• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Mosfet

You know, Arny Krueger always said that the 'legendary' guy went rogue. Now I see why.

Thunder22

One could purchase this amp, listen for a year, then purchase and switch to a well measuring amp recommended from ASR. If so, said person could post about how "the veil has been lifted" and it would actually make sense.

traderitch

This would be one thing if it just measured poorly. It blew multiple fuses in the course of normal operation. This is like if you went to step on it at a green light and your Range Rover threw a rod.

(Three times.)
I do see the point you are trying to articulate but as an owner of a CF275 I have never blown a fuse in the course of normal operation (or at any point)

Again, I am not defending the specifications. The amp is used in one of the systems in my home. This one happens to be in my home office.
It powers a pair of KEF LS50 (with the port plugs removed.) Plenty of bass in my application.

My understanding is the dealers do not get many of the production amps returned to them for 'throwing a rod'. Don't you believe there would be an onslaught of returns had this been an issue in real world application of the product?

I believe I am safe in using this statistic - over 90% of the comments on this thread are from people that do not own nor have ever used a production 275.

Attachments

• IMG_2137.thumb.jpeg.4bd927644f56b7400be69e7bdcb913e3.jpeg
    IMG_2137.thumb.jpeg.4bd927644f56b7400be69e7bdcb913e3.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 167

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I believe I am safe in using this statistic - over 90% of the comments on this thread are from people that do not own nor have ever used a production 275.
Which is good, because it's a safety hazard and fraudulently advertised and promoted. 90% of people here aren't gullible.

traderitch

Which is good, because it's a safety hazard and fraudulently advertised and promoted. 90% of people here aren't gullible.
I may have missed this... why is it a safety hazard?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I do see the point you are trying to articulate but as an owner of a CF275 I have never blown a fuse in the course of normal operation (or at any point)

Again, I am not defending the specifications. The amp is used in one of the systems in my home. This one happens to be in my home office.
It powers a pair of KEF LS50 (with the port plugs removed.) Plenty of bass in my application.

My understanding is the dealers do not get many of the production amps returned to them for 'throwing a rod'. Don't you believe there would be an onslaught of returns had this been an issue in real world application of the product?

Ha! I have that same Phase Linear tuner in my rack.

traderitch

Ha! I have that same Phase Linear tuner in my rack.
It too received some less than stellar reviews in the day (I may need to seek therapy)
I recapped the power supply and it has been a great performer. Pulls in weak stations and
the processing speed is very good.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
ASR needs a wall of shame for products that are poorly constructed, potentially unsafe, don't meet advertised specifications or breach consumer codes/laws.

We have a number of reviewed products already to get the ball rolling.

Chazz6

Here are some posts from a thread about the Crimson 275 on another forum in 2019-20. To be impartial, the thread also contains several reports that the user loves the sound.

I was talking to my cousin who is also a two-channel freak about the Crimson 275's. He said that when he was looking at tube amps he was talking to one of Conrad Johnson's techs and he asked him about the Crimson 275's. The tech said that he would like to see what a Crimson 275 looks like inside because he can't understand how the Crimson 275's can run their tubes so cool without it having some sort of circuitry in the device, making it not a true tub[e] amp.

A remark from the real boss of the Carver company, Frank Malitz:
We designed the amplifier so that the output stage has very little impact on the overall character. We do this so we can fuse the output stage without disadvantages. This allows our amps to repair defective tubes. The basic character is determined by the input tubes and output Transformers.

Dispute over reliability:
Fmalitz said: We rarely get in a Carver product for service even now.
Rolland at Hi-Tech Audio gets them in everyday. He also purchased all the inventory Carver had left to repair them.

Frank Malitz again:
The power supply in our tube type amps is not a tracking power supply. It’s quite simple and conventional. The key is in the execution, not the technology. There is no trick circuitry other than the DC restorer and, possibly heavily responsible for the character of the product, the unique separate feedback loop only for back EMF so the amp can listen to your room and preserve the ambience on the recording.

Report of a buzz; go to the link for a .flac file of the sound:
The one issue I have with the Crimson 275 is a buzzing sound. It's not super loud, but it is loud enough that during quiet moments or between songs it can be distracting. I have tried an Audio by Van Alstine Humdinger and an Emotiva CMX-2. Neither have changed the level of the buzz, making me think it is just a trait of the amp. The buzz is exactly the same with either DC line blocker, a power conditioner, or direct to the wall.

Second report of a buzz:
From what I could gather, you are talking about a buzzing from just the transformers, and not your speakers, correct? My 275 transformers emit a very slight buzzing which can only be heard with no music playing and an ear close to the amp.
... and followup:
In the end I did not keep the Crimson 275. I also have a PrimaLuna amplifier and it has absolutely no transformer buzz when used at the same outlet. So I think some transformer buzz is just inherent in the design of the Crimson 275.

A post from Dec. 2020. A quick look at Clark's product page just now did not show me a picture of the innards:
Jim Clark has stated that he plans on opening a 275 up and posting a picture of the inner workings on his site in the near future.

How hot? Subsequent posts discussed whether an IR thermometer is appropriate:
Regardless of Bob Carver's claim, keeping your hand on top one of the KT120's on a 275 after playing awhile is not something you will endure for long! Mine has been running non stop for about 5 hours now at a normal listening level and a quick check with a non contact IR thermometer shows the temp at the top of the tubes at 150° to 160°.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have missed this... why is it a safety hazard?
If there was a current surge for one reason or another out of the device, the excess current will go to your other electronics (blowing them up, potentially setting them on fire) instead of going to the ground as the device is not grounded.

traderitch

I'm baffled by someone defending this product in the slightest. Wonder how those Kefs would sound if you spent the same money on a real 75 watt tube amp?
I am sincerely interested in the safety issues you mentioned.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It too received some less than stellar reviews in the day (I may need to seek therapy)
I recapped the power supply and it has been a great performer. Pulls in weak stations and
the processing speed is very good.
Mine started turning itself off several months ago so I re-capped all the usual suspects in the power supply and station preset memory. Its better, but still turns itself off sometimes. I hate to take it out of the rack again because it is a monumental pain involving first removing a ton of other gear, but at some point I may be forced to do another deep dive into it. On the plus side, a schematic was included along with the owner's manual, so good on them for that. Looking inside at the guts, this tuner appears to be designed by some Asian contractor for Phase Linear and it makes heavy use of ASICs.

The performance I've been getting from it has been satisfactory since I bought it back in the 70s.

Thunder22

ASR needs a wall of shame for products that are poorly constructed, potentially unsafe, don't meet advertised specifications or breach consumer codes/laws.

We have a number of reviewed products already to get the ball rolling.
I have one at work featuring many tradespeople. My advice, start now, because I have already forgotten most of the ones in the early days that should of been hung.

Top Bottom