• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why don't DACs have volume pots?

strea

I want a DAC for my active studio monitors, but if you take a Schiit Bifrost for example.. it has no volume control? Why do I need an amp/DAC combo for volume control when my active monitors are already amplified on their own. The amp section is therefore wasted for my purpose, no?

What fundamental am I not understanding? Do I need to look for a DAC/preamp combo? I want a DAC for my studio monitors with a physical volume pot.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want a DAC for my active studio monitors, but if you take a Schiit Bifrost for example.. it has no volume control? Why do I need an amp/DAC combo for volume control when my active monitors are already amplified on their own. The amp section is therefore wasted for my purpose, no?

What fundamental am I not understanding? Do I need to look for a DAC/preamp combo? I want a DAC for my studio monitors with a physical volume pot.
Buy one that has a volume control. Not hard (RME and Topping here).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn your question around the other way. Why would a DAC have an analogue volume control?

You can add something like this to a DAC for volume control...

OP
strea

strea

Buy one that has a volume control. Not hard (RME and Topping here).
Yes, I originally had my eyes on the RME ADI-2 DAC, but I've read that when combining them with Genelec studio monitors, it's difficult to utilize RME to it's full potential without using attenuators. Note this conversation on RME forum (hopefully it is not against the rules to post other sites, I apologize if so).

OP
strea

strea

Turn your question around the other way. Why would a DAC have an analogue volume control?

You can add something like this to a DAC for volume control...

Thank you for your response. Although, as a noob, I'm not sure how this would all connect. The DAC goes USB to the PC, the XLRs go from the DAC -> Subwoofer -> Monitors. Where does the analogue volume control fit into the setup physically? Thank you.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I originally had my eyes on the RME ADI-2 DAC, but I've read that when combining them with Genelec studio monitors, it's difficult to utilize RME to it's full potential without using attenuators. Note this conversation on RME forum (hopefully it is not against the rules to post other sites, I apologize if so).

Benchmark dacs also have attenuation settings. You remove the cover and change jumpers.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

Right. I'm attenuating a bit in Roon to get to -15db but I think it's fine.

OP
strea

strea

Benchmark dacs also have attenuation settings. You remove the cover and change jumpers.
Do not think I would be comfortable tinkering with expensive equipment. More or less looking for something that is going to work "out of the box". I'm okay with adjusting settings in menus etc., but that's prob where I draw the line.

OP
strea

strea

Right. I'm attenuating a bit in Roon to get to -15db but I think it's fine.
Hmm I use JRiver, but doesn't the volume control in the PC get bypassed once connected to DAC anyways?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Hmm I use JRiver, but doesn't the volume control in the PC get bypassed once connected to DAC anyways?
I'm using Roon volume control not Windows mixer. Re your earlier reference there is no analog volume control only digital.

Last edited:
OP
strea

strea

I'm using Roon volume control not Windows mixer.
Understood. Must be different on my end. When I tell JRiver to connect directly to my current DAC/AMP (for headphones), it bypasses the JRiver and Windows control, only the volume pot on my amp has control over volume.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Understood. Must be different on my end. When I tell JRiver to connect directly to my current DAC/AMP (for headphones), it bypasses the JRiver and Windows control, only the volume pot on my amp has control over volume.
No longer familiar with JRiver settings but I'm sure someone here can advise.

OP
strea

strea

No longer familiar with JRiver settings but I'm sure someone here can advise.
At the end of the day, I'd like all my sources at 90-100% and control everything via physical knob. Just need to find a DAC that suits the purpose I suppose. Still researching..

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do not think I would be comfortable tinkering with expensive equipment. More or less looking for something that is going to work "out of the box". I'm okay with adjusting settings in menus etc., but that's prob where I draw the line.
I can understand that but in the manual benchmark advises to change the jumpers in certain situations and has photos showing the way to do it. Besides there is no reason it might not work out of the box. You were asking for certain criteria, good volume control via a physical knob and possible attenuation. Benchmark has both.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
At the end of the day, I'd like all my sources at 90-100% and control everything via physical knob. Just need to find a DAC that suits the purpose I suppose. Still researching..
Spoilt for choice if all you need is a volume knob. My Dx3Pro in the bedroom meets that bill with flying colors. Well amber.

OP
strea

strea

I can understand that but in the manual benchmark advises to change the jumpers in certain situations and has photos showing the way to do it. Besides there is no reason it might not work out of the box. You were asking for certain criteria, good volume control via a physical knob and possible attenuation. Benchmark has both.
Yes, they look like they start at 2.1K though, that's a bit out of my price range. Was looking more towards 1K or lower. Appreciate your info though.

OP
strea

strea

Spoilt for choice if all you need is a volume knob. My Dx3Pro in the bedroom meets that bill with flying colors. Well amber.
Think I need XLR connections as well. The subwoofer only accepts XLR and monitors only accept XLR, might as well go full balanced connects.

Top Bottom