• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yuja Wang's Flying Fingers

Robin L

Master Contributor
In which one of today's finest pianists goes over the top with Mozart and Bizet:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
She's definitely good at virtuosity but I saw her playing Beethoven and it was not convincing.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
She's definitely good at virtuosity but I saw her playing Beethoven and it was not convincing.
Haven't heard her Beethoven. Sounds like she is fully attuned to Lizst/Rachmaninov. In any case, one shouldn't dismiss a water lily simply because it is not a rose.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yuja Wang, Beethoven's "Hammerklavier", live without a net:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't heard her Beethoven. Sounds like she is fully attuned to Lizst/Rachmaninov. In any case, one shouldn't dismiss a water lily simply because it is not a rose.
Sure, but I saw her live twice and won't go anymore (especially for the prices asked), while I'd go see Martha Argerich any time.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sure, but I saw her live twice and won't go anymore (especially for the prices asked), while I'd go see Martha Argerich any time.
I can imagine that prices for her concerts are crazy. I'm sure I've recorded more pianists than paid tickets to concerts of pianists. I suspect that Ms. Argerich would be harder to catch in concerts these days, now that she's an octogenarian. It's much easier for me to listen to recordings than to go through all the rituals of going to a concert. That sort of thing was much more fun when I was a recording engineer, being on the inside, feeling like I was contributing something.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
In which one of today's finest pianists goes over the top with Mozart and Bizet:

I will listen to her live in 5 minutes. Open Air with the munich philharmonic orchestra.

Attachments

• 16258444040273859271368382433535.jpg
    16258444040273859271368382433535.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom