• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will elevating speaker height help countering vertical bass null?

Mentalrudy

Hi there,
Found out I have a huuuge vertical bass null in my room, in all practical seating positions. Is there sny chance of countering it by elevating speaker height, f.i. Wall mounting active monitors?
Grts!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you explain what you mean by "vertical bass null"?

If you mean a cancellation resulting from the floor reflection, then elevating the speaker will shift the frequency of the cancellation but not eliminate it.

Or maybe you're talking about something else?

OP
M

Mentalrudy

Could you explain what you mean by "vertical bass null"?

If you mean a cancellation resulting from the floor reflection, then elevating the speaker will shift the frequency of the cancellation but not eliminate it.

Or maybe you're talking about something else?

Hi,
Yes, bass cancellation at seating height. It’s ok when standing upright, but when i sit down, bam! Practically no bass from 70-60 hz down.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Could you share your room dimensions? And do you have an idea where in the freq range the nulls are exactly (maybe with the help of test tones or a mic)? 50hz?

If it's really the vertical (floor-ceiling) room mode null I'm under the impression your seating position would have to be around 1/4 room height (edit: to be in a null). But I'm guessing it's a combination of room modes & SBIR

Here's a couple of useful calculators for these different effects:
Room mode
Floor/ceiling bounce
SBIR

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If it's a room mode, you can help the situation but not cure it with EQ and bass traps (real ones: Helmholtz or membrane-type).

If it's a standing wave, the above will be more effective, but shifting speaker and listening position will help the most.

Given the frequency range, I would assume it has something to do with the 8-foot ceiling common in NA, and is therefore a room mode.

OP
M

Mentalrudy

If it's a room mode, you can help the situation but not cure it with EQ and bass traps (real ones: Helmholtz or membrane-type).

If it's a standing wave, the above will be more effective, but shifting speaker and listening position will help the most.

Given the frequency range, I would assume it has something to do with the 8-foot ceiling common in NA, and is therefore a room mode.
Yes, the ceiling height is exactly 8 feet.

OP
M

Mentalrudy

Could you share your room dimensions? And do you have an idea where in the freq range the nulls are exactly (maybe with the help of test tones or a mic)? 50hz?

If it's really the vertical (floor-ceiling) room mode null I'm under the impression your seating position would have to be around 1/4 room height (edit: to be in a null). But I'm guessing it's a combination of room modes & SBIR

Here's a couple of useful calculators for these different effects:
Room mode
Floor/ceiling bounce
SBIR
Should look up the exact dimensions but it’s close to 8m20x6m70x2m40

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
bass cancellation at seating height. It’s ok when standing upright, but when i sit down, bam! Practically no bass from 70-60 hz down.

Significantly changing the height of the woofers may help. You might try the speakers upside-down to keep the tweeters at or near your desired height.

Adding an overlapping subwoofer near the ceiling (instead of on the floor) may help even more, as this will distribute your bass sources significantly in the vertical plane. Ideally the subwoofer would have a continuously-variable phase control, as that can help fine-tune the net result.

Top Bottom