• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is Steaming Digital Music From Computer to DAC Bad?

Hapo

...now I have to buy one before they all sell out...

...methinks the 256GB model is the sweet spot...

...would one of those 7" touch screens for the Rasberry work with the MeLE...???...

Last edited:

Hapo

...what do I need for a power supply...???...

Hapo

....I found the power supply...it is propriatorial @ 12V 2A...

61NsA6gBHAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...I think the computer ships with one...people were having problems getting replacments or extras...they keep calling it a replacement...

...you have fuked up my Schitt here...

...I will probably be bothering people here aboot making it into a streamer but I might figger it myself as I just want internet radio and Amazon Unlimited...

...you know...just what my Chromebook is already doing...LoL...

Simpsons_SO28_Gallery_11-fb0b632.jpg

71sxy6MVgpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61C8wO89KSL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

81mE6rqA7xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hapo

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Let us know how you get on with the keyboard. The Rii mini i8 looks good on paper, but is frustrating as a remote because it takes a few seconds to reconnect after it's gone to sleep to save battery. The small touch pad is frustrating on a large screen too.

Hapo

...I will probably smash it and get an actual mouse and keyboard if I actualy get the MeLE up and running...

...I should probably just order those now...

...th SegaS arrived some time in the night so soon I will be elininating the FM tunner/preamp and streaming FM radio from DAC...

EDIT : The head phones arrived, (late w/o cables), not the SegaS...this made me realize the Magi is a fine preamp and that I don't need many inputs...

...I canceld the Sega S, or tried to...the company does not comunicate for Schitt...

Last edited:

Hapo

Let us know how you get on with the keyboard. The Rii mini i8 looks good on paper, but is frustrating as a remote because it takes a few seconds to reconnect after it's gone to sleep to save battery. The small touch pad is frustrating on a large screen too.

...I was able to cancle this so no smashing...thanks for your biased opinion....Hapo like...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
...I was able to cancle this so no smashing...thanks for your biased opinion....Hapo like...
It was a genuine question. For all I know they may have fixed the slow reconnect in the mini X1. I can understand you not wanting to risk it though.

Hapo

61-pM80MokL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...this is not as cute but less smash worthy...

...I am spazzing out a bit here...I have removed the Schiit from my system...

...I am sick of Schitt and decided I want balanced headhpone amp/DAC/preamp instead...no RME ADI 2 though...pearls before swine there...

...the headphones did shipwith their DUMMER cables but they are balanced...I don't want to mess with wierd adaptors or return headphones...

...so now I need a different DAC...

...I don't know if ths helps the OG poster or not but I am not intending to cancle order for Topping EX5...one can actualy aquire one of those...

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well general recommendation problem for something which is X64 part for a fanless server/streamer and DSP whose we generally didn't had anything new in sub 10W DTP range to recommend (old Y and Pentium - Celeron range whose and still is just enough for Linux). I mean there are nice AMD U part's but they are in 15W range and automative apus with 6~9W DTP but with old Jaguar core's). Luckily the wind is changing with new announced 9W Intel parts (one i3 and two Pentium's so far) but you will have to wait for those some more time. Its advised to use SPDIF out into the DAC (integrated or standalone) from a PC (or development board SoM - SoC).

JaccoW

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends what you mean by "overs". It does nothing for inter-sample x-overs, which occur in the DAC's reconstruction filter. For music played directly at the correct sample rate, with no equalization, CAudioLimiter almost always does more harm than good given how hot mixes are mastered these days.

IMHO there should be a way to disable it without having to rely on ASIO. Maybe in Windows 12.

there's also WASAPI, but that's probably not what you had in mind

Hapo

...and down the rabbit hole we go...LoLoL...!!!...

...and so it begins...can the MeLEE connect to wifi...???...can you use a wi fi dongle with it...???...is there such an adapter...???...

Last edited:

Hapo

Speaking of streaming digital music from a computer, Archimago reviews a $250 fanless Windows box that seems capable of being a Room endpoint and running streaming video. Sells on Amazon, and Ali Express. The performance of its Celeron J4125 processor exceeds an Intel I7-5500U on PassMark.

This looks Interesting.
The digital out is a bonus.
...the MeLE was easy to set up, even for me, and I am posting this with it and the other new equipment posted above while we stream from Amazon...$317...

...the mouse and keyboard are unbelievably nice for $17...!!!...the $100 monitor was a steal but methinks I got the last one...

...I cannot believe I was aboot to buy a 8" Raspberry Pi screen for more $$$...the MeLE Queiter 2Q is indeed an actual computer with more power than the Chromebook I was struggling with...what a step up...!!!...

...the Grace internet radio was easy to set up as well and sounds just like hi fi to me...it keeps getting booted from play @ Amazon but I am probably not doing something right...it is great at finding and playing radio stations...I had no trouble finding the one I wanted, WSHU...it will get all kinds of music for free...this is for me mum's system, eh...

...the MeLE has added a depth and spaciousness to the sound that is hard to describe with mere words to technophiles who don't have my golden hears...the transients float in space like little butterflies with big stingers, caressing the ear with sharp tonality...really...!!!... (grin)

...in all seriousness thanks for posting this...the MeLE has transformed my desktop experience in ways an expensive streaming devise would not...

Last edited:

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...thank you for posting this thread...

...I have an old $1000 computer that needs work that is equipped with the "Creative Lab Sound Blaster" audio card that I could probably not distingquish form the Modi 3+ this $200 Chromebook is feeding...

...I was looking for a cheap streaming device to use instead of a computer to receive internet radio and Amazon Unlimited...

...I bought this to see if I can hook it up to my wifi and stream to an Aiyima 07 amp and some old Energy 2.1e's...it looks like I can plug a CD player into it as well...like a little preamp...if it works I migh even buy some of those Elac Debut Refence DBR62 and put the Energy 2.1e's away agian...it would replace a little cheap Sony CD player/radio that is doing a pretty good job as pre amp and tuner...I have CD changer feeding into it...I tried it's USB in but it could not see the Chromebook...

...I do not know if the Grace Link Internet Radio Tuner relevent enough to send in to amirm......is this a thread jack yet...???...

I just got one of these Grace Link internet radio “tuners”. Roon’s internet radio implementation is kind of a pain and I like to listen to Pandora when just hanging out for working on things. I really like it. The digital output resamples everything to 48khz so not the best streaming endpoint for Roon or a flac library but for compressed streaming services it’s fine. Don’t know what the internal DAC is like, I didn’t try it. Cute, convenient, and there is a nice remote control app for Apple and Android devices.

Attachments

• B2FD113F-1411-486D-8362-EBBD1DF53C9F.jpeg
    B2FD113F-1411-486D-8362-EBBD1DF53C9F.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 70

Hapo

...I have not sent mine back yet...it is working well...no wierd schitt...I like how it just finds any station...

...the MeLE has migrated to me dear old mum's room as it is much easier to run than this chrome book...it keeps crashing with an external monitor...I was going to give her this but that would be cruel...

...I set the MeLe up with the Acer monitor and a set of Edifier R1280T speakers...now we are streaming music into her room plus she has a computer again...

...I remain convinced that a small computer is the ideal streaming solution for me...I am looking to try a more powerful one than the MeLE w/o going down the rabbit hole here...I was starting to consdier discrete grapihcs n' schitt...

...I wonder if it would be relevant for amirm to test some of these...???...are they all as clean as the MeLE...???...

...I will probably end up with the rabbits listening to the cooling fan in a $900 Intel NUC 11...

61378kbQIRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...then there is this...it is supposed to have superior audio...I am think of it as a CD player...it can stream Prime Video...and play Bluray/DVD...

...the last blu ray player that could play everything that I tried would not paly audio and video through my system at the same time...when hooked up as indicated audio was a buzz tone...

51gImdCqtKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Hapo

It was a genuine question. For all I know they may have fixed the slow reconnect in the mini X1. I can understand you not wanting to risk it though.

...FWIW so far this mouse and keyboard have been excellent period never mind @ their price point...

61-pM80MokL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ferrellms

Hi everyone. New member here. I have been reading this site alot and I love it. I believe in measurements and this site actually provides hard data with reasonable input and conclusions. I am planning out some audio upgrades and in the future I want to use a computer to steam digital audio (Amazon HD) from a USB port to a DAC. I currently use this Amazon HD and a wireless keyboard so I can sit on the couch and control the songs, or stream old/new music concerts over the computer on my TV and get great sound. Right now I just run it through my receiver/ with old Sonus Faber speakers, but I am getting close to getting the Benchmark DAC3, their amp (maybe), and new speakers.

Here is my question. Why do so many people and sales people say streaming from a PC is so bad. I have a degree and EE and as I see it, the data from the web is likely error checked and accurate and it is retimed by the network cards, USB ports in the computer and DAC. With the error correction and retiming, I don't understand why people say that digital data from a computer is inferior to a dedicated expensive streamer. I don't experience errors with other data over the internet. Data over an USB port is not riddled with errors. Is this just audiophiles promoting the most expensive gear or are there real technical difference in the digital data from a computer USB port computer to a $$$ streamer that can be measured. Any test/reviews on this? Thank you !!
You are right - they are no different - bits are the same!

Top Bottom