• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why so few headphone amplifiers with a bass / tremble controls ?

OP
P

Pascalito

You might want to look at the popular Fosi K5 Mini Stereo Gaming DAC. It is a USB powered DAC w/out a remote that is alot of fun in a desktop system and only costs $60. It may not sound not quite as nice as the next tier DACs ($100 and up w/ a remote), depending on the sytem and speakers. It will certinly sound better than any internal laptop, TV, Etc. Dac. It has been reviewed here @ ASR and doesn't get much love, but I think it is a good product.
Thanks Moto, the format is nice, but I think it sounds worse than my Behringer mixer, and the "mini jack" is a problem.
I'm going to have to go for a balanced Topping to have a little quality, but but without Baxendal :(

egellings

Major Contributor
Hi everybody,
First, thanks for this forum !
My question is in the title, why so few headphone amplifiers with a bass / tremble controls ?
I find two, Fosi SK-01 (with battery !?) and Geshelli (okay very sexy and beautifull but 500 bucks..)
Is there a model under $200 with a baxendal?

Thanks

Pascal
Mabe the headphone amplifier gets seen by some listeners as a miniature power amplifier that is used with an external preamp, similar to what is often done with speakers, power amps and preamps. Others may prefer an integrated all-in-one approach.

Kimbrough Xu

Hi everybody,
First, thanks for this forum !
My question is in the title, why so few headphone amplifiers with a bass / tremble controls ?
I find two, Fosi SK-01 (with battery !?) and Geshelli (okay very sexy and beautifull but 500 bucks..)
Is there a model under $200 with a baxendal?

Thanks

Pascal
What is a baxendal?

Bleib

Major Contributor
There are some designs with crossfeed, the idea is to blend the two channels a bit so it's more like a normal stereo experience. Never tried but to me this sounds like the most interesting idea.
PEQ should be on the DAC

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What is a baxendal?
A type of tone control design, named after its designer.

Just for completeness ;)
Baxandall
Yes, active, NFB-type tone controls.
see, e.g., https://sound-au.com/dwopa2.htm#s7
which references
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wireless-World/50s/Wireless-World-1952-10.pdf (page 402 of the issue)

1710016774269.png

Top Bottom