• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help identifying old interconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
As for my personal opinions, I don’t think “expensive cables” are required for that but I am very interested in the science behind different conductor materials and why silver sounds brighter to me than copper.

That part is 100% placebo. Absolutely no doubt about it.

The only difference between silver and copper is a few % of specific resistance. But when you think about the colors of the two metals, it makes it very easy for cognitive bias to take hold.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And how do you suppose that cable reviews will tell me what this cable is or why it was used. I am struggling with what everyone if focusing on here. Is it that difficult to review the subject matter?
Not that difficult, reviews of the subject matter include:

Prana Ferox

I'm failing to see how any of that was helpful. Tho id be lying if I said I wasnt expecting a fair bit of short-sightedness given my experiences reading on this forum (albeit not "registered") since about 2008. Ill be sure to let my mentor know he is, in fact, wrong and his ears have been lying to him for decades. Thank you for your contribution.

There are a lot of things I thought were better back in the '90s

The point is that it is very common in 'audiophile interconnects' for large portions of the assembly to be not in the signal path, connected to other parts or functional in any way. Quite frequently they're assembled in a way that actually introduces interference or strange, undesirable electric characteristics, mitigated only by the generally short runs. Attempting to reverse engineer them starts with the likely faulty premise that they were forward engineered.

When you ask "why or what benefits would come of being made with this type of connector" the answer is quite likely "nothing, or even detriment" and when you ask "why do they sound so much better than a small box of cables dumped in front of me totaling over $10,000" the answer is likely "because none of this matters, including all the flimflammery of those other cables, and who trusts 25+ year old ear memory anyway"

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you. So since a microphone cable is essential in recordings, why not use it to transfer the analog signal in the same way a studio does? An interesting theory, fueled by a desire to create the most accurate recreation for sound I suppose. Now whether or not it worked is here nor there lol.
I do not understand your question. I did not really read this thread, just skimmed and tossed out my knowledge that it is a common cable configuration. Microphone cables tend to not use Teflon but a cheaper, more flexible insulation, but typically do have the outer coaxial shield. Most professional (and some consumer) gear uses balanced/differential components and interconnects for lower noise, lower distortion, and higher noise immunity. Single-ended connections for consumers are fine in the vast majority of cases as evidenced by decades of use.

Aside: A mic cable, to a microphone, is needed when the source does not have a direct feed like many guitars, keyboards, and such. Electronic music can be created all in the computer with no analog cables until the speakers.

Last edited:
OP
B

Briank

Not that difficult, reviews of the subject matter include:
Thanks but a thread on a 3.5mm to rca adapter cable is not helpful in this instance, nor is a thread on a single conductor video cable. I don’t have time to read every single thread on rca cables on the internet. Asking questions is the most efficient use of my time.

OP
B

Briank

That part is 100% placebo. Absolutely no doubt about it.

The only difference between silver and copper is a few % of specific resistance. But when you think about the colors of the two metals, it makes it very easy for cognitive bias to take hold.
Wonderful, I’m ecstatic you feel that way. I’m not here for that debate.

OP
B

Briank

There are a lot of things I thought were better back in the '90s

The point is that it is very common in 'audiophile interconnects' for large portions of the assembly to be not in the signal path, connected to other parts or functional in any way. Quite frequently they're assembled in a way that actually introduces interference or strange, undesirable electric characteristics, mitigated only by the generally short runs. Attempting to reverse engineer them starts with the likely faulty premise that they were forward engineered.
I understand, that's why I'm asking about this type of construction. You could say that about anything that was engineered. No one engineers something to be worse with the intent to do so. Although it sure seems that way these days.
When you ask "why or what benefits would come of being made with this type of connector" the answer is quite likely "nothing, or even detriment" and when you ask "why do they sound so much better than a small box of cables dumped in front of me totaling over $10,000" the answer is likely "because none of this matters, including all the flimflammery of those other cables, and who trusts 25+ year old ear memory anyway"
Of course, and if I asked on a different forum I would get varying answers on the matter there as well. But I'm also here to learn, if its no benefit, cool...if its a detriment I would like to know why. Over the past 3 decades do we know that twisting a tin coated wire with a copper one degrades the signal? I don't know, does it matter? Maybe! If I make some cables maybe I won't want to use that type.

OP
B

Briank

It’s not a debate it’s a fact , different metals does not sound different . It is quite possibly to be just wrong .
lol sweet man. How can you determine a scientific fact based on someone else's perception of sound? Regardless, not here for that debate. :)

OP
B

Briank

I do not understand your question. I did not really read this thread, just skimmed and tossed out my knowledge that it is a common cable configuration. Microphone cables tend to not use Teflon but a cheaper, more flexible insulation, but typically do have the outer coaxial shield. Most professional (and some consumer) gear uses balanced/differential components and interconnects for lower noise, lower distortion, and higher noise immunity. Single-ended connections for consumers are fine in the vast majority of cases as evidenced by decades of use.
It was more a rhetorical one, presumptive, I guess. Maybe a thought they had when they created it.
Thank you, that is helpful information.
Aside: A mic cable, to a microphone, is needed when the source does not have a direct feed like many guitars, keyboards, and such. Electronic music can be created all in the computer with no analog cables until the speakers.
Of course, I was just implying in a live music scenario where mics are used for recording. ie: voices, guitars, drums etc

Audiofire

How can you determine a scientific fact based on someone else's perception of sound?
Sound quality of a cable is determined by distortion, noise and frequency response. All can be measured for example Room EQ Wizard and decent audio interface. There was already the link to Battle of RCA Cables that measured it ... Of course all this is determined by connected amplifiers and transducers normally.

Which leads me to my questions; What in the world is going on here? Any thoughts as to what cable this is, and why or what benefits would come of being made with this type of connector? Twin axial cable typically carries a higher impedance over the supposed standard of 75ohms. What am I missing, and why do they sound so much better than a small box of cables dumped in front of me totaling over $10,000?
None of that matters for neutral linear sound (hi-fi), which is why nobody seems to care in the replies.

Last edited:
OP
B

Briank

Sound quality of a cable is determined by distortion, noise and frequency response. All can be measured for example Room EQ Wizard and decent audio interface. There was already the link to Battle of RCA Cables that measured it ...
In this case I don't think lumping signal quality and "sound" quality is appropriate. Signal quality is quantifiable, which is also of interest to me. Sound quality is entirely subjective; if I give someone a RadioShack cable and ones made with mogami and they tell me they want the RadioShack because it sounds better to them. Who am I to say? Im not gonna argue with them and tell them they're not hearing what they think they're hearing until they pick the mogami...nor would I do that for opposite scenario. I can't tell them they're not hearing what they hear, that's silly. Nor do I care. If you like it, cool, if you don't, also cool.
None of that matters for neutral linear sound (hi-fi), which is why nobody seems to care in the replies.
Then why reply

OP
B

Briank

Sound quality of a cable is determined by distortion, noise and frequency response. All can be measured for example Room EQ Wizard and decent audio interface. There was already the link to Battle of RCA Cables that measured it ... Of course all this is determined by connected amplifiers and transducers normally.

Also I should have said "supposedly" sound better than a box of $10,000 cables as I don't have a pair to listen to.

Apesbrain

I can’t even find another interconnect that uses this vampire style connector.
Apparently now defunct, I remember when "Vampire Wire" was a brand of packaged cable. Pricing was similar to Monster Cable.

Clipboard01.jpg

olieb

Thanks but a thread on a 3.5mm to rca adapter cable is not helpful in this instance, nor is a thread on a single conductor video cable. I don’t have time to read every single thread on rca cables on the internet. Asking questions is the most efficient use of my time.
Well, I guess it depends to some degree on the questions you ask.
... why silver sounds brighter to me than copper.
This one probably does not lead to efficient use of time. Just my 2ct.

OP
B

Briank

Apparently now defunct, I remember when "Vampire Wire" was a brand of packaged cable. Pricing was similar to Monster Cable.

View attachment 353590
Yes sir that’s the brand! Tho the internals allow for a soldered ground instead of using a sleeve over braiding.

OP
B

Briank

Well, I guess it depends to some degree on the questions you ask.

This one probably does not lead to efficient use of time. Just my 2ct.
As are many things. The same can be said for auditioning amps to pick out sonic differences or to find out what a house brands sound is. It was worth it once to find out if there were any differences and if I liked them. Lots of variables, like if your speakers are even resolving enough to expose the differences.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Wonderful, I’m ecstatic you feel that way. I’m not here for that debate.

Suit yourself. However, you did say that you were "very interested in the science behind different conductor materials".

We are simply telling you that the actual science behind different conductor materials makes the the idea of silver sounding bright completely ridiculous. I wish there was a nicer way of saying it, but there isn't.

The science of psychology have no problem explaining the experience, and therefore the risk of it being caused by cognitive bias is absolutely massive compared to anything else.

There's really no debate to be had.

OP
B

Briank

I mean, you didn't exactly get a lot of support for your point of view in this thread. A lot of people here are satisfied with the Battle of RCA Cables test.
Lol I didnt have a point of view to be discussed but it was obviously interpreted that way. Perhaps it was how I typed it, my bad. Everyone ignored the reason for the post and attacked me at the point of most contention, the dreaded “do cables make a difference” theory. I just wanted info on the cable and its construction. I was satisfied with the study too, but it only addressed one issue on the matter. The debate on how someone perceives sound, no matter how much you or I hate it or reference studies, will never be over. And it can’t, it will always remain subjective.

And I don’t have a point of view on that cable or it’s construction, tho the owner does, I was just conveying it. The construction and some possibilities as to why or if there’s science behind it is all I’m interested in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom