• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring speaker output at multiple power levels

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mind giving me a quick analysis of this distortion data?

View attachment 284654
Not sure what to say. The distortion rises at low frequencies, which is typical for a woofer. Not knowing what car guys consider acceptable though, it's tough to judge. For me in my easy chair, 1% THD is pretty bad.

OP
C
Not sure what to say. The distortion rises at low frequencies, which is typical for a woofer. Not knowing what car guys consider acceptable though, it's tough to judge. For me in my easy chair, 1% THD is pretty bad.
To be honest, I have no Idea what I am looking at on this graph. I tried reading through the REW documentation on the distortion graph but got lost in the vocabulary.
I'm not sure how many people in my customer base will understand the distortion levels, so I don't know how much I would need to explain (or understand for that matter). I do think it is interesting that you theorized the coil was hitting the pole-piece. This is the kind of "high-level" knowledge I would like to gain.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, I have no Idea what I am looking at on this graph. I tried reading through the REW documentation on the distortion graph but got lost in the vocabulary.
I'm not sure how many people in my customer base will understand the distortion levels, so I don't know how much I would need to explain (or understand for that matter). I do think it is interesting that you theorized the coil was hitting the pole-piece. This is the kind of "high-level" knowledge I would like to gain.
Well, that makes a clicking noise, until you drive it even harder, then a machine-gun noise, then silence as the coil unwinds :D

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out Erin's Audio Corner reviews. He has multiple power levels measured, called compression tests.

His presentation is also well thought. Rather than stacking the SPL curves one on top of the other and letting the reader search for where it is higher or lower; instead he sets the 76 dB measurement as reference and 86, 96, 106 dB as a difference to the reference. Much easier to see where the drivers are compressing dynamics.

Btw this is a crucial test that I wish our host @amirm could add to his speakers reviews. After all if the speakers are linear in a low SPL does not necessarily mean it will remain composed in higher SPLs, and gives great insight where its limits are. SPL changing is probably more audible than the increase in THD (research needed).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @CustomSpeakerPods !

As a new member I thought I would point out some incredibly beneficial teaching/learning Videos created by our generous Host Amir. I think these videos are a great way to learn more about how to read and interpret all the test graphs and charts we use around here. Amir does a fantastic job of explaining the complex issues in a simple and straightforward manner. I hope these are helpful to you as they were to me and many others.

OP
C
After all if the speakers are linear in a low SPL does not necessarily mean it will remain composed in higher SPLs, and gives great insight where its limits are. SPL changing is probably more audible than the increase in THD (research needed).
This is exactly what I'm after!!! I don't want to recommend a speaker/amplifier combination based only on speaker manufacturers specifications. It is very possible that a speaker will sound terrible at the stated RMS value (some of the speakers I carry are rated for 600 Watts RMS, but no one has data of how that speaker performs with that power).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is exactly what I'm after!!! I don't want to recommend a speaker/amplifier combination based only on speaker manufacturers specifications. It is very possible that a speaker will sound terrible at the stated RMS value (some of the speakers I carry are rated for 600 Watts RMS, but no one has data of how that speaker performs with that power).
Enjoy.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of catching up for your to do. Better than Netflix! :D

Top Bottom