• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help identifying old interconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briank

Greetings all, i'm new in my "hi-fi" audiophile journey but not to audio, wires and cabling. In a recent discussion with a dear audiophile friend of mine, and audiophile of 40 years who is mentoring me in my journey, when discussing interconnects he mentioned the best sounding interconnects he's ever heard, Discovery cables, and then mentioned they have been broken since the 90's. He tried to have them fixed years ago but the person he gave them to said they couldn't do it for whatever reason so he just put them in storage and never got around to sending them in. He has been using a pair of Audioquest and Tara labs interconnects that are somewhat close but has always wanted the Discovery cables in his system. I was intrigued and I work with many types of wires and cables in my industry so I offered to take a look at them. In my hours of research over several days, learning that Discovery has been out of business and with lots of image searching to no avail, I cant seem to find another pair of interconnects made with this cable. The cable is black, no part numbers or lettering other than "Discovery" with the seemingly requisite directional arrows. The cable is very stiff (obviously, given the braided metal shield) and is 8.25mm in diameter. This is not the exact cable in question since they are not currently in my possession but it is an exact representation;
lighter

It appears to be a twin axial with one conductor being tin coated copper. When I had the cables I took off the ends and scraped a bit of the mangled ends on the grey conductor and under the coating was indeed copper. I assume its tin, anyway. Should also mention that both conductors were twisted together in all 4 ends for center pin soldering. The connectors are another item of interest...branded Discovery and are center pin soldered with nowhere to solder a ground or shield. Obviously not made anymore by Discovery but based on my research and the date of their creation I believe the connectors were sourced from Vampire Wire...Which is now also out of business. This is not the original connector but the exact representation with Vampire branding vs Discovery in the exact same color and exact branding location. The connector is also copper based, with the Vampire part number being CX9/CB and only allows for the braided shield, folded back onto the jacket with sleeve pressed over, to be used for ground. There is no room for the second grey conductor to be folded back to pair with the shield as the opening for the connector only fits up to 9mm and they are VERY tight...and during inspection, none of the 4 ends had that conductor tied to the shield anyway. I'm new, but I haven't found another connector like this;
275533_b8bd2e27bbd64affa73b3011e6995d4a.jpg

Which leads me to my questions; What in the world is going on here? Any thoughts as to what cable this is, and why or what benefits would come of being made with this type of connector? Twin axial cable typically carries a higher impedance over the supposed standard of 75ohms. What am I missing, and why do they supposedly sound so much better than a small box of cables dumped in front of me totaling over $10,000?

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I regret to inform you your 'audiophile mentor' is bad, and that the 'better sound' they think they heard decades ago is with great certainty fictional, as are approximately all the benefits of these spendy interconnects.

Recommend you search around here for, uh, cable reviews and good luck on your journey

OP
B

Briank

I regret to inform you your 'audiophile mentor' is bad, and that the 'better sound' they think they heard decades ago is with great certainty fictional, as are approximately all the benefits of these spendy interconnects.

Recommend you search around here for, uh, cable reviews and good luck on your journey
I'm failing to see how any of that was helpful. Tho id be lying if I said I wasnt expecting a fair bit of short-sightedness given my experiences reading on this forum (albeit not "registered") since about 2008. Ill be sure to let my mentor know he is, in fact, wrong and his ears have been lying to him for decades. Thank you for your contribution.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tho id be lying if I said I wasnt expecting a fair bit of short-sightedness given my experiences reading on this forum (albeit not "registered") since about 2008.
So your just here to troll, then?
I’ll be sure to let my mentor know he is, in fact, wrong and his ears have been lying to him for decades.
Sighted comparisons are notoriously unreliable. This is simply a fact. You can choose to ignore this all you like, but that doesn’t fix the problem.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
So it's basically a chonky shielded twisted pair used as a coax... probably not ideal in the capacitance department but with a leg up over RG-6 in flexibility vs. conductor resistance.

If there is an actual benefit to such a heavy-duty interconnect in the system, I would surmise that the system is likely to have some sort of issues with ground loops... the joys of unbalanced audio connections. A heavy-duty ground bonding wire connecting both components in question (think 2.5-4mm² terminated in spade lugs or similar) plus any run of the mill interconnect should yield the same results then. Long-term I'd rather be fixing the underlying issue if possible.

and his ears have been lying to him for decades
They are, in fact, pretty good at that. Fooling yourself is extremely easy, even more so for those who are unaware of the limits of their own senses and perception.

OP
B

Briank

So your just here to troll, then?

Sighted comparisons are notoriously unreliable. This is simply a fact. You can choose to ignore this all you like, but that doesn’t fix the problem.
Ah yes, the predictable "he's new so he must be a troll" post. Two replies by two different people, two insults. Very welcoming, but going about as I suspected. How can you read my entire post and conclude that im here to troll? I suppose we always find what we're looking for, if we look hard enough. If you must, disregard my faulty mentors unreliable comparisons. Im MORE INTERESTED IN INFORMATION REGARDING THE CABLE, which was the intent of my post. Opinions aside, it was just a mention that this particular individual prefers the way they sound.

Good grief, its a cable. Im interested IN THE CABLE and why they would use it for interconnects.

OP
B

Briank

So it's basically a chonky shielded twisted pair used as a coax... probably not ideal in the capacitance department but with a leg up over RG-6 in flexibility vs. conductor resistance.

If there is an actual benefit to such a heavy-duty interconnect in the system, I would surmise that the system is likely to have some sort of issues with ground loops... the joys of unbalanced audio connections. A heavy-duty ground bonding wire connecting both components in question (think 2.5-4mm² terminated in spade lugs or similar) plus any run of the mill interconnect should yield the same results then. Long-term I'd rather be fixing the underlying issue if possible.

They are, in fact, pretty good at that. Fooling yourself is extremely easy, even more so for those who are unaware of the limits of their own senses and perception.
Thank you, Steph. Do you know if any other interconnects are made with this type of cable? Ive seen some on here list it as a possibility in the DIY area, as with mogami etc.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes, the predictable "he's new so he must be a troll" post.

The claim that you've been lurking here since 2008, 8 years before the forum existed, might lead one to the same conclusion.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the best sounding interconnects
MORE INTERESTED IN INFORMATION REGARDING THE CABLE
Take your pick, just about any audio cable is the best sound :rolleyes:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Are these digital cables ? You mentioned 75 ohm specs which led me to think they were used for spdif interconnects.

A few minutes with a digital volt meter should allow you to test continuity and a few minutes more should allow you test them in an actual circuit (ie repair them)

OP
B

Briank

The claim that you've been lurking here since 2008, 8 years before the forum existed, might lead one to the same conclusion.

My sincerest apologies. “In audio forums.” Tho I seriously doubt Voodooless had that in mind while basing his claim. With that out of the way, any other insights as to why I’d be a troll, you seem very observant.

OP
B

Briank

Take your pick, just about any audio cable is the best sound :rolleyes:
Lol I’m aware this subject is one of high contention. It was not my intention that the opinions of the owner of these cables be the subject matter, but alas. I’ve read that study, which is why I personally use the WBT mogami.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Good grief, its a cable. Im interested IN THE CABLE and why they would use it for interconnects.

Requirements for unbalanced interconnect:

Two Wires ✓
Optional Shield ✓
Insulation suiltable for low voltage ✓

Checks all the boxes so it could be used.

OP
B

Briank

Are these digital cables ? You mentioned 75 ohm specs which led me to think they were used for spdif interconnects.

A few minutes with a digital volt meter should allow you to test continuity and a few minutes more should allow you test them in an actual circuit (ie repair them)
All I know is it was an “off the shelf” rca interconnect that was readily available from Discovery at the time. My reference to 75ohm impedance was for digital, which seems to be what this type of cable is typically used for, and that what I’ve found from the likes of cardas carries an even higher impedance however I’m open to correction on that. Hoping to learn a bit here as well. I have not put a meter to them yet but will take mine home from work today.

OP
B

Briank

Problem:

Solution:
And how do you suppose that cable reviews will tell me what this cable is or why it was used. I am struggling with what everyone if focusing on here. Is it that difficult to review the subject matter?

OP
B

Briank

Requirements for unbalanced interconnect:

Two Wires ✓
Optional Shield ✓
Insulation suiltable for low voltage ✓

Checks all the boxes so it could be used.
Thank you Ray. Any thoughts on the tin coated conductor? Seems tin would be a poor choice for signal path?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
All I know is it was an “off the shelf” rca interconnect that was readily available from Discovery at the time. My reference to 75ohm impedance was for digital, which seems to be what this type of cable is typically used for, and that what I’ve found from the likes of cardas carries an even higher impedance however I’m open to correction on that. Hoping to learn a bit here as well. I have not put a meter to them yet but will take mine home from work today.
I have both audio and digital interconnect cable that has the same configuration and wiring as you have described. It was purchased in bulk reels (whatever was remaining) many years from a local electronics shop that was closing their doors.

Good luck in your search.

OP
B

Briank

Expensive cable, but as described in this review appears to be a different construction than yours:

Indeed. The owner paid just shy of 400 back in the day albeit for the interconnects instead of the loudspeaker cables. Definitely not cheap by even todays standards. I’ve seen a few for sale and some that have sold on sites like audiogon for a “reasonable cost”, comparatively, but those seem to be constructed differently as well. I can’t even find another interconnect that uses this vampire style connector. Although a search for “Tiffany” style connectors brought me to the vampires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom