• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

lherrm

yeah because they sound awesome, so if you don't see it you won't know how bad they are ;)
I didn't imply they have to sound bad because they don't measure flat. Probably they can sound great.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
yeah because they sound awesome, so if you don't see it you won't know how bad they are ;)
You can hear how bad they are at every store that sells them. I still remember when I heard the KEF 207 Reference next to a pair of B&W 800 series. It was not even close. At that point B&W still was one of the premier loudspeaker manufacturers in my mind and it was a real shock when I heard how much better the KEF's were. Imagine that, being so bad that your badness completely obliterates all positive mind share you had prior to the session.

What speaker company doesn't use marketing lol
That's not the point.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mean I don't want to create more aggravation in this thread but came across this youtube video of B&W 805 D4.
This was sibilance galore! Unlistenable even with my Sennheiser HD660. I can't imagine how would this sound with some Focal headphones. Not sure what went wrong here. Was it the room acoustics, microphone, recording, or speakers? The setup looks to be a top-notch audiophile dream. Speakers are pulled away in the room and the only thing that is missing is the cable raisers.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was it the room acoustics, microphone, recording, or speakers?
I would say mainly the mic or the wrong equalisation used at the recording, although the 805 D4 has some elevated highs it does not sound like that bad by far.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I mean I don't want to create more aggravation in this thread but came across this youtube video of B&W 805 D4.
This was sibilance galore! Unlistenable even with my Sennheiser HD660. I can't imagine how would this sound with some Focal headphones. Not sure what went wrong here. Was it the room acoustics, microphone, recording, or speakers? The setup looks to be a top-notch audiophile dream. Speakers are pulled away in the room and the only thing that is missing is the cable raisers.

It sounds super sibilant as a recording (performance?) when I listen on YouTube with headphones.

jkr

That tweeter will rip your head off on the D2 and up. They removed the series tweeter resistor on all the newer diamonds. There is a place for them however they do not install them. My D1's has the resistor installed and I do like the way they sound. I can make them completely disappear unlike the D2's and newer. I'm an old audiophile / Mastering Engineer so I don't have the best HF hearing. Even so them new Diamonds are uncomfortable. The measurements prove this.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
801D4 in German Audio mag.

801D4.jpg

800D3 also from Audio for comparison.

800D3.jpg

Last edited:

atsmusic

You can hear how bad they are at every store that sells them. I still remember when I heard the KEF 207 Reference next to a pair of B&W 800 series. It was not even close. At that point B&W still was one of the premier loudspeaker manufacturers in my mind and it was a real shock when I heard how much better the KEF's were. Imagine that, being so bad that your badness completely obliterates all positive mind share you had prior to the session.

That's not the point.
Actually I hear how incredibly good they are almost every day since I own the 800 D3s

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
804D4 on Stereophile Jan/22 issue. Quite impressive port resonances for a 12.5k usd pair of speakers. At least JA was fair in criticizing them.

804D4.jpg

Last edited:

lherrm

Please stop posting charts of B&W speakers as we all know they are as much fabulous as they're not accurate.
Thanks.

atsmusic

804D4 on Stereophile Jan/22 issue. Quite impressive port resonances for a 12.5k usd pair of speakers. At least JA was fair in criticizing them.

View attachment 172292
I read that review and he seemed to like them no? He also said he toured the B&W factory and believes the speaker measures how B&W wants it to.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that review and he seemed to like them no? He also said he toured the B&W factory and believes the speaker measures how B&W wants it to.
The tonal balance yes, but the ports resonances are of course not deliberate.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 172292
And this is supposed to be the most uber ultra reference? Sure…

When you see that kind of response…it’s evident that JA opinion is a paid one, a factory tour only add up to the reasoning. Justifying that as an intended “design choice” (port resonance)…cmon.

atsmusic

And this is supposed to be the most uber ultra reference? Sure…

When you see that kind of response…it’s evident that JA opinion is a paid one, a factory tour only add up to the reasoning. Justifying that as an intended “design choice” (port resonance)…cmon.
The fact remains that the speaker is how B&W wants it to be at least as far as the FR

Top Bottom