• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A amplifier

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Goodman said:
I have stated my opinion from my experience, most High end dealers will agree.
1)Opinions are not facts. Your "experience" is not a repeatable measurement. This is Audio Science Review, not AudioPhile Echo Chamber.
2)A high end dealer is positively the LAST person I would ask about anything to do with audio. Most of them have been corrupted by selling overpriced and high margin crap to unsuspecting suckers. It's so easy to make money that way that they turn away from "honest work".
3) Amir tests anything someone sends him.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
You choosing who the Ferrari is and who the Chevrolet is without scientific measurements / method - highly subjective.
From science' POV, none of the brands you posted (10k$ amps) come close to a 3k$ class D amp from Benchmark (AHB2). Read the measurements and compare.
The way I see it:
Ferrari = Benchmark AHB2 (class D) and the amps that measure well
Chevrolet = audiophile BS that doesn't even have clear measurements posted by manufacturer

Back to the thread:
@rman9 IMO your system is fine. Enjoy the music and apply room correction if you can. No need for new stuff other then room correction IMO. (I agree with @Galliardist )
That why it is class A recommend component in Stereophile. Too bad AMIR don't do volt time domain square wave graph of it. It draw like those reference amplifier. He assume it is hard for everyone to hear when amplifier gonna sound the same with similar graph not useful at all. To me, it is very useful to me as I do sound design. No transistor gonna produce the perfect square wave, you are gonna to heard it amplified under safe listening level.

levimax

Major Contributor
That why it is class A recommend component in Stereophile. Too bad AMIR don't do volt time domain square wave graph of it. It draw like those reference amplifier. He assume it is hard for everyone to hear when amplifier gonna sound the same with similar graph not useful at all. To me, it is very useful to me as I do sound design. No transistor gonna produce the perfect square wave, you are gonna to heard it amplified under safe listening level.
@Amir has done square wave testing but it doesn't show anything that is not in the other measurements so he doesn't do them any more. No amp can reproduce a "perfect square waves" as you would need unlimited bandwidth. The best use of a square wave is when doing repair on an amp... a quick look at a square wave can give you a lot of information on where to look for the problem.

kongwee

Major Contributor
@Amir has done square wave testing but it doesn't show anything that is not in the other measurements so he doesn't do them any more. No amp can reproduce a "perfect square waves" as you would need unlimited bandwidth. The best use of a square wave is when doing repair on an amp... a quick look at a square wave can give you a lot of information on where to look for the problem.
For I can draw a little notch on square wave, can able to tell the difference in sound design. It will go through lots of filter and process and listen how it stand out in mix. Of course for playback, I won't able to differential a notch in the square wave. It is not for work, it is enjoyment. Nobody it is listening square wave as music.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
You choosing who the Ferrari is and who the Chevrolet is without scientific measurements / method - highly subjective.
From science' POV, none of the brands you posted (10k$ amps) come close to a 3k$ class D amp from Benchmark (AHB2). Read the measurements and compare.
The way I see it:
Ferrari = Benchmark AHB2 (class D) and the amps that measure well
Chevrolet = audiophile BS that doesn't even have clear measurements posted by manufacturer

Back to the thread:
@rman9 IMO your system is fine. Enjoy the music and apply room correction if you can. No need for new stuff other then room correction IMO. (I agree with @Galliardist )
When did the AHB2 become a class D design? I thought it was class H with a preceding AB stage

Edit. My description is a little simplistic... here's how Benchmark describe it
The AHB2 - A Radical Approach to Audio Power Amplification - Benchmark Media Systems

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Anyone says they are outdated is full of it.
What I was saying is they should not be made anymore, all good with the existing ones. But hey in 2022, how appropriate is it to have a device that is only 25 - 50% efficient and the rest of the power is wasted... doesn't sound appropriate to me considering the state the planet is in. When we get fusion power going commercially, go for it.
Those Magico A3s won’t do with 20 watts rms as manufacturer recommends at least 50 watts to drive each one.
Agree.

JSmith

I would not buy a class D amp with your money.
If you like unneccessarily expensive, heavy, inefficient, high distortion technology from past decades, class A fills the bill perfectly. If you want state of the art, distortion so low you’ll never hear it, and output levels that will blow the roof off, save yourself money, time and eliminate disappointment by getting a good class D amp.
You don’t know what you’re talking about!

Goodman

You sound like the kind of customer they would look forward to building a long and profitable relationship with.
Do you thinks hi fi dealers are useless, deceitful, and ignorent? I have read comments to that affect.
Goodman said:

1)Opinions are not facts. Your "experience" is not a repeatable measurement. This is Audio Science Review, not AudioPhile Echo Chamber.
2)A high end dealer is positively the LAST person I would ask about anything to do with audio. Most of them have been corrupted by selling overpriced and high margin crap to unsuspecting suckers. It's so easy to make money that way that they turn away from "honest work".
Goodman said:

Actually, opinions do have a place on this forum, some people are qualified to have an opinion, some are not.
Amir went to a show recently, and he expressed his opinion on some of the gear he heard.
You have posted your set up on this forum, all classic high end audio, if I was looking to buy vintage audio, I would welcome your opinion.
High end audio dealers are not in majority money hungry parasites and thiefs, Lots of dealers are honest and knowledgeable. It is work and not easy money as you say.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You got your Mask on don’t you?
Please none of this crap here... play the ball, not the man, or you risk making yourself come across as disingenuous.

Do you have any facts to post in support of your claims or simply poor innuendo?

JSmith

Please none of this crap here... play the ball, not the man, or you risk making yourself come across as disingenuous.

Do you have any facts to post in support of your claims or simply poor innuendo?

I’m just responding to a non-audio related opinion with a like wise rebuttal. Can you take a joke or were You serious?

JSmith

Master Contributor
non-audio related opinion
It's a fact that class A amps are extremely inefficient in power usage and per watt they are stupidly expensive. Amp type/topology is irrelevant in relation to audio performance... an amp either measures well across the board or it doesn't. So what was your point again? I love a good joke, see my posts around the forum, however no part of your post came across as a light hearted joke in any way and it now seems you're trying to cover your tracks and move the goalposts somewhat. Since you're new here however, I will (for now) take you on your word and assume I have misinterpreted your direction here.

JSmith

Class A amps are very linear and I have one that can drive a speaker down to 1 ohm which many now can’t even drive down to 2 ohms. I need an amp for the type of speakers i own.Some people own powerful super cars and you seem to be the kind of person that would like to outlaw what you don’t like. I don’t need to hear that and I don’t care if you like it or not.

kongwee

Major Contributor
As much as I can understand class A doesn't break up the AC signal like other type of class B or class AB. That why people want gryhon, boulder, pass lab.....etc

JSmith

Master Contributor
Class A amps are very linear
So are many class D based amps... your point?
I have one that can drive a speaker down to 1 ohm which many now can’t even drive down to 2 ohms.
That's nice... sound like you need an amp with lots of power and no load dependency that measures very well.
Some people own powerful super cars
Poor analogy, as with amps price has stuff all to do with power available.
I don’t need to hear that
Best not to visit forums then maybe where discussions occur. ;)

JSmith

So are many class D based amps... your point?

That's nice... sound like you need an amp with lots of power and no load dependency that measures very well.

Poor analogy, as with amps price has stuff all to do with power available.

Best not to visit forums then maybe where discussions occur. ;)

Best not to listen to you or take any of your illogical advice.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Audioexcellent please, learn to quote and reply properly on this forum...
It may be deliberate to make oneself unquotable… well, almost:
Best not to listen to you or take any of your illogical advice.
You sound like this:
1643874987586.jpeg

So what is that logic you talk about? Please elaborate!

0bs3rv3r

As much as I can understand class A doesn't break up the AC signal like other type of class B or class AB. That why people want gryhon, boulder, pass lab.....etc

That thinking arises from a very poor understanding of the electronics. In one way it is true, but it is being used to justify something that is not true.

Top Bottom