• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

Modellbobby

I don't get it, do you mean, the amp showing -24dB on its screen ? If so, this is not "loud" at all, this amp still has much more to give
Yes exactly. Was wondering as it is the upper end of volume. But maybe just wrong interpretation from my side

Jake Cushing

One thing that's a bit exasperating is there doesn't seem to be any basic manual equalisation on offer. Why build in a DSP with automatic room EQ, and not allow the user to perform a simple parametric EQ as a separate function?

I know it's a unit best in pure-direct, but sometimes you want to have your own EQ settings for softer play or for just seeing what your speakers are capable of with some EQ applied.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes exactly. Was wondering as it is the upper end of volume.
It is absolutely not.;)

This is digital volume control with dB scale. The perceived gap between the last decibels will be more and more significant as long as you get closer to 0dB.

Try to crank it to -15, then -10, you will still be under clipping conditions.

AudioArchitech

Do you think the Yamaha R-N602 measures as good (or better) as the R-N803? Any other Yamaha bargains like the 803?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the Yamaha R-N602 measures as good (or better) as the R-N803?
It does not (no reason it would, BTW).

Audio Poland measured both with the same bench. 803 shows either more power and less distortion.

803, then 602:
52142-laboratorium-yamaha-r-n803d-audiocompl-fot3.jpg

40094-yamaha_rn601_fot3.jpg

803, then 602:
52141-laboratorium-yamaha-r-n803d-audiocompl-fot2.jpg
40093-yamaha_rn601_fot2.jpg

Robert C

N803 looks to be discontinued, any replacement that performs as good or better?
I just checked back on the Yamaha site that I purchased mine from and, you're right, it looks like it has been discontinued.

So Yamaha's amp line now goes:
  • A-S301 £237.00
  • R-N303D £314.00
  • A-S501 £356.00
  • A-S701 £439.00
  • A-S1200 £1,999.00
Doesn't seem to make any sense. Why have so many similarly performing <£500 products bunched up together, then nothing in the £500-£2,000(!) bracket?

Jake Cushing

New model incoming?

Hopefully it improves DSP performance and adds some basic manual EQ

cosmokramer

N803 looks to be discontinued, any replacement that performs as good or better?
Definitely not discontinued. I live in Malaysia at the moment, where they are made.
I was looking for it months ago, and since I can't find it, I called Yamaha Malaysia. I was told they were coming.
Last month came out a new batch.
The reason why they are hard to get, is the same reason why almost all electric components are being hard to get nowadays, the Covid situation really messed up the shipping of components around the world.

I got mine in October (was hard to get as well) and as soon as they came out (at least here in Kuala Lumpur) they sold out quite fast.
I must say, for the price you can't beat it. Is a truly magnificent piece of equipment.

Jake Cushing

It is. It seems Yamaha have us covered. I'm looking at getting the new-ish CD player, which is on back-order. It has the same features as the Denon DCD 800ne, but a good couple of hundred dollars cheaper. And its slim looks complement the receivers and amps nicely:

I just wish the higher end model (s-1200, with the piano-black sides) had a usb-memory stick reader like the lower model. Interesting that both the Denon high-end CD player (1600) and the Yamaha equivalent (s-2100) have that feature removed. Like the purity of that would somehow make a difference to audible sounds, haha! :) Hi-fi demographics are a bit... religious, in the worse sense of that word.

JTW

One thing that's a bit exasperating is there doesn't seem to be any basic manual equalisation on offer. Why build in a DSP with automatic room EQ, and not allow the user to perform a simple parametric EQ as a separate function?

I know it's a unit best in pure-direct, but sometimes you want to have your own EQ settings for softer play or for just seeing what your speakers are capable of with some EQ applied.
I use pure direct normally but can also have the EQ setting set for when I sit off centre in a different chair, very useful to be able to switch between the two

cosmokramer

Question to the users.
I mostly use this receiver to play FLAC's over USB, records and CDs.
Sometimes i stream Tidal/Deezer over Musiccast.

Lately, i been using Apple Music.
I only use iPad and Macbook (no iphone).
I can stream over Airplay, but limited to 16/44.
What is the best way to stream Apple HiFi Lossless (up to 24/192) quality from an iPad/Mac to the receiver?
Is any direct way instead of connecting an Apple TV via optical? I want to avoid using a TV.

Looking forward to stream straight from device to device.
Any idea?

diablo

Forum Donor
If using one of these effectively as a power amp, what volume setting is best .. 0db? Noticed that Amir used +3db for his measurements...?
I was thinking of posting a similar question, though read through to see if anyone else had already asked it. Though re-reading Amir's comments I reckon I should change mine from 0dB to +3dB perhaps?

A couple of days ago I set up a DDRC-24 Dirac unit in my lounge for the towers each side of my TV (phantom centre). I was using an old 402D as the amp but had an 803 delivered today. The 402 has no pure direct mode so it should be better. Indeed the system sounds much better now - though probably 90% due to Dirac. :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@diablo R-N402D don't have any digital DSP stage, it goes direct to analog stage.
You have analog input preamp stage (1.5 $ part John mentioned) on both (volume trim) play with it (for me usable range is ±2) and it's per each input source (set individually).

Top Bottom