• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not quite correct. There are also well matched passive subwoofers with an integrated crossover. These can still be used under ART without DLBC. However, they are usually run via external power amplifiers, so you might ask yourself whether you should remove the passive crossover to extend the support area and use it on a sub-out with DLBC.
A Definitive Technology Dymension DM80 would also not require DLBC and has an integrated woofer.

Rather, to be more precise, my understanding is that if your processor utilizes a LFE out, you need DLBC even if your main channels are all full range (two box with passive subwoofer or hybrid active like the Definitive).

Roger Dressler (from Dolby!) has said that 2 channel down mixes of 5.1 content will not include LFE data when using the Dolby Decoder

And a user has reported that Atmos/TrueHD downsmixes also ignore the LFE content.

Which could be an issue as well.

pogo

Major Contributor

I'm not talking about down mixes.

LFE Distribution​

Adjusts the amount of LFE signal sent to the large floor speakers.
Off
(Default):
Floor Speakers do not play LFE signals.
–20 dB – 0 dBAdjusts the amount of LFE signal sent to the large floor speakers.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm not talking about down mixes.

LFE Distribution​

Adjusts the amount of LFE signal sent to the large floor speakers.
Off
(Default):
Floor Speakers do not play LFE signals.
–20 dB – 0 dBAdjusts the amount of LFE signal sent to the large floor speakers.
for those of us with big well amplified front speakers this feature was great! We essentially are giving 2 subs but I was going to be surprised if/how it would work with Room Correction (MQX and Dirac).

tjcinnamon

So it's official? ART Comes on x800???
Likely but not official. Masimo all but confirmed it. They were strongly hinting at it and said, it 'should' get it.

Secondly, there's no guarantee it goes to all x800. They 'could' say it's 4800 and above or something like that.

ok !
if I buy a 6800 chances will be high of being able to put the ART
With the 6800 about to be released and Denon already doing beta testing, I'd raise an eyebrow if 6800 upwards to AVC AH-1 weren't going to get ART.
My gut instinct tells me DLBC capable models will get the DART option (3800 upwards).

OP
PHD

PHD

The ART beta testing phase is completed. ART is fully compatible with AVRs starting from X3800H and up and It's now up to Masimo to decide when to release the FW (It should be sometime this year after April). As for Roon ready certification. I was told that it is expected to be added to all D&M models including older models starting from the X3400H.

Many D&M users have complained that HEOS does not support multichannel music streaming because it is hardware-coded to 2 channels only. To compensate for this limitation. Masimo has started working with HARMAN to certify most of their AVRs as Multichannel capable Roon endpoint. Dolby Atmos music via Amazon HD is also expected to be added along the line.

If you own a Denon X?400H AVR and have the latest FW update, you should notice that Roon is now detecting it as an uncertified device which could only be enabled using a special beta Roon software. Once the certification process is completed, you'll be able to play multichannel FLAC and DSD files using Roon directly (bit-perfect) into the compatible Denon AVRs.

At some point in the future, a new version of HEOS called HEOS+ is expected to be released which will bring significant features upgrades including lossless multichannel streaming support. I'm guessing the X?900H series will come with the HEOS+ included because it requires a hardware upgrade not just FW.

Roger_

The ART beta testing phase is completed. ART is fully compatible with AVRs starting from X3800H and up and It's now up to Masimo to decide when to release the FW (It should be sometime this year after April). As for Roon ready certification. I was told that it is expected to be added to all D&M models including older models starting from the X3400H.

Many D&M users have complained that HEOS does not support multichannel music streaming because it is hardware-coded to 2 channels only. To compensate for this limitation. Masimo has started working with HARMAN to certify most of their AVRs as Multichannel capable Roon endpoint. Dolby Atmos music via Amazon HD is also expected to be added along the line.

If you own a Denon X?400H AVR and have the latest FW update, you should notice that Roon is now detecting it as an uncertified device which could only be enabled using a special beta Roon software. Once the certification process is completed, you'll be able to play multichannel FLAC and DSD files using Roon directly (bit-perfect) into the compatible Denon AVRs.

At some point in the future, a new version of HEOS called HEOS+ is expected to be released which will bring significant features upgrades including lossless multichannel streaming support. I'm guessing the X?900H series will come with the HEOS+ included because it requires a hardware upgrade not just FW.
Thanks a lot for the elaborate update. Well it is a pity that current HEOS devices are hardware limited to two channel only. It is nice that D&M are adding Roon End-point capability but unfortunately for my use Roon is much too expensive. For the last 36 years I'm buying CD's and SACD's and also, the last 10 years, music on download platforms like Bandcamp and sometime Qobuz shop. So I have a huge music collection on my NAS (I ripped all of my CD's and SACD's with correct metadata) and I still don't use any streaming services like Tidal. I would only need to use Roon for playing my multi-channel FLAC files because for two channel, and Internet radio stations, Heos suits our needs. Another advantage of Heos is the better integration with the Logitech Harmony remotes and apps. It would be nice if there is a cheaper Music server solution which can connect to a "Roon Endpoint" to play music. Until then I will use Kodi on my Nvidia Shield to play multi-channel FLAC music.

Ordered this week a Denon AVC-X4800h to replace my Emotiva XMC-1 as multi-channel pre-amp. If all goes well it will arrive at the end of this month.

slaweks

Forum Donor

If ART is working, why do they want to wait till after April?

As an aside, or maybe suggest a more appropriate thread. Would it be feasible to buy/employ speakers specifically for use as support speakers for ART? Would there be any advantage I this approach?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s a race between Monoprice and Masimo now!

tjcinnamon

As an aside, or maybe suggest a more appropriate thread. Would it be feasible to buy/employ speakers specifically for use as support speakers for ART? Would there be any advantage I this approach?
I'm curious as well because I have some old SVS Micro3000 subs laying around. I could put them solely on ART duty.

tjcinnamon

I'm surprised it goes down to the 3800 (but happy of course). Now the question is do I go over to the AV10 or the 4800... I'd end up with an extra 4000 in my pocket and if I can figure out how to get rid of my 83" OLED C2, I could upgrade to an 83" newer OLED or one of those fancy MiniLED's coming from Sony or TCL.

Last edited:

tjcinnamon

Maybe due to their upgrade policy to add new features twice a year?
"patience is a virtue"
It could be that they are still trying to figure out the rampant issues with Dirac Live Bass Control. Could be on their side, could be on Dirac's, could be on both.

Given Dirac's track record, I would assume it will take 3 to 6 months to get stable, once released. Then DO NOT UPGRADE unless you absolutely have to. Dirac's quality control is abysmal (speaking from years of experience). DM quality control is quite good.

mikematrix

This is a little off topic but updating a C2 apart from going to Sony or Samsung with their OLED I don't really see the gain you could have or a G3?
But some people reduce the intensity because it's too strong so what's the point...
Des mini LED ? De combien de zones d’éclairage disposent-ils actuellement ? N'oubliez pas que l'OLED compte 8 294 400 zones. Je doute qu’ils puissent y parvenir pour le moment.

Glad that ART will be available for the 3800, it will make an excellent preamp with this function even if you will have to pay more for all the licenses than for the device itself.

tjcinnamon

This is a little off topic but updating a C2 apart from going to Sony or Samsung with their OLED I don't really see the gain you could have or a G3?
But some people reduce the intensity because it's too strong so what's the point...
Des mini LED ? De combien de zones d’éclairage disposent-ils actuellement ? N'oubliez pas que l'OLED compte 8 294 400 zones. Je doute qu’ils puissent y parvenir pour le moment.

Glad that ART will be available for the 3800, it will make an excellent preamp with this function even if you will have to pay more for all the licenses than for the device itself.
Should be news out of/after CES about the new Sony tech/sets that will be coming out in May of this year. The depth of color matters to me which requires greater luminance. I can't go QD-OLED due to I'll never be able to reduce size. So this new Sony could be a big deal OR once I actually can set up a dedicated room there's a 5000 nit TCL 115" for $11000 only in China right now. Assuming their processing and firmware improves...

Back to the topic, I was thinking that it's very likely that D&M get a cut of the licensing sales from Dirac. So it makes sense for D&M to get it on as many unit's as possible.

I had a marantz in the past and didn't like the sound but I was only using Audyssey XT32 which was limited. I went to NAD and Dirac and it was like a veil was removed from the sound. I then went to Denon and Audyssey MultiQ-X which gave me a lot of control and the sound which has yielded a better result. Also, Dirac was so buggy, it was nice to move to something that "just worked"

I'm definitely going D&M because I'll have my fall back to MQX using my same REW EQ imports but I will have the opportunity to try out Dirac ART... plus even better HDMI 2.1 reliability.

ban25

If D+M lands multichannel Roon support, particularly with Dolby Atmos (though I also have some AURO3D FLACs), then I see an AV10 in my not-to-distant future!

I'm surprised it goes down to the 3800 (but happy of course). Now the question is do I go over to the AV10 or the 4800... I'd end up with an extra 4000 in my pocket and if I can figure out how to get rid of my 83" OLED C2, I could upgrade to an 83" newer OLED or one of those fancy MiniLED's coming from Sony or TCL.
It's processing power. You can run DLBC, you can run DART. All else is Massimo's effort to integrate/ update firmware and marketing. If there are no major differences in the architecture of the processors from 3800 upwards, then it's a Massimo choice as to where DART lands in the model 'spectrum'.

Top Bottom