• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

nn_in

1626453179590.png

What is the difference between YPAO On/Off and VOL (YPAO Volume) . I could not understand .

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 141627
What is the difference between YPAO On/Off and VOL (YPAO Volume) . I could not understand .
YPAO is room correction - applies custom EQ curve regardless of volume.

Regarding YPAO Volume, as explained on page 50 of the owner's manual, "when the YPAO Volume function is enabled, the high- and low- frequency levels are automatically adjusted according to the volume so that you can enjoy natural sounds even at low volume." So it's a dynamic EQ based on volume level. It provides the most boost in low and high frequency range at very low volumes and then gradually reduces that boost as you crank the volume up.

nn_in

When you are in Rooms section on the top right you have wheel sign->then room Settings->then you have YPAO (speaker Setup)
Is there a musiccast app for win laptop that folks can point me to for RN803?

nn_in

I’m wondering if the measurements taken for this review were done with YPAO enabled or disabled (non pure direct results) considering this reply from Yamaha, or if the replay is just incorrect.
reply pasted below.

edit:
I could be wrong and often I’m clearly wrong, but the drop in the frequency response of this amp when not in “pure direct” mode may be a limitation of the tone control circuit and not an indication of an ADC conversion?
It seems that all of the Yamaha amps with a loudness dial have a published FR of 10 Hz to 100 kHz in pure direct, or CD direct, and a published FR of 20hz to 20khz in non-pure direct mode. This includes analog only amps like the A-S700.

end edit

—-

“Hello Jay,

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Customer Support, we have been impacted due to Covid stay at home orders, we apologize for the delay in response.

If the audio signal is analog going in then it remains analog until output from speakers, none of our units convert a analog signal to digital. There is only conversion from digital to analog.

Best Regards,
The Yamaha Customer Support Team
P.S. Please do not remove the " [ref: " in the Email Subject when replying to this email.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Application/Technical Support
Model: R-N803
Hello Yamaha support.
I have a question about the R-N803 receiver.

When feeding the amp an analog source, and with pure direct NOT engaged (so as to access tone controls and old style loudness), and with YPAO disabled, does this receiver do an analog to digital conversion, and then a digital to analog conversion, or does the signal remain in the analog domain the entire time ?

Thank you,”
—-
Thank you for seeking the clarification from Yamaha
So this reply from Yamaha concludes that with the following conditions
a) Pure Direct "not" engaged
b)YPOA "disabled"
sources connected to analog inputs do not go through analog to digital conversion.

a)Is there a way to disable/enable YPAO from the R-N803 front panel ?
b)Is my understanding correct .There are only two modes of operation for YPAO
i) YPAO enabled ie YPAO Volume shows up in display
ii)YPAO disabled
Thank You.

djigibao

UniPolar

The current version of the MusicCast controller app for IOS , as of this date, is 4.4.2 . No idea what version prior posts here were using...

Based on the prior negative responses here, I was pleasantly surprised to find it functions nearly flawlessly
with all my streaming services and connects with my DLNA music server and WXC-50 ( firmware 2.70 ) without any issues that I can find.
Whats more, the controller app looks fine IMO.. And the album art looks great..

Someone mentioned that Deezer HiFi was a no go, and that looks to still be true.
Update: the MusicCast app shows a stream of 44.1 FLAC from Deezer. Not sure if that's the lossless stream, which I have subscribed to.

The current web interface to the WXC-50 is old looking but how many folks would use a browser to access it? Probably not many, since those functions are also replicated in the controller app, so I'll give them a pass on this.
So while the web ux is not a pretty face, it also functions fine.

Current versions of MusicCast and the MusicCast app are much better than expected and should be considered for use with the R-N803.

Last edited:

jjk1

Thank you for seeking the clarification from Yamaha
So this reply from Yamaha concludes that with the following conditions
a) Pure Direct "not" engaged
b)YPOA "disabled"
sources connected to analog inputs do not go through analog to digital conversion.

a)Is there a way to disable/enable YPAO from the R-N803 front panel ?
b)Is my understanding correct .There are only two modes of operation for YPAO
i) YPAO enabled ie YPAO Volume shows up in display
ii)YPAO disabled
Thank You.

A) - yes YPAO can be enabled and disabled via the front panel, via remote, or with the app.
B) - YPAO in this amp can be enable with or without applying EQ, or loudness compensation in DSP. I’m assuming that YPAO enabled without also selecting EQ, and/or loudness, is only correcting reflections. (Again this is an assumption on my part)
C) the status (on or not) for YPAO is displayed on the fron panel.
So the options are:
1. no YPAO
2. YPAO with EQ
3. YPAO with EQ and loudness compensation
4. YPAO without EQ, or loudness (reflection, phase, distance, balance correction only??)
5. YPAO without EQ, but with loudness compensation in DSP.

JJK

Hans Kloss

“Hello Jay,

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Customer Support, we have been impacted due to Covid stay at home orders, we apologize for the delay in response.

If the audio signal is analog going in then it remains analog until output from speakers, none of our units convert a analog signal to digital. There is only conversion from digital to analog.

Best Regards,
The Yamaha Customer Support Team
—-

Outside of the pure direct mode the analog inputs is evidently digitized, because all YPAO functions (included parametric equalizer) processing digital signal in DSP. This is also indicated by the frequency response, which is cut near 50 kHz.

gendish

Looks like they updated the firmware today. See attached screenshot. Can’t find any updates on yamaha.com nor any release notes. Seemed like quite a large update. Version 3.0.

5547E6D4-8483-48B9-916D-D246473C1F27.jpeg

Last edited:

Paspolc

what is the content of the update?

diablo

Forum Donor
My 803 and also an old AVR - AS710D - got updated firmware today. Can't find anything and not noticed any differences as yet. Probably something obscure.

Yawnny

Another AVR with no pre out (other than for sub). I love the giant volume knobs on tons of these receivers and I just want to use them as an input selector + pre amp.. but “pre out” for a power amp seems to be delegated to “premier” feature territory :(

YogiN

Forum Donor
R-N803/RN-803D Firmware Update Ver.1.17
Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features.
This firmware includes the following updates:

A) Performance improvements to music streaming services and internet radio

Support of Spotify Free account, along with playback stability improvements *1
Qobuz list browsing improvement
B) Other stability improvements

*1 With this new firmware, any Preset(s) that you’ve already registered will be deleted, therefore you will need to re-register any existing Preset(s). Some models with an integrated OSD (On-Screen Display) will no longer display “Now Playing” content on the OSD.

gendish

R-N803/RN-803D Firmware Update Ver.1.17
Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features.
This firmware includes the following updates:

A) Performance improvements to music streaming services and internet radio

Support of Spotify Free account, along with playback stability improvements *1
Qobuz list browsing improvement
B) Other stability improvements

*1 With this new firmware, any Preset(s) that you’ve already registered will be deleted, therefore you will need to re-register any existing Preset(s). Some models with an integrated OSD (On-Screen Display) will no longer display “Now Playing” content on the OSD.

That’s the former firmware update 1.17 and not 3.00.

gendish

I couldn't find mention of the 3.00 update. Where did you see that?

Like I stated in my first post with the attached screenshot can you see that they updated the firmware to 3.00 (1923). No mention on their homepage as of yet.

diablo

Forum Donor
I thought it odd that the version went to 3.00. I checked my other updated Yamaha and that only went from 2.85 to 2.86. I'd have thought a new range would be something significant???

Screenshot_20210915-133155_Photos~2.jpg

gendish

I thought it odd that the version went to 3.00. I checked my other updated Yamaha and that only went from 2.85 to 2.86. I'd have thought a new range would be something significant???

View attachment 153506

Yes, probably some major changes! At least under the hood. Hopefully support for Spotify Hifi. The nerd in me wants to read the release notes. :)

Top Bottom