• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wide dispersion active studio monitor?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any wide dispersion studio monitors are does that basically defeat the purpose?
Adam 5SV or Mesanovic RTM10 with ribbon tweeters? Focals? I've had Genelec 8351b and Dutch and Dutch 8c do any of the other Genelecs have a wider dispersion? Make more sense to look at passive design like Revel?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
u mean like bluetooth round speaker kind of dispersion? amazon echo dot like?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spontaneously I'd say that there have been offerings from Focal, ATC, PMC, Eve, Dynaudio, Barefoot, Adam and Mesanovic that fit the bill. Probably others as well. Basically you'll want a monitor without a waveguide, and for the widest possible dispersion either a ribbon tweeter or a comparatively small tweeter - 3/4" would be better than a 1".

Other than the Mesanovic which seems absolutely stunning on paper, I would personally probably try to find an older 3-way model with a small tweeter which crosses over to a dedicated smaller midrange so that the directivity pattern doesn't suffer too much. My feeling is that most of the monitor producers have been starting to use waveguides lately, so you might have more luck on the used market.

Best wide dispersion design at the moment is probably the passive BMR speakers from Philhamonic Audio / @Dennis Murphy .

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to those chiming in , I have been reading about the BMR here on ASR. Those as well as Revel, I've heard the 226be, perhaps, Focals and Dali in passive design. Doesn't seem to be much in actives.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically you'll want a monitor without a waveguide, and for the widest possible dispersion either a ribbon tweeter or a comparatively small tweeter - 3/4" would be better than a 1".
I would like to add though that a good waveguide design not only narrows the directivity in the lower frequency region of a tweeter but can make it also wider in the upper one where the same tweeter without it would start beaming more, so a loudspeaker with a flat-ish waveguide might be considered too.

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm probably on a fools errand trying to find active speakers that would sound as good as the DD 8c in the primary listening position covering a larger area.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
behringer 2030 is the widest active monitor I know about, and it certainly sounds that way. With a bit of EQ and a sub it's probably one of my favorite speakers.

OP
J

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
behringer 2030 is the widest active monitor I know about, and it certainly sounds that way. With a bit of EQ and a sub it's probably one of my favorite speakers.
I never thought of those there is a review Here of the older passive 2030p.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The Focal trios look like they have wide dispersion. Nothing but rave reviews by studio guys, Ive had 2 of the top film mixers in Vancouver tell me to buy Focals for home, one of them said he can't mix on them, they make everything sound great.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to add though that a good waveguide design not only narrows the directivity in the lower frequency region of a tweeter but can make it also wider in the upper one where the same tweeter without it would start beaming more, so a loudspeaker with a flat-ish waveguide might be considered too.

Agreed.

I don't think that would be the case with a three-way with a 3/4" tweeter though. I find it a bit mysterious that it's not more common with that configuration - 3/4" tweeter, 3- or 4" mid, and woofer. To me it seems like the optimal way of creating uniform wide directivity with conventional drivers and box speakers. Harman did that with the Primus 360 speaker and the following models in the 2000s, but I think they are discontinued now.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it a bit mysterious that it's not more common with that configuration - 3/4" tweeter, 3- or 4" mid, and woofer. To me it seems like the optimal way of creating uniform wide directivity with conventional drivers and box speakers
Yes, many old German loudspeakers were like that and I even designed such a loudspeaker as a fun DIY project few years ago (6,5", 2", 0,75").

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I would suggest the beolab 5 from B&O. They have a super wide disperion from tweeter and midrange. The only caveat buying them is that they aren't made anymore, so you'll have to try a second hand one. And they are expensive. Even second hand I would expect to pay between 5000 and 7500 euros for a pair.

Edit: or the beolab 9, which I have been enjoying for about 10 years now. They sell for 2500 or thereabouts

Top Bottom