• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which material to use in acoustic panels?

renemartin

Hi, I want to make 4 DIY acoustic panels.
I've read on reddit that the important thing is the thickness of the material, not have to worry about material type itself.

But I have no experience, what should i choose?
I like that polyester thing or rockwool 'cause of the thickness they provide. More leaned toward polyester 'cause less harmful then rockwool I guess.

What y'all think? Thanks

type: Molded foam
panel size: 100x50x14 cm
panel price: 45€

type: polyester
panel size: 100x50x12 cm (or can be 100x50x15 if i take one more)
panel price: 25€ (or 31€)

type: acoustic foam
panel size: 100x50x12 cm
panel price: 30€

type: rockwool
panel size: 100x50x12 cm (or 100x50x16)
panel price: 20€ (or 30€ https://www.baustore.sk/tepelna-izo...8axl_JFZ0LcJixV6t4QipFpaND80deMRoCmcEQAvD_BwE)

Ciobi69

Hi, I want to make 4 DIY acoustic panels.
I've read on reddit that the important thing is the thickness of the material, not have to worry about material type itself.

I like that polyester thing or rockwool 'cause of the thickness they provide. More leaned toward polyester 'cause less harmful then rockwool I guess.

What y'all think? Thanks

type: Molded foam
panel size: 100x50x14 cm
panel price: 45€

type: polyester
panel size: 100x50x12 cm (or can be 100x50x15 if i take one more)
panel price: 25€ (or 31€)

type: acoustic foam
panel size: 100x50x12 cm
panel price: 30€

type: rockwool
panel size: 100x50x12 cm (or 100x50x16)
panel price: 20€ (or 30€ https://www.baustore.sk/tepelna-izo...8axl_JFZ0LcJixV6t4QipFpaND80deMRoCmcEQAvD_BwE)
rockwool

harleydave

I just made 3 for ceiling and 2 for behind bookshelf speakers. I used rockwool and came out nice.
tatladies.jpg
skulls.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Rockwool, or Corning OC-703 are commonly used to make panels. If you need to absorb bass, get the thickest you can fit and live with. I used 4" (10 cm) panels on the sides and 6" (15 cm) at the front and back, with angled 6" panels across the front corners (no room in the back) that had an additional 6" behind. Also ceiling panels. The link in my signature has pictures of my system and room.

Anonamemouse

This is by far the best:
No itchy mess like rockwool, really easy to work with, excellent acoustic properties.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To build "reasonable" absorbers, you need either the absorption coefficients at different frequencies for each material used or, even better, the length-specific flow resistance, then you can simulate the absorption coefficient versus frequency yourself with the appropriate tools.

Simply attaching any rock wool to the wall can have negative effects, especially in the upper base to upper midrange area.

To get you started, translate this website, it contains many tables with length-specific flow resistances, link to simulation tool and simulations of many different absorbers:

Or any other website that deals with this topic in more detail.

Ciobi69

To build "reasonable" absorbers, you need either the absorption coefficients at different frequencies for each material used or, even better, the length-specific flow resistance, then you can simulate the absorption coefficient versus frequency yourself with the appropriate tools.

Simply attaching any rock wool to the wall can have negative effects, especially in the upper base to upper midrange area.

To get you started, translate this website, it contains many tables with length-specific flow resistances, link to simulation tool and simulations of many different absorbers:

Or any other website that deals with this topic in more detail.
As he said every material has is properties in my case in my room i used rock wool and rock glass, the fibers cant go anywhere because i used a very ligth material like fabric,

ozzy9832001

I use rockwool and pink fluffy depending on what I'm trying to do. I find for very thick traps (great than say 10") mixing pink fluffy with rockwool gives the best result.

Top Bottom