• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would replacing circuit components on a passive crossover board reduce distortion?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been 'renovating' a pair of Sansui SP 1700 that my grandparent gave me to me few years ago, they were made in 1973 so pretty 'antique' even in the vintage audio niche.

Everything I replaced, I did it per speaker so i can hear the difference as i progress. I always exchanged components for components of equal values (Basically the most expensive option from Dayton Audio, which is borderline snake oil, but not there yet)

Replacing the ~50 year old electrolyte capacitors was a very interesting experience, the old ones were Rubycon so no explosion or swelling, but it doesn't take an expert to know that they're way off their advertisied values after such a long time.

After placing the new capacitors, the first 2 hours the speaker sounded just way off, way deeper than usual and as if the enclosure was left open or something. 12 hours later they sounded okay, 24 hours later they sounded better than the speaker I didn't touch.

Now this could just be my brain canceling the difference between the two. As Audio that we perceive is just vibrations that the brain thinks are different from the rest of the vibrations out there. My brain could have just equalized these two inputs from the two speakers as time progressed.

Now I was interested in replacing the resistors on the board, now resistors typically don't go bad and they were ceramic resistors made by Micron. But it's been almost 50 years, So I couldn't help myself since the whole thing is so old. The old resistors were 16 ΩK (so 10% tolerance value) while the Dayton audio replacement were 16 Ω with 1% tolerance value.

I expected nothing, as the old resistors were properly okay. But i can swear the Speaker with the replaced resistors has lower distortion. Sansui advertised THD value is between 0.1% and 1% (which is okay for the 70s), is it possible that the resistor change lowered Distortion? Or is it just my brain and it's further 'justified' because i actually did something that i think is meaningful?

What are your experiences in these sort of things? What is the scientific consensus about this as well?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As long as the resistor has about the same power rating and that power rating isn't reached, distortion of both resistors will be far below measurable thresholds.
They distortion numbers are for the drivers and resistor 'distortion' would be magnitudes lower than any speaker.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How hot it gets with the same amount of power supplied. Also depends on where in the XO the resistor is and what the music content is.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
The cooler the resistors run the less thier value drifts and the more stable the filter network is. Tighter tolerances only improve matching between the filters. No harm in upgrading crossovers in old speakers imo

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tighter tolerances only improve matching between the filters.

Now the question is whether companies develop filters theoretically or in a way that compensates for the actual components they will use.

Could my tighter tolerance actually drive the sound further than what the company intended?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Now the question is whether companies develop filters theoretically or in a way that compensates for the actual components they will use.

Could my tighter tolerance actually drive the sound further than what the company intended?
I'd say no. Tighter tolerance and thermal stability are only going to improve accuracy of a filter. Chances are a speaker of that age won't have been measured with any high accuracy in the first place.

Arno Fennix

Responding to the topic title for cross-over components in general (besides resistors). For every component selection I used A-B switching while listening to known recordings (2 relays switched from the listening place. I know this is less ideal having the relay contacts in between, but it did give me the chance to compare on the spot. Did it for capacitors, inductors and resistors and always selected what sounded best and after that I tried to figure out what the technical reasoning would be. Avoiding to follow hypes as much as possible. A remarkable difference I found was in the inductor type in my mid-horn X-over section. The comparison was done between a regular air-round-coppoer-wound inductor and an air-flat-foil-waxed inductor. Same gauge of wire, comparable inductor parameters measured. Since then, all inductors are the waxed type and for the reasoning, it must be any (micro) vibration of the windings when signal goes through (pushing/pulling between conductors in the coil)...in the wax version their held on their spot. Hard to imagine the coils would still move in a tightly wound regular air-coil. So, for me, switching between conponents when listening (mind you, keep it safe and don't start to switch any high voltage/current stuff)

Top Bottom