• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don't DACs have volume pots?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sorry to bring up an old thread...i have a Joying car headunit with a smsl su1 dac attatched and ive lost my ability to control the volume with the headunit hardware volume when the dac is attatched. Could i use this?
I don't think so. That unit connects to a computer and sends key press signals for volume up or down as you turn the knob.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Sorry to bring up an old thread...i have a Joying car headunit with a smsl su1 dac attatched and ive lost my ability to control the volume with the headunit hardware volume when the dac is attatched. Could i use this?
I do not know anything about those items but I doubt it. Do either have general purpose (not audio) USB inputs?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
people have heaps of experience with the Su-1

no one has any experience with the HU

here's what its supposed to look like

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
In which case it _might_ work, depending on what the manufacturer did in their Android build.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
my old tc electronic konnekt 24d had a potentiometer. it was a terrible experience. it would get noisier and noiser over the years. at some point when it got hot the left channel would bleed into the right one. there is a good reason those are not beeing used anymore.

HoweSound

I have a Leaf Audio Dac with volume knob and balanced outputs. Bought after reading the thread below - I think I paid $200 cdn:

I used it briefly - worked fine, but now it's relegated to shelfware; happily using the Eversolo DMP A6 as my streamer/file server dac.

Top Bottom