• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube audio quality and your upload settings

winflex

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. Why do you say he is misinformed?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do people even care about audio quality in YT videos?

winflex

Do people even care about audio quality in YT videos?
I do, my TV audio out is connected via optical TosLink to my TEAC DAC. There are some pretty nice sounding classical & other music performances on YouTube, and I got curious why it sounds as good as it does.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only time I tried uploading anything to youtube (video) they throttled the video part so much I deleted it....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
His methodology is correct with respect to finding resampling errors. It is not useful for detecting recompression artifacts. Then again, anytime there is resampling, there will also be recompression.

When starting my video channel, I spent good number of hours playing with sample rates, and number of channels to get optimal sound quality. It is definitely non-trivial and not documented properly by Google.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Youtube best audio file you can is 128K bitstream judging from the ripping software.

Top Bottom