• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your vintage audio bargains. Show us pics.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The loading gears (they all fail) for those players have been reproduced and are freely available at a reasonable price if you ever need one.

Thanks for that tip.

I was going to ask you about the gears. Will that be due to wear only - or will age related embrittlement of the plastic do it also.

This unit feels like it's never been used, so if its just wear, then I'm probably good for a bit. If the plastic ages, I may just pre-emptively buy a set in.

EDIT - just seen your second post - will buy some in. :D

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This rascal was $5 at a garage sale in our neighborhood in our erstwhile home town (Harvard MA). I expressed surprise at the price when I asked the lady who was selling it how much she wanted for it, and she said, straight-faced, "Would you like to pay more?" :cool:

Naah, I was OK with $5 -- and it was (and still is) in good working order.
5$ - amazing. And what a stunning looking receiver.

eriksson

Forum Donor
This rascal was $5 at a garage sale in our neighborhood in our erstwhile home town (Harvard MA).
I guess I should be grateful most the stuff I pick up and play with isn't so pretty or remarkable in any way, so I can just toss it back into the recycling dumpster when I am done playing with it. This Yamaha amp is so handsome it would be difficult to part with it. Great find!

Godataloss

It wasn't $5, but for $300 with a pair of Bozak 340a Urbans, and several crates of records, and hundreds of tubes, I was quite happy. I was told it belonged to a Naval Engineer who helped develop the radar guided torpedo in WW2. I only saw the remains of his collection. Oh to be the first through that door.

Attachments

• scott 340a.jpg
    scott 340a.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 124

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It would be very cool to have a Scott receiver of that era. I have several HH Scott amps and tunas from their Maynard, MA days...but no receiver.

Godataloss

It would be very cool to have a Scott receiver of that era. I have several HH Scott amps and tunas from their Maynard, MA days...but no receiver.
This is the last tube integrated I've kept. I think it's one of the most beautiful receivers ever made and somewhat rare because they only made it 2 years. It's a 340a.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is the last tube integrated I've kept. I think it's one of the most beautiful receivers ever made and somewhat rare because they only made it 2 years. It's a 340a.
I agree in terms of the aesthetics. Love the Scotts with vernier dials, and their receivers in particular were beautifully laid out and executed.
The Scott AM-FM (simulcast) stereo tuners of the era were also very attractive. I have one, which I did purchase cheap(ly) some years back*, but it's basically a shelf queen. I've never 'fired it up' (figuratively or - thankfully - literally). ;)

EDIT: The two FM only tuners below it do both work fine, I am pleased to report. The LT-10 was an inexpensive acquisition at one of our regional "NEVEC" swapmeets, and the 350B below it was passed along to me by one of the northern New England gurus. :)

norman bates

Forum Donor
Certainly not $5, but found this locally.
Not quite what I wanted, but sounds good to me....
Now I need a tuner.

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_210534.jpg
    IMG_20230812_210534.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 81

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks for that tip.

I was going to ask you about the gears. Will that be due to wear only - or will age related embrittlement of the plastic do it also.

This unit feels like it's never been used, so if its just wear, then I'm probably good for a bit. If the plastic ages, I may just pre-emptively buy a set in.

EDIT - just seen your second post - will buy some in. :D

You never know, your could have already been replaced. Take the lid off and have a look at the loading gear. If it's pink looking or yellowed/white it's probably an original. See how flexible it is. They get really wiggly and bendy and basically just fall apart.

If it's firm, not bendable and looks nice, it's probably a new replacement.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have great memories of my Sony Walkman of course today my iPhone with Apple Music and AirPod Pro 2 are light years better but still it’s fun to reminisce!

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 22

Waxx

Major Contributor
I got a mint 1976's Technics SL1500 MKI for 200€ years ago, that became my main turntable. I sold most of the others i got, often for way more money... I just had to add a better cel to it (it had a very worn technics cell on it when i bought it).

20200319-DSC_0138e.jpg

I also bought a pair of almost mint Goodman Mezzo Sl's years ago for 75€, that still serve me and are still great. It's one of my favorite vintage speakers i've ever encountered, and won't be sold anytime soon.

Goodman Mezzo SL.png

And over the years, I traded a lot of second hand stuff. I got it for free or bought for little because it was broken. I repaired it (or let it be repaired) and sold it for profit. I don't have pictures left of those. But if you know your way arround in that market, there is a lot you can earn on. I quit that when Covid began (and moved so far out people won't come to my house anymore). Those Goodmans were also a part of that trade, but i decided to keep them.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I been enhancing my complete Nakamichi System One since 1979 (not shown 2 more 620 amps, another 630 tuner/preamp, bridging adapter, wired remotes, rack parts, spare knobs and such) All in <$1100
1702423344087.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I been enhancing my complete Nakamichi System One since 1979 (not shown 2 more 620 amps, another 630 tuner/preamp, bridging adapter, wired remotes, rack parts, spare knobs and such) All in <$1100

Fantastic system you've been assembling there.

The 620 is classic for sure. Not for modern low impedance, inefficient speakers but overall such an iconic late 70s design.

Top Bottom