• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You have $1,500 or less to spend on cans to use all day, and a balanced Schiit stack, what the heck do you buy?

OP
Rollingsound514

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
I just wanted to hop in and say that my TruthearxCrinacle: Zero Reds absolutely blow my FH5 IEMs out of the water in terms of sound quality. Regardless of whatever else you get, you should grab a pair of those IEMs for 50$
You son of a bitch, you were right.
I'm driving them at -30dB in comparison to the FH5s at like -45dB.
They're amazing. I'm smiling. Thank you.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've done my research and pretty much every set of cans at the $1,000 to $2,000 range has some kind of terrible drawback and need EQ or suck in some way.
I have some Grado 80 something or another model I bought for less than $100. I use them twice a year and barely ever listen to headphones. Truth is I kind of hate any of them, but they are fine if my girlfriend is busting my ass for playing the music too loud. If you can’t buy a decent pair of cans for $2000 I’m so glad that I truly despise them.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Now, to be fair, Grado SR-80s aren't exactly a reference, neither in sound (colored and overly bright with limited bass) nor wearing comfort. Grados have always been considered an acquired taste, they just were ubiquitous and cheap in the US (and SR-60s were actually half-decent for the price). Maybe snag a pair of Sennheiser HD58X or HD560S one of these days, those are some decent cans.

I'm quite happy with my HD600 (2019)s these days. They basically sound like a pair of decent speakers with a bit more up top. I give 'em a bit of Meier crossfeed courtesy of the Foobar2000 plugin. No, I would no longer go for headphones as my primary means of listening these days (not since I upgraded my PC speakers to K+H O110s, got a measurement mic and REW and EQ'd the whole shebang), but for in-bed listening these cans are mighty fine.

Merkurio

After hearing what the Hifiman HE400se ($89 on AliExpress) with fine EQ are capable of, I don't see myself ever spending a fortune on headphones again, and boy have I owned and tried a myriad of things from all price ranges.

Also, the Magnius/Modius stack should move them perfectly (my DX7 Pro+ already does, being much less powerful).

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Personally I would gravitate towards Hifiman Arya Organic. My main pairs are Audeze LCD-X but the weight can be an major issue, I often will just grab Focal Clear despite preferring the Audeze just do to weight.

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You son of a bitch, you were right.
I'm driving them at -30dB in comparison to the FH5s at like -45dB.
They're amazing. I'm smiling. Thank you.

Now you just need to buy yourself a Qudelix 5K, a nice balanced 2.5mm TRRS cable, make a paracord lanyard and you can go fully mobile :)

IMG_20230827_113546 (Phone).jpg

The Q5K + Lanyard works with my HD660S as well (using this cable).

The only downside to using the TxC Reds setup is that I look like a member of Goldie Lookin Chain

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often will just grab Focal Clear despite preferring the Audeze just do to weight.
I thought the weight of the LCD-X doesn't bother me but for one reason or another I just didn't listen to it that often. Got the Clear and problem solved, also I don't need EQ for it.

OP
Rollingsound514

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor

paudio

There sure are a lot of products out there. Equalizer APO + USB-C Apple Dongle is my go to. If I need isolation I grab my CIEMs, DCA Aeon 2 Noire or Austrian Audio Hi-X60. If it's quiet enough or my ears are tired I grab the Koss KPH40X! It's hella cheap but I really dig it. With 0 clamp, soft foam Yaxi pads and it's sub 50g weight I think it's the most comfortable set of headphones I own. I crank up the subbass a bit on the computer for electronic like LORN.

Having a few different types of headphones allows me to rotate and keep listening without discomfort. It's been interesting trying out a bunch of different styles, types and products.

If I had a couple thousand budget I'd use it over time to try out varying headphone types and styles to see what I like the most. I like to purchase stuff that is well made and well supported too so if I can find something I like the sound of and believe in the company I feel justified with spending more.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've got the Magnius and Modius stack fully balanced.
I'm looking for cans either open or closed back that I can wear for hours on end.

You have $1,500 or less to spend on cans to use all day​

HD800S + some EQ which should not be an issue.

Comfort and excellent sound. Long service life as well. Parts will likely be available for decades.

I've done my research and pretty much every set of cans at the $1,000 to $2,000 range has some kind of terrible drawback and need EQ or suck in some way.
Yes, but so do cheaper headphones.

Should I just go back to the old 650/6XX with a balanced cable? With lots of power maybe they'll sound 95% as good as something $1,000 more?
It can just play 6 dB louder. It won't sound 'better'. For most people the HD650 is 'enough' though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom