• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my go to for Barbaresco - I bought a case of '14 to sit (blocking some other cases...) while I work on older stuff

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
no posts on wine glasses yet

Back onto rice wine, I went back to Mashiko about a month ago and picked these up. The coffee cups are gifts for my parents. These are made with a layering/marbleizing technique; those patterns are made by different types/colors of clay.

1592961949768.png

And then we were at a sake brewery in an area known for their cast iron and they had cast iron sake cups, so I got one of those.

1592962058073.png

I had been to a restaurant last year that had a metal sake server that was in the shape of bamboo and also feel in love with that idea. Last weekend came across another shop that does metal work by hammering out the shapes, often from 1 piece of metal; art, cups, bolws, plates, etc.
I got this sake cup, died with indigo on the outside.

1592962572234.png

And ordered this sake server

1592962661039.png

So, I think me.. my budget, is all full for fancy sake servers and cups!

lennard

I do not drink much, but there are some obligatory choices that always keep in the pantry:

for roasts and cheeses, usually buy Chianti Classico, Monte Maione from Watrose is one I like
for aperitifs and cocktails prosecco Gera Valdo, from Waitrose
for cooking and cool with fish, Solini IGP Pinot Grigio found a bit everywhere

Old Listener

Recently, we drank a bottle of Heitz Cellars 2004 Martha's Vineyard cabernet. As always with vintages of this wine, it was very, very good.

For many years, we'd buy a bottle or two each year and store it. We'd drink it for special occasions. It has been too pricey for us in the last few years.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Even cru Beaujolais can be tougher to come by with 10 years of age, but that's a pity - this still has its color, it remains a little closed, and clearly has years ahead of it. A little time in the decanter helped, of course, but this is one to revisit in 2025.

20200825_211354.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The 2000 is OK, '99 and '01 are better. Main issue with '00 was keeping the yields down.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I believe 2000 was Noel Verset's last, no?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You're right, I was thinking of Alain.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Do you Burgundy, Rhône and Piedmont lovers buy a case at a time? At auction? How do you find what you want? I’ve never really gotten a cellar going, because I drink whatever I buy. I can’t image actually holding a wine for twenty years, especially since I seem to move about every five years. But how else can you get something more than about ten years old?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I usually buy a case or a mixed case online. If I lived next door to Chambers St. Wines, or Kermit-Lynch it'd be different.

There are shops that specialize in old & rare wines - I should say $pecialize...

10 years is fine to hold a wine; esp. most whites - at 40 years nearly everything has really changed - often for the better (secondaries) but not always, esp. with modern wine-making - - I should say modern wine-mocking...

Tom C

Major Contributor
When I was at Cal, I did go to KL pretty regularly. Awesome place. Really miss Chez Panisse, Peets and North Beach in The City, too. Now I live in small town mid America, so quite different. Any online retailers that can be recommended?

Top Bottom