• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why I can't get audio from PS5?

Pancreas

I'm trying to get PS5 audio through my Genelec speakers. I have a computer monitor with built-in speakers and a headphone jack. I connected the computer monitor headphone jack to the computer Line in with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it worked, I would get ps5 audio through speaker, but computer has to be on every time.

So I bought a 3.5mm to 2 TS cable. I connected the computer monitor headphone jack to my interface line out 3 and 4. I have no sound, when the PS5 is producing sound, no bars moving on the interface. I can't hear anything.

What did I do wrong? I thought this would allow me to listen to PS5 through my speakers without my PC being on. If it worked with the computer, why is not working with the interface?

Maybe I'm supposed to connect to the line input on the interface rather than line out?

41AJLzNNw3L.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Can't make heads or tails of what you have connected to what o_O

I think a drawing or two would make a world of difference.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The cable looks correct so maybe something is wrong with your interface. Does your interface work with anything? Does it have an XLR/TRS combo jack? If so, does it have a mic/line switch or a mic/instrument switch.

RCA-to-1/4 inch adapters are common and can be found inexpensively. That would allow you to plug-in something else... A CD/DVD player or your TV, etc., as another way to test the interface.

Your interface also needs "zero latency direct-hardware monitoring" in order to get sound out without going through the computer. Not all interfaces have that. But that has noting to do with the "meters" not showing anything.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
That is gotta be the shittiest audio chain I ever seen.

So basically your doing: PS5 Out--> Monitor In---> Monitor DAC 3.5mm Out---> Computer ADC 3.5mm In --> Computer DAC 3.5mm Out---> Genelec speakers.

I don't know what your monitor is capable of. The only thing I can say is get an HDMI 4K/60hz extractor (A box that strips the audio signal to a different output and sends the video to your monitor)

Here's 2 paths:
PS5 --> HDMI Extractor DAC 3.5mm Out --> Genelec Speakers
PS5 --> HDMI Extractor Optical Out --> Optical In DAC --> Genelec Speakers.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I managed to get sound

I connected it to the interface Line input 3 and 4 and then clicked on "listen to this device" and playback through main out 1 and 2

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

That is gotta be the shittiest audio chain I ever seen.

So basically your doing: PS5 Out--> Monitor In---> Monitor DAC 3.5mm Out---> Computer ADC 3.5mm In --> Computer DAC 3.5mm Out---> Genelec speakers.

I don't know what your monitor is capable of. The only thing I can say is get an HDMI 4K/60hz extractor (A box that strips the audio signal to a different output and sends the video to your monitor)

Here's 2 paths:
PS5 --> HDMI Extractor DAC 3.5mm Out --> Genelec Speakers
PS5 --> HDMI Extractor Optical Out --> Optical In DAC --> Genelec Speakers.

That's wrong.

This is what I was doing:

PS5 hdmi to Monitor hdmi
Monitor headphone 3.5mm to computer 3.5mm in

That's it, because my computer is connected to my interface via USB, I was able to get sound from ps5 through speakers

What I did now is used the cable in the photo above to connect

Monitor headphone 3.5mm to interface Line input 3 and 4

Genelec speaker only have XLR inputs, so the only way is the HDMI extractor optical to my interface optical. That's the best way, but it just adds another device and power brick to my setup

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
That's wrong.

This is what I was doing:

PS5 hdmi to Monitor hdmi
Monitor headphone 3.5mm to computer 3.5mm in

That's it, because my computer is connected to my interface via USB, I was able to get sound from ps5 through speakers

What I did now is used the cable in the photo above to connect

Monitor headphone 3.5mm to interface Line input 3 and 4
Your audio quality is gonna be down the shitter. I mean you do you.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The cable looks correct so maybe something is wrong with your interface. Does your interface work with anything? Does it have an XLR/TRS combo jack? If so, does it have a mic/line switch or a mic/instrument switch.

RCA-to-1/4 inch adapters are common and can be found inexpensively. That would allow you to plug-in something else... A CD/DVD player or your TV, etc., as another way to test the interface.

Your interface also needs "zero latency direct-hardware monitoring" in order to get sound out without going through the computer. Not all interfaces have that. But that has noting to do with the "meters" not showing anything.

I managed to get sound by connecting to Line input 3 and 4. Yes, it has direct monitoring, I just activated it for line 3 and 4. So basically with this, I can get the best sound without going through the computer?

monitoring.png

AudiOhm

This is why I have a Preamp/Processor all inputs go to one output then to amp.

Every conversion Digital to Analog and Vice Versa is degrading the signal.

Just my opinion...

Ohms

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Your audio quality is gonna be down the shitter. I mean you do you.

I already knew that, this is temporary. I've been doing research on HDMI extractor, the best way is HDMI extractor optical to interface optical. I like good quality stuff. The Genelec speakers are so good that even with the lower quality caused by this setup, it still sounds great

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I already knew that, this is temporary. I've been doing research on HDMI extractor, the best way is HDMI extractor optical to interface optical. I like good quality stuff. The Genelec speakers are so good that even with the lower quality caused by this setup, it still sounds great
Sure that'll be the best audio chain but a good chunk of PS5 games use ATRAC9 (A lossy audio format). At least its a digital to digital chain to preserve as much audio then an analog to analog degrade chain.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Sure that'll be the best audio chain but a good chunk of PS5 games use ATRAC9 (A lossy audio format). At least its a digital to digital chain to preserve as much audio then an analog to analog degrade chain.

So what would best audio setup for the ps5 besides the HDMI extractor optical?

The problem is most of these HDMI extractor seem to be crappy low quality and not long lasting. Many, if not most of them have some negative reviews of them failing, or eventually not detecting the signal, etc.

This is the best HDMI unit devices apparently but is expensive

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
So what would best audio setup for the ps5 besides the HDMI extractor optical?
In terms of the "best possible" path, right now would be a AV receiver. Modern receivers support 4K/120hz with VRR and other goodies.

The problem is most of these HDMI extractor seem to be crappy low quality and not long lasting. Many, if not most of them have some negative reviews of them failing, or eventually not detecting the signal, etc.
Honestly if your monitor isn't 120hz and doesn't support VRR, I would take a gamble and buy a cheap 4k/60hz extractor or cough up the extra dough and buy one from a "name-brand" like Insignia or something, at least they support HDR. If you want VRR and 4K/120hz, there is pricey 4K/120hz extractors that support VRR.

This is the best HDMI unit devices apparently but is expensive
They don't sell HDMI extractors

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I'm on a desk setup, so an AV receiver would take up too much space tho my desk is 72x30, is not ideal. I game on my desk hence why ps5 and PC are on it, is a pc not xbox

I suppose you could put one under the desk, but I'd rather avoid drilling this desk, this is a solid wood desk, id rather avoid the risk of cracking

My monitor is 4k hdmi 2.1 but I don't use that now as most games don't have 120hz, is more a future proof thing and well my computer is old so that need to be replaced eventually tho is not a priority since i mainly game from ps5. My computer is a 2018 HP pavillion with RX580 so is not good for today gaming. I don't even try to game on it anymore

I'm a guitar player, for now I used that cable in the OP and activated hardware monitoring on my interface, so the computer doesn't need to be on. It sounds decent tbh probably cause the Genelec are good speakers. It would sound better with an HDMI extractor, but I don't know which onw

Ideally I want to keep everything on my desk, so get HDMI extractor and put it next to interface

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 09.25.16.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancreas which Genelec model are those? And what audio interface? (your screenshot from earlier shows an Ultralite mk5, but that looks like a Focusrite on your desk)

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

@Pancreas which Genelec model are those? And what audio interface? (your screenshot from earlier shows an Ultralite mk5, but that looks like a Focusrite on your desk)

This an older photo before I got the scarlett 18i8 which i returned and before the mk5

The one in photo is scarlett solo which i still have

I have genelec 8030c i need their stand but they’re $250 the pair lol

I dont want to pay that so im waiting for used ones to appear online

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancreas if you want to bypass your PC monitor's integrated DAC, then you could buy a JDS Atom DAC along with the UAC1 fallback cable. Then just plug it into your PS5 via USB.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

@Pancreas if you want to bypass your PC monitor's integrated DAC, then you could buy a JDS Atom DAC along with the UAC1 fallback cable. Then just plug it into your PS5 via USB.

I actually read bout that before during my research. How would it work tho?

I connect my ps5 to JDS atom via USB, and then what?

From its optical to my interface optical?

How does this method compare to using an HDMI extractor? I thought the USB from the ps5 audio is lower quality

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The PS5 as we know it supports only UAC1.0 (USB Audio Class 1.0), a standard dating back over 20 years. It's specifications are lower in bit and hz as compared to UAC2.0; modern DACs such as the ones from Schiit and others follow the newer specification. That's why they don't work on the PS5 through USB.

Although you can split the audio from HDMI and produce an optical/digital signal, you won't be able to use the 3D audio from the Tempest Engine as of now; it is only available through USB audio devices such as arctis 7p, the pulse 3d etc, which all use UAC1.0 and the controller.

To get your expensive DACs to work with the PS5, you need a UAC1.0 device that can OUTPUT Optical/Toslink or Coaxial Digital, and route that to your DAC. This way, the digital signal can pass through the the UAC1.0 device and enter your DAC without any alterations; though now your are limited to the specification of UAC1.0. This way you can use your own DAC/amp to power some high impedance headphones such as the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro. There is no way the DualSense can do this. Similarly, you can get your old Astro Mix amp working again.

with my current setup with the cable in the photo to my interface, I'm able to use the 3D audio on the ps5

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancreas do you want everything to go through your mk5 so that you can keep it plugged into the speakers?
I suppose you wouldn't like having to unplug the mk5 from your Genelecs and plugging in another source every time you want to use the PS5, right?

Top Bottom