• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your thoughts on KEF Q 150

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I'd like to treat myself to a new pr. of speakers for my desktop in the $300 range or less. I've been considering Q 150s... would this be a reasonable speaker for desktop use? Or anything in this range that you might suggest.

Approx. 12' x 15' room. Source is FLACs from comp. and AmazonHD. Speakers will be about 8" apart. PC to Atom DAC to Atom HP amp (as HP amp & pre) to SMSL a300 amp to SCSS5 speakers, also 8" Jamo sub - not great but it helps.

Thanks in advance
mike

DJNX

The concentric driver is basically the same that you get in the LS50 and the R3, so that part should be great. It is mostly the enclosure and other bits that result in a somewhat bumpy frequency response and some resonances.
Really, the biggest disadvantage is that KEF is (was?) not competitive at those price ranges, but it seems by now the Q150 real price is $300 (with that apparent permanent discount), so at that price they are great, specially at the very nearfield desktop use.

Haint

They're a solid speaker at $300, though I'd suggest buying from somewhere with a return policy and A/B'ing them with your Sonys. If you have a Best Buy nearby you could avoid any potential return shipping fees. You may or may not find them $300 better than the CS5's.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly at the 300$ to 400$ range I would either get the JBL 306mp II, the Adam T5V, or the Kali LP- 6 Second Wave.

I wouldn't bother with boutique speakers.

OP
Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
They're a solid speaker at $300, though I'd suggest buying from somewhere with a return policy and A/B'ing them with your Sonys. If you have a Best Buy nearby you could avoid any potential return shipping fees. You may or may not find them $300 better than the CS5's.
Thanks, I've got Amazon Prime so they'd be returnable til Jan. 31

OP
Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
OP
Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Honestly at the 300$ to 400$ range I would either get the JBL 306mp II, the Adam T5V, or the Kali LP- 6 Second Wave.

I wouldn't bother with boutique speakers.
With Christmas coming I have to watch my money so I'm hoping to keep the cost at $300 or less and this is all I'll get for Christmas

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At $300 there aren't too many good options , the q150s and emotiva b1+s are about the best options...

Tangband

Major Contributor
I'd like to treat myself to a new pr. of speakers for my desktop in the $300 range or less. I've been considering Q 150s... would this be a reasonable speaker for desktop use? Or anything in this range that you might suggest.

Approx. 12' x 15' room. Source is FLACs from comp. and AmazonHD. Speakers will be about 8" apart. PC to Atom DAC to Atom HP amp (as HP amp & pre) to SMSL a300 amp to SCSS5 speakers, also 8" Jamo sub - not great but it helps.

Thanks in advance
mike
The biggest fault in those speakers seems to be that they are almost empty, which make them very easy to modify with more damping material inside ( rockwool or sheep wool ) . Internet is full of happy enthusiasts who has done this simple modification. The guaranty dont apply though, If you open up the speakers.

Alexium

They are ported, right? In that case stuffing them will turn them into almost sealed, or at the very least it will affect the tuning frequency and port output level. It could be an improvement above the bass region, though, and they're not going to play bass well no matter what.

OP
Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
The biggest fault in those speakers seems to be that they are almost empty, which make them very easy to modify with more damping material inside ( rockwool or sheep wool ) . Internet is full of happy enthusiasts who has done this simple modification. The guaranty dont apply though, If you open up the speakers.
Thanks. I don't think I'd mess with them till the warranty is up, but can you direct me to some reading on this?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can put stuffing in a ported box. But some experimentation is required, and YMMV:

Tangband

Major Contributor
They are ported, right? In that case stuffing them will turn them into almost sealed, or at the very least it will affect the tuning frequency and port output level. It could be an improvement above the bass region, though, and they're not going to play bass well no matter what.
Those speakers should be crossed at 80 Hz anyway .

OP
Boris Badinov

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Received the Q150s this evening and listening to them now and trying to find the best sub and amp settings to blend in with the speakers. They sound good even without the sub and not as bright-sounding as the SSCS-5s. All in all, I think I'll be very happy with these, appreciate the advice and recommendations. :D

BTW - Does anyone use the little rubber stick-on feet included with the speakers? Can they be removed without damaging the finish? I don't need to raise the speakers because I have a 2-level desk and the speakers are at ear height now. Pic of the desk (with the Sony speakers)

New Desktop.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom