• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good Gamay is terribly underrated.

We've been on a Featesca Neagra kick in recent months. This will be the next fashionable variety.
Agreed 100% re: Gamay. On the other, if you'd be willing to suggest a reliable producer or two that would be very much appreciated. A quick google check didn't kick up any results from the usual trusted sources.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Agreed 100% re: Gamay. On the other, if you'd be willing to suggest a reliable producer or two that would be very much appreciated. A quick google check didn't kick up any results from the usual trusted sources.

I of course misspelled the variety name. Feteasca! The easiest to find here is likely the Recas (cheap and quite good). My favorites so far are from Davino, Oprisor, and Bauer.

Last edited:
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
20201109_180849.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
colder weather has (temporarily) disrupted my Burgundy & Oregon Pinot stream of consciousness

and I switched to the Northern Rhone for a while - Guigal's 2003 Cote Rotie tasted phenomenal, and my sensory memory tells me it was better than the Hermitage I just polished off

I intend to march on Brunello or Chianti soon

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
2003 was super hot, alcohol levels were elevated, and acidity was low. Very California-like, not much resemblance to classic Cote-Rotie. Guigal’s prestige cuvees had the same issues.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yup - and this was just their cheap plonk

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
yup - and this was just their cheap plonk

I'm astonished at how expensive even their Brune et Blonde (a negoc blend) has gotten. The Northern Rhone has basically priced me out.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Even St. Joseph has gotten too pricey.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes - or double yes; part of it is the trump tariff

I have a large cellar and a finite lifetime, so I don't need to buy wine anymore. (Yet somehow I cannot avoid a few purchases...)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Even St. Joseph has gotten too pricey.

Tell me about it. :( My favorites are all north of $50. But like Wes, I have balanced the maturity of my cellar against my age and mostly buy cheap ready-to-drink things for everyday consumption; weekends, we open the mature stuff.

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
yes - or double yes; part of it is the trump tariff

I have a large cellar and a finite lifetime, so I don't need to buy wine anymore. (Yet somehow I cannot avoid a few purchases...)
Send your address - that's one of the very, very few problems posed on this site that I'm actually capable of helping to remedy!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Send your address - that's one of the very, very few problems posed on this site that I'm actually capable of helping to remedy!

I have a large collection of Dead tunes too. I'm in the PNW...

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
PNW beats my current location, NYC, by a mile. Nicely done. Can't wait to get back to the west coast myself.

No shortage of Dead here but lately I've been on a major Metallica kick.

As for wine, Bdx has been my go to for years but Piedmont has been in heavy recent rotation.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We managed to snag a table at our favorite PHX area restaurant last night. Only two of us, and a long drive, so we had to limit ourselves to a single bottle. It was not at all terrible, great with our main course (roasted sunchokes and chanterelles with mascarpone and tarragon).

1605481945472.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PNW beats my current location, NYC, by a mile. Nicely done. Can't wait to get back to the west coast myself.

No shortage of Dead here but lately I've been on a major Metallica kick.

As for wine, Bdx has been my go to for years but Piedmont has been in heavy recent rotation.

PNW is a good location in general, but you are near Chambers St. wines...

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
PNW is a good location in general, but you are near Chambers St. wines...
One of my go-to merchants! Their affiliated restaurant down the street, Racines, is also well worth visiting.

Reactions: Wes

Linus

I of course misspelled the variety name. Feteasca! The easiest to find here is likely the Recas (cheap and quite good). My favorites so far are from Davino, Oprisor, and Bauer.

Saw this yesterday and it made me laugh in the store.
How was the Knoll ?! Havent’t had his wine in a long time. Used to drink lots Pichler, Knoll, Altzinger... Smaragd riesling used to be my favourite thing.
Since you’re from PHX, do you go to Chris Bianco restaurants a lot?! I did an event with the guy a 4-5 years ago. His food is so delicious.
2DE60435-0F09-454E-97A7-5A3876194198.jpeg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Saw this yesterday and it made me laugh in the store.
How was the Knoll ?! Havent’t had his wine in a long time. Used to drink lots Pichler, Knoll, Altzinger... Smaragd riesling used to be my favourite thing.
Since you’re from PHX, do you go to Chris Bianco restaurants a lot?! I did an event with the guy a 4-5 years ago. His food is so delicious.

I need to find that wine!

Yeah, we went to Bianco's place several times- we are pizza fiends, so not only really enjoy the perfect Napolitana but are always looking for clues to make ours better He's the real deal.

Tonight, we're going Hermitage, and more specifically Bernard Faurie's 1998.

Top Bottom