• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

TK750

It doesn't deteriorate with time. Sure someone may find a new exploit or write a better virus, but in the end this system is every bit as safe and stable today as it was the day I first installed it.
I didn't want to get involved but you've suckered me in now lol.

I don't understand how you could possibly say 'sure someone could find a new exploit or write a better virus' and then go on to conclude that the system is every bit as safe today as it was however many years ago?? New exploits etc are discovered for software all the time, I mean extremely frequently. Even for software that is new and well maintained it is not unusual for new exploits to be discovered often. I'm not trying to be rude but I'm just extremely baffled by your reasoning?

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pipewire is taking over, it works well with both Jack and Pulse Audio clients. Of course I don't know if it addresses your specific issues with Jack.

The DAW's I use can only address ASIO as a low latency driver so it doesn't :(

D

Deleted member 46664

I didn't want to get involved but you've suckered me in now lol.

I don't understand how you could possibly say 'sure someone could find a new exploit or write a better virus' and then go on to conclude that the system is every bit as safe today as it was however many years ago?? New exploits etc are discovered for software all the time, I mean extremely frequently. Even for software that is new and well maintained it is not unusual for new exploits to be discovered often. I'm not trying to be rude but I'm just extremely baffled by your reasoning?

The software in my system has not changed. Any vulnerabilities that were there 10 years ago are still there today. Conversely, there are no new vulnerabilities that were not there 10 years ago. It's not self-modifying code.

Now given that level of stability: If I've used it all this time without problems, what's the justification for re-building my systems with OS software that is known to spy on users, is known to report to microsoft, that cannot be used without an MS account, that can't be stopped from updating itself at inconvenient times, restricts the software I can use, and is even known to show advertising on it's desktop?

raif71

Major Contributor
1652443154438.png

TK750

The software in my system has not changed. Any vulnerabilities that were there 10 years ago are still there today. Conversely, there are no new vulnerabilities that were not there 10 years ago. It's not self-modifying code.
Obviously it's not self modifying, the point is not that the vulnerabilities have suddenly been 'created' of course you are correct they have always been there. The point is that they are newly discovered and therefore a much greater risk and people are aware of them and can exploit them. Obviously your computer is at far greater risk now than 10 years ago as people were not aware these vulnerabilities even existed then, now there are a whole host more that people are aware of and can use on systems like yours that are not patched?!

Now given that level of stability: If I've used it all this time without problems, what's the justification for re-building by systems with OS software that is known to spy on users, is known to report to microsoft, that cannot be used without an MS account, that can't be stopped from updating itself at inconvenient times and is even known to show advertising on it's desktop?
I wasn't trying to defend anti privacy measures Microsoft have made, I agree they are bad. (I'm referring to Windows 10 here, I don't use 11 currently) However if you are interested it is fairly trivial to disable the spying on users and reporting to Microsoft, you don't need a Microsoft account (I'm guessing you are referring to 11 here perhaps? And I'm not sure if that is the case), It can quite simply be stopped from updating itself at inconvenient times, I've never even heard of any advertising on desktop so no idea what you're referring to there (again maybe a Win11 thing?). I think there was some awful advertising thing introduced into file explorer at some point but I have always had it turned off. EDIT: Just noticed I missed the software restriction bit, not sure what you're alluding to there exactly, every OS has some form of restrictions in terms of what software you are able to run on it. Don't get me wrong I'm far from a Microsoft fanboy and I agree one shouldn't have to work around these things or disable them from their defaults.

The only thing I was really addressing or interested in was I think you massively underestimate the security risk and differences, that's all.

I noticed you mention unless you know exactly what an update is doing you won't install it, can I assume you have read the entire source code of Win7 and any software and updates you use on it then?

D

Deleted member 46664

The only thing I was really addressing or interested in was I think you massively underestimate the security risk and differences, that's all.

Think my system is at risk? I can give you my IP address and you're welcome to try...

I have a friend who has, what he calls "a nifty habit of getting into places" and years ago I gave him a simple challenge ... Get into my computer and leave me a note on my desktop ... it's been 6 or 7 years and despite repeated attempts he hasn't even been able to connect to my systems.

I am keenly aware of things like Phishing and PiggyBacking and other user-complicit vulnerabilities and I just don't fall for them.

I noticed you mention unless you know exactly what an update is doing you won't install it, can I assume you have read the entire source code of Win7 and any software and updates you use on it then?

Of course not ... nobody has ... But I'm not going to install "Security Update 33234566 - Urgent" without knowing what it's doing. Even Microsoft's list of vulnerabilities does not identify the file that is being changed or what the change is. I would install "Security update 3938, repairing mmsys.dll vulnerability in LoadMMFile() function" ... because I know what it's doing to my system and how to reverse it if it goes wrong.

People take it on blind faith that these companies are going to play fair... and there's evidence they do not. A friend of mine had file sharing software deleted from his system by an update because MS deemed it unsafe. How is that any of their business?

Moreover; how do you trust a company that is slowly becoming even more intrusive than facebook or google?

At least with this setup, I am running a stable system that is totally isolated from any tampering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saponetto

My 5 Cents starts:
No matters if you are a W7 or W10-11 fan, -always- use some simple software, just as TCPView.
No install required, it is just resident the time fragment you need it to work.

You'll see every single IP your PC calls.

D

Deleted member 46664

No offense, but at the moment you sound a bit like the audiophools when we point out their folly in audio matters, but IT in this case. :p

That's a little confusing. Sorry to hear you feel that way.

But you can rest assured that as a one-time software developer, writing diagnostic programs for 8088 based systems, that I've looked at the losses in privacy, the threats to security, even the risks of being on-line ... and I have not arrived at this position lightly. My decisions and my approach are evidence based.

The plain fact is that MY computer is not theirs to mess with. I have documents and information here that are "courtroom quality" and a lot of accumulated data about various topics that I do not care to have remotely catalogued, invalidated by an update or stored on someone else's computer (even if encrypted).

Privacy does matter.

D

Deleted member 46664

My 5 Cents starts:
No matters if you are a W7 or W10-11 fan, -always- use some simple software, just as TCPView.
No install required, it is just resident the time fragment you need it to work.

You'll see every single IP your PC calls.

Yep ... handy tool, part of the Sysinternals suite.

Right now showing my systems connected to only one external end point ... Chrome to ASR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Windows 11 must be stopped?
Much too late, it should have been done in version 2.0b for Pagemaker.

As for Windows and security, everything was already clear when they introduced NT Worstation and Server operating systems.
At that time you easily achieved the C2 security, and ONLY with a connected power cable, no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor and above all no network cable :facepalm:.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Think my system is at risk? I can give you my IP address and you're welcome to try...
As long as your hardware and the software you run is compatible with Win7, and as long as you take security measures (such as avoiding clicking on stuff you shouldn't be clicking on), I don't see why you can't get by..., at least for as long as your stuff boots. I mean, there are folks who still run legacy 32 bit OS/2 and Win 3x/DOS programs, on the latest and greatest AcraOS... gotta keep those Pentium Pros going.

However, if security and possibly a bit of privacy was my primary goal, and if connectivity was important, I'd be rethinking my priorities. Just to be on the safe side. Looking at some of the security centric Linux distros, or possibly something in the BSD family. Again, it depends upon how much effort one wants to put into it, and what one has to work with.

If security and even more privacy was my primary goal, then I'd stay off line. But even that isn't going to get you a free lunch in todays otherwise connected environment. For that, you need a singlewide in the mountains, by a river or lake, and some animals that can help you farm. I'm not even sure that is 100% possible, in today's world. Last I heard, D.B. Cooper was making a go of it, with his friend Bigfoot.

D

Deleted member 46664

As long as your hardware and the software you run is compatible with Win7, and as long as you take security measures (such as avoiding clicking on stuff you shouldn't be clicking on), I don't see why you can't get by..., at least for as long as your stuff boots.

So far so good ... haven't found any software that won't run.

I just don't buy the whole Automatic Updates thing and the levels of trust it involves... when I know the parent company has gone right off the rails.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Now given that level of stability: If I've used it all this time without problems, what's the justification for re-building my systems with OS software that is known to spy on users, is known to report to microsoft, that cannot be used without an MS account, that can't be stopped from updating itself at inconvenient times, restricts the software I can use, and is even known to show advertising on it's desktop?
I installed my Win10 without a Microsoft account and without approving calling home. You mean to say when I changeover to Win11 in some years before Win10 stops being supported that I have to have a MS account and allow calling home? That's rubbish! That and the sidebar cannot be used on the left side. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
People take it on blind faith that these companies are going to play fair... and there's evidence they do not. A friend of mine had file sharing software deleted from his system by an update because MS deemed it unsafe. How is that any of their business?
That's a good point.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Everything on your hard drive is encrypted and Bill Gates holds the key?
Actually YOU hold the key to bitlocker encrypted drives.
Either in your Microsoft account or as a text file on a secure USB stick or printed on a sheet of toiletpaper.... your pick.

Also, worrying about privacy and then using the Internet is a wee bit ... lol. If you want private: stay offline.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only watched the first 5 minutes so far, but my take is:
  • Yes it's a kind of bothersome that Microsoft should be the (sole?) source of cryptographic keys.
  • By and large UEFI Secure Boot is a Good Thing, making it much tougher for kiddies to boot public PCs from their own USB sticks and do who knows what (and yes this is a real thing). Unless you specifically wish to run legacy OSes, you want UEFI Secure Boot.
  • Popular Linux distros support UEFI Secure Boot just fine, though updates periodically require me to go into firmware and update keys before they'll boot, dunno why the process is not as transparent as with Windows.
  • Regular random applications don't need to be signed in any way, though you may need to approve a security warning before they'll run. This is actually a good thing.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see you've bought the whole Security Updates thing ... Well I don't. Unless I know exactly what an update is doing, it's not going into my system.

So you have access to Windows 7 source code and have inspected every patch and update it received until Microsoft ceased support (on top of having a complete understanding of all the RTM code). I'm impressed.

D

Deleted member 46664

So you have access to Windows 7 source code and have inspected every patch and update it received until Microsoft ceased support (on top of having a complete understanding of all the RTM code). I'm impressed.

Nope ... already covered this ... not playing this game.

3.png

Top Bottom