• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel sorry for people that go to the race-track to bet on one of 8 horses in any of the 8 different races of the day (or wutever).

A long time ago, betting on the best horse (in the glue factory) was a no brainer, as we only had just a few OperatingSystems to pick from.
I feel enchanted that the horse I picked before the OS wars, is still in the running.
I don't even mind that (although I have the TPM/BitLocker) my Z170 (6thGen/Skylake/i7-6700K) system is being b/locked from upgrading to Win11Pro. I had aimed to retire this workhorse server/streamer/VidCam recording rig, after 5 years but it just won't die.
In 7 years, maintenance has been a few vacuum jobs internal to the 4U chassis and a single thermal paste replacement.

Oh, I forgot to discuss my reasons why "Windows11 Must Be Stopped".
Got none...:(

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Z170 (6thGen/Skylake/i7-6700K)
That's lots of pooder power for domestic use and surfing. Maybe even some FPS gaming with a decent video card. Have you tried bypassing the stuff that blocks it from installing? I think with a Z170 and such you can do it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's lots of pooder power for domestic use and surfing. Maybe even some FPS gaming with a decent video card. Have you tried bypassing the stuff that blocks it from installing? I think with a Z170 and such you can do it.
It's been running w/o crashes at ^15%OC.
Was in the InsidersPreview 'guinea-pig' program, while Microsoft vacillated and allowed me to install Win11Pro twice... w/permission.;)
Two NUCs in the house run Win11Pro fine.
The Asus Z170Dlx is perfectly happy running multiple real-time a/v/network/disk management tasks under Windows10Pro.
Until the retirement of the current rig, the horizontally-locked Taskbar of Windows11 is a deal-breaker for me...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Until the retirement of the current rig, the horizontally-locked Taskbar of Windows11 is a deal-breaker for me...
DittO! I'm the same way. I use it @ the left side. It makes sense there. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't you just upgrade to a Z690 system? But kept Win10?
That would be die-hard...:eek:
Yes, I bought a fresh Win10 OEM for installation via USB drive at home. It was troublesome. I had to hunt down a UEFI BIOS setting that was incorrect. It would not see the NVMe drive. The newest 500GB Samsung Pro version.

This fixed it after trying about 6 other fixes this one worked.
Why can’t I enable CSM on my new motherboard?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been running w/o crashes at ^15%OC.
Was in the InsidersPreview 'guinea-pig' program, while Microsoft vacillated and allowed me to install Win11Pro twice... w/permission.;)
Two NUCs in the house run Win11Pro fine.
The Asus Z170Dlx is perfectly happy running multiple real-time a/v/network/disk management tasks under Windows10Pro.
I also have an ASUS Z-170 6700K system running a 15% OC and a GTX 1070. Been very good for me since 2016.

Andysu

Major Contributor
installed windows 11 last year and , it . . . sucks ! i can't uninstall it and should have stayed with windows 7, i was at easy with the layout and the windows 11 lay it . . . sucks ! anyway i have to bite my tongue and me and my cats have to live with . windows sucks 11 !

JSmith

Master Contributor
1652667202777.jpeg

JSmith

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Win11 took it all the way to forcing you to have an MS Account.

This is simply not true. You do not need a MS account to either install or run Win 11! Just a valid license, and in many cases a Win 10 license would do.

And for the fun of it, yours truly runs fully licensed, fully functional Win 11 Pro on his 2012 Dell Precision T5500’s. The ones with legacy-only BIOS (ie no secure boot or even simple UEFI support)… yet with 4TB hard drives, bootable NVMe drives, and again with licensed fully operational (including getting updates) Win 11! Sweet! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46664

This is simply not true. You do not need a MS account to either install or run Win 11! Just a valid license, and in many cases a Win 10 license would do.

And for the fun of it, yours truly runs fully licensed, fully functional Win 11 Pro on his 2012 Dell Precision T5500’s. The ones with legacy-only BIOS (ie no secure boot or even simple UEFI support)… yet with 4TB hard drives, bootable NVMe drives, and again with licensed fully operational (including getting updates) Win 11! Sweet! :)

I'm glad you're happy with it ... I would not be.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Baby dinosaurs to papa dinosaurs: “Daddy, daddy, they‘ve invented that thing called ‘[a bunch of cool services in] THE CLOUD‘, and my computer now keeps ‘calling home’ into it! How do I stop it!?” :)

D

Deleted member 46664

Baby dinosaurs to papa dinosaurs: “Daddy, daddy, they‘ve invented that thing called ‘[a bunch of cool services in] THE CLOUD‘, and my computer now keeps ‘calling home’ into it! How do I stop it!?” :)

Really? That's your reply?

How? You stop it by running an OS version that doesn't even try it.
Why? Because I have absolutely no desire to see private legal documents stored on someone else's computer.

Privacy and the secrecy of certain documents is important. That two entire generations do not appreciate this is, well, rather scary.

You guys really don't get this do you... it's not a privacy thing ... it's a secrecy thing.

JSmith

Master Contributor
it's a secrecy thing
You have heard of deep packet inspection I assume?
... and browser fingerprinting?

JSmith

Raindog123

Major Contributor
…baby dinosaurs to papa dinosaurs: “Daddy, daddy, they’ve invented a thing called ‘MS OneDrive’ [’Apple iCloud’] that lets me to access my files from any computer without a floppy! Should I put my W-2’s and 1040s there!?”

(and what now feels like waaaay back): “Daddy, daddy, they’ve invented a thing called ‘Amazon’ - where you can shop online! Give your credit card and then not sure when/if/what you get. Scary!”

Last edited:
Top Bottom