• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I may have missed this... why is it a safety hazard?

Where to start?

The IEC three pin socket is not chassis earthed. You cannot fit one and not earth it.

Alternatively, the wiring is not up to double insulated standard and unsafe (no insulation/poor soldering/chassis gnd resistor to neutral). So we have a metal chassis device that appears to have a earth pin, but is not earthed and not properly or insulated constructed. It fails on both counts.

Look at the active power switch soldering. It is disgusting. As is the mains fuse holder soldering- no quality work, insulation etc.

What is holding the power supply in place? A bit of sticky black foam tape?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And where would a layperson see this "safety ground"?

They would see a correctly terminated green/yellow wire going from the centre pin of the IEC 3 pin socket to an eyelet, screw, spring washer, washer and two nuts directly physically and electrically mounted to the chassis.

There is a resistor connecting the neutral to the chassis. Something done back in the bad old days.

traderitch

Where to start?

The IEC three pin socket is not chassis earthed. You cannot fit one and not earth it.

The wiring is not up to double insulated standard and unsafe (no insulation/poor soldering/chassis gnd resistor to neutral). So we have a metal chassis device that appears to have a earth pin, but is not earthed and not properly insulated constructed.

Look at the active power switch soldering. It is disgusting. As is the mains fuse holder soldering- no quality work, insulation etc.

What is holding the power supply in place? A bit of sticky black foam tape?
I really appreciate your response. I do not believe one should be flippant in response to an inquiry related to safety.

As far as IEC three pin sockets not being chassis earthed. My personal observation of modern audio equipment is the third pin is not being used as you can see in in this Marantz AV8805 (reviewed here in February 2019)

Attachments

• Hotspot_Marantz_AV8805A_Hotspot-rear-panel-1200w.png
    Hotspot_Marantz_AV8805A_Hotspot-rear-panel-1200w.png
    988.7 KB · Views: 199

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have missed this... why is it a safety hazard?
OK. I'll bite. This is a crop of a picture from post #1. You can see that there are wires carrying 120 VAC soldered to tabs of the switch, PCB, fuse holder, etc. If one of them came loose, it may short 120 VAC to the chassis. This is a single point failure that can cause the chassis to become a lethal hazard, and is a huge no-no.

carver.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I really appreciate your response. I do not believe one should be flippant in response to an inquiry related to safety.

As far as IEC three pin sockets not being chassis earthed. My personal observation of modern audio equipment is the third pin is not being used as you can see in in this Marantz AV8805 (reviewed here in February 2019)
1642377144567.png

This isn't a Class I device and that's not a three pin IEC. Note the symbol.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Neat. Thanks. Will pick one up. Being a woodworker I have moisture sensor but has pins.
Delmhorst capacitance meters (with pins) are pretty much the gold standard. Pinless only if you really, really, really do not want small holes in the material that need to be skimmed over.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

It is a Class ii device and is fitted (correctly) with a two pin IEC and the Double insulated symbol. Look at your own picture:
1642377684327.png

Thermionics

Thanks for the measurement Amir! :)

Well what to say. If you are now going tube way see also relation to price, I think this seems interesting:
(think of service, possible recap and so on when considering a purchase)

This is just as interesting, see attached picture:

Advantage Dynaco ST 70. It is so famous. There is a demand. Just find out where the used price is usually in the country you live in. Buy and sell for more or less the same price. So you then you have tested on a tube amp. Or you may keep it, what do I know. The taste is different and varies.:)
Or build your own...

Thermionics

“Sideshow” is the word that comes to mind.

Unlike many (older) folks I don’t have warm fuzzies about the Carver name. My first exposure was the Sunfire “True Subwoofer,” an amusical thing that got loud pretty low in a small cabinet but otherwise had no virtues. The Carver “ribbon” speaker Circuit City sold (long planar, maybe downfiring woofer) sounded very disjointed. He may have been right on fact with the Stereophile amp challenge thing but his approach belonged in a circus ring. So I’m not shocked by the all-show nature of this amp.
Sadly, I was thinking of another kind of show upon seeing those measurements. When I heard about the new Bob Carver tube amps, I was initially interested, glad I was too poor to indulge.

traderitch

It is a Class ii device and is fitted (correctly) with a two pin IEC and the Double insulated symbol. Look at your own picture:
View attachment 179514
Restorer-john,

I was seeking information - had I recognized the difference in 'my own picture' I would not have inquired and posted.
It is difficult to interpret inflection in the written word so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that your intent was to be helpful.

Thunder22

Restorer-john,

I was seeking information - had I recognized the difference in 'my own picture' I would not have inquired and posted.
It is difficult to interpret inflection in the written word so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that your intent was to be helpful.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that your intent is not to be a troll.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Restorer-john,

You said:

And you post a picture of a two pin IEC socket in support of your 'personal observation'. What do you expect? :facepalm:

You will not see a 3 pin IEC socket on any major brand product where it is double insulated (class ii) or not actually earthed. It is illegal.

Greg P

I've said this in another forum, but I'll repeat it here. IMO, this was a "concept" amp. The design itself isn't sloppy (even if the build is). Take a small OPT, use a hefty amount of compensation and a few technical tricks, run the tubes cool, cool, cool, get some good peak power in the midrange, and maybe some harmonic doubling (or something like that) in the lows. 15 watts continuous suffices for a lot of people.
ETA: I guess it turned out to be more of an Edsel than a Cobra, but hell, a lot of people liked their Edsels!

The Edsel was a very decent and well-built car for its time. I think that the Yugo is the better comparison....

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Neither would be that wonderful, as in the case of the Quad, PW explained in at least one interview that his work in 'listening' to his earlier designs was to try to 'tune' distortions away from our most sensitive frequencies so hopefully they wouldn't be noticed. I have a set of (Glenn Croft) rebuilt Quad II's here and into more lively speakers than the 'Thunderboxes' I current need to use, they sound absolutely 'glorious' I have to say (so does the good-example 303 here, but we're talking valves so shan't go further). The TL12's I borrowed were really odd. Connect to a different speaker and they sounded 'odd' for half an hour, after which they seemed stable enough. Go back to the original speakers and these too sounded less good for half an hour. No idea what was going on electrically, but at the time I found it repeatable, so *hopefully* not merely 'sighted shenanigans.'

My now older Brit perspective wants some of the better E.A.R amps tested and for the subjective based forums, the ever recommended Leben boxes which hide the valves behind a dated looking front panel. PrimaLuna (another bad measuring but popular unintentional? equaliser-amp) seems to have been amply covered in Stereophile.
Thanks for that. Another valve fave (for reviewers: I"ve never heard one) was the Michaelson & Austin TVA. I did hear a Beard valve amp somewhere once and it sounded not bad at all, FWIW.

PeteL

Major Contributor
This amp makes objective claims that is appealing to people as far was power. No doubt there is good commonality between people who buy it and our readership.
Possible, but anyway you look at it, after these measurments there won't be any sales from this community, regardless of what they can come up with to defend them. Maybe they simply have nothing to argue against? I believe than in these cases of such poorness, you just wish as a manufacturer for the thread to gain the least interest possible, and the enthousiasm for it to fade. You don't come here and fuel the fire. I am pretty certain that Mr Clark thing is some guy going rogue, Not any communications on behalf of Bob Carver's company.

traderitch

You said:

And you post a picture of a two pin IEC socket in support of your 'personal observation'. What do you expect? :facepalm:

You will not see a 3 pin IEC socket on any major brand product where it is double insulated (class ii) or not actually earthed. It is illegal.
I had hoped your response would have only included the second sentence.
That would have been sufficient.

Top Bottom