• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don't manufacturers provide frequency response data to consumers?

PKAudio

One thing is showing measurements of golden sample, as represenstative of the product. I can imagine this will become more and more standard, if customers require that. Preparation of such a measurement is not easy, not all manufacturers have NFS to have presentable images in one day.

To show measurements of individual product is tricky, as already mentioned, most of the manufacturers likely make FR measurement as part of final QC, but such a measurement does not represent true anechoic measurement.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I've seen a couple posts in this thread saying something along the lines of: manufacturers would each have their own measurement sets, customers don't care, confusion, etc, etc.

Well, to that I say:
Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers (ANSI/CTA-2034-A R-2020)

After all, that is why the standard was invented. There are instructions on how to measure (both anechoically and non-anechoically). There are sections for max SPL, even.

*insert mic drop gif here* :p

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if you had adoption to a common measurement spec and manufacturers adhered to it, it still comes down to what benefits or problems does supplying more results yield?

For most manufacturers, if the effort does not yield a competitive benefit (or may have a negative outcome), there is simply no motivation for them to supply the data. :(

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the 80's there was a French speaker company named 3A that was providing an individual respons curve for each speaker.
Nowadays they do not exist anymore.
In fact they were providing a copy of the measurement of the first manufactured speaker (the prototype) in place of measuring each speaker as advertised.
I am not sure there is any use at getting the measurement of the gold sample unit: it is a guidance but the unit that we buy today may diverge after several years of production. Manufacturers are making all the time changes to the production units (i.e.: Denon with low performing capacitors as Amir prove it during his tests).
Only measurement Of a current unit can tell what we get.

i have a pair of 3a. I thought the graphs was the one for the respective pair. I will ask the son of the ex-owner. I think PSI is providing this service to their customer.

Top Bottom