• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who's the Nightlord then?

Nightlord

Nightlord, Nattlorden in Swedish, is a cheerful engineer (M.Sc. Computer Science & Engineering) from southern Sweden.

[The early years]

Last time I wrote a presentation such as this I wrote "My Hifi-interest started in college - about the time when I stated buying a little more records.", but that's a partial truth.
My first contact with hifi is through the DIY-world, when I help my father prime his home builds (more about this below) and at that point I was as short as they were tall - so I would have been 3-4 years old. There's evidence of this if my parents super-8 rolls are still alive. I learned quite early to play on dad's stereo, at first only the cassette deck but later also vinyl (a fully automatic Dual is a great thing when you're little!). Know I already then had ideas on how I wanted sound to be, as I know I was moving bass/treble slides and Dolby buttons for different music. In principle I grew up on ABBA, Elvis & Frank Sinatra as that was the best parts of my parents' records.

Later on I got my own little travel vinyl player in red plastic and my own first single that wasn't a kids' record was something I'd heard at the neighbour kid's (10 years my senior) place: Sweet - Fox on the run

icon_mrgreen.gif

[School Days]

The music interest got stared more seriously in 7th grade when I started listening to metal; Accept, Black Sabbath, Helloween and such, but the session as a metalhead got cut short as with the next year came Alphaville's "Sounds like a melody" and turned everything upside down. Somewhere at this point I got a stereo-rack (Sanyo) for Christmas present that my Dad imported from Holland - with a "first generation" CD-player (16-bit, no oversampling). This actually wasn't integrated with the rest but a late addition in the same design that they'd rushed out. I remember going to the music shop to buy my first CD and the store had two (2) of them. Fortunately one of them was something I wanted: Thompson Twins. Don't mess with Doctor Dream o-o-o-o-AH o-o o-AH... After having fiddled around with the speakers belonging to the kid and a pair of Dad's old 70's radio speakers in all kind of strange set-ups for a year of so, Dad suggested we'd build the same kind of Michelson Voight-horns as he had. First iteration of these had a Forstex broadband element crossed to a tiny tweeter very high in frequency, probably up around 7kHz.

What transpired was of course that the Sanyo-amp didn't sound very great with these speakers so a while later it was back to the store and buy a real integrated amp, an NAD 3100PE. ( I actually wanted the 3400, but there were limits to what my parents' would agree to. ) A big improvement of course and then later the CD-player and cassette-deck got the similar upgrade. ( The financing of this is quite a fun story that I may write later on ). Back at square one having gone around the block, the speaker elements had to go and was replaced with a Seas woofer and a Vifa tweeter. Kept the horns for a long time, but when I started on my cinema and there where no one in the used gear market that wanted then, they finally went to the dump site. Had some fun idea to try a Manger element in them, but that won't ever happen now.

[1995 - out in the employed world]

Well, back on track: during the time passed I've finished University and started working.. And arrived in the 3rd largest town in Sweden with all it's hifi-stores. One was rather new and had inherited the stock of the previous owner and they had some odd flat speakers in the innermost room that I eventually had the guts to ask to listen too and the session with Maggies ( MG1.4 ) with Acurus electronics soon had me hooked. After saving some money and haggling quite a lot I got the for about $500 (which actually was less than I sold them for quite a few years later).

About the same time I read about NHT SuperZero in Stereophile and had a local store to get a pair for me. Used these and the maggies interleaved before bringing them to work as comp speakers where I got the store more customers by arranging a group buy. I myself got three more for home theatre plus an NHT sub. ( Much later on I got two more on the used market for 7.1 HT )

In the end, the Sunfire proved troublesome blowing up on me twice and tripping the breakers quite a lot more. Don't think it was designed to be turned off actually. After the final repair a friend in need of extreme power at low impedances bought it and kept it running and it has been trouble free since... ( If I remember correctly his speakers were a pair of large REL Studio 1 or 2. )

After spending many hours listening for a replacement I went for the Holfi Power-8, which I today can say is the most colours amp I've ever had, but my taste was different back then. I also got myself a locally built very low noice preamp - probably just as good as the one I use today, but it did not amplify the signal enough for today's use, but I run it as a headphone amp at work. The designer of the preamp also had a Pio PD-S-06 for sale which had gotten rave magazine reviews and I think an EISA-award too, so I picket that up a while later when I got a slight tweak of my own thinking done to the preamp.

[2000]

Started thinking I heard a noise from one of the Maggies now and then and the hunt for a replacement began. Audiovector was a contender. Von Schweikert had been a favorite, but the company ( VSR ) went belly-up due to water damage at the factory... Today he's back with a new company, so perhaps one should've dared... Marten Design was a new interesting upstart... but when I heard the Canton Digital 1.1 I was sold. A bit much for my budget after having built a house with my girlfriend of the time and then separated. Cost-wise a disaster, but I had no issue rearranging the living-room to give them the best placement.

I did believe there was more to extract... Some more power for dynamics... Upsampling dac for more details... Better cable... Cleaner power. Things I thought of as possible improvements, but not of any great importance, more of something that could be done if I ran into a good deal some day. Put my money into my whisky collection instead...

[Autumn of 2003]

Somewhere around here I found my main forum on the net. Had been in the hot air at another forum before that shut down and then I took a break. I have always been opinionated and a strong debater ( and with a relentless drive to teach ), but I knew less back then in several ways, so I definitely had my fights and really hadn't started questioning the validity of what was written in the hifi magazines.

The turning point for me was a thread regarding how much power you actually need to reproduce a dynamic transient in the music. It struck me that what my ears thought to be excessive volume could be the amp running out of power instead. The math is easy and that my 100W amp wasn't enough was glaringly obvious. But it had to be tested of course.

GamuT D-200 was an alternative with twice the power and that had always performed well wherever I'd heard it, but it was very expensive. On the forum NAD 208 was a heated topic, but they didn't make it any more, nor the 218. S200 was still around and reported to be identical to 218 and also to a Gryphon(!) model. Local store had one to borrow, but told me it was also on it's way out. Brought one home to try and the hypothesis seemed to hold... Ears didn't "ring" when the volume was turned up. The amp was mostly fine, but sounded a bit synthetic on some instruments (compared to the colored Holfi), so I didn't buy it, but the lesson had been learned. The calculations also pointed to 200W not being enough, rather you needed a lot more...

[Early 2004]

After harbouring these thoughts for a while... And additional reads on the forum about the NAD 208... I decided to try and get one. It seems without risk as there would be people queueing to take it off my hands if I didn't like it. Having made up my mind, it wasn't so hard. One guy managed to find two and indicated he only needed one, so I made him an offer he couldn't refuse - and I had my 208.

My fears about it - as I had once heard it and labelled it as "ice cold" - did not have any merit. Either my taste had changed or something else had been wrong that time, because the amp was absolutely wonderful.
And if this much power had this result, how would two bridged ones be? So on with the hunter's cap again and with some time and effort I could find another.

Then I also had a fun visit from some forum guys that wrote a short article on the visit. :)

Now I was having fun hunting gear, and the same people who had been talking about the 208 were also talking about an old Swedish preamp named Sentec SC-9, so I got one of them too.
sc9.JPG

The difference was hair thin this time. It had more amplification, so I could play louder using it and that's what kept in in my set-up.

Also found the two used NHT SuperZeroes. Didn't have a home theatre amp that could do 7.1 at the time, but planned getting one later so best pick the speakers when the opportunity arose...

[November 2004]
Three quarter of a year later, there's a Pioneer demo day and it didn't turn out better than blowing that month's salary...

That I was to go to 7.1 in the home theatre had only been a question of time and now it became a Pioneer VSX-2014i Silver. My old crappy H/K DVD-player had not been behaving well lately so I took a Pioneer DV668-AV-S as well. Which also was a top ranked machine on the forum - as a CD-player(!). Tested it in the stereo before it was off to film duty and it had quite another calm and control. Pity it wasn't to be used there.

Around here I also decided to try building a pair of Ino piP from a kit. Didn't know anything about them and actually I had had quite a few heated debates with their designer on the forums before. Normally you have to go to Stockholm for a demo before buying them, but I found myself a 'pimp'. I needed a project and if nothing else, they could be used with the computer, they weren't more expensive than I could risk it ($4-500).

byggsats_small.jpg

Not thinking that highly of them, I didn't do any major job in design, so I just painted them in a kind of british racing green, now also known as 'Nightlord Green'.

What happened was that which wasn't supposed to happen. My chin had to be picked up from the floor as these miniscule boxes played just as well as the twelve times more expensive Canton Digitals. Not straight away, but once the harshness of the tweeter had disappeared.

david_goliat_small.jpg

Used them side by side for a longer period and the Cantons turned more into audience for every day. No one visiting ever thought the small ones were playing though, they all "knew" it had to be the big ones.

[Summer 2005]

On the forum there's a topic started about a group buy of NHT 1259-(sub)woofers, so I start reading up on the LTS bass modules designed around them. I realize it's not such a big chance I will tuck myself into a car and drive to Stockholm a couple of times to buy my otherwise preferred Ino bass modules, so this felt like a budget version as the LTS dimensioning also was done by Ingvar Öhman of Ino. The price on the woofers got good as we were many interested and I had just enough money on the bank to do something a bit bigger. The build article about the B4 model sounded good, so getting 8 elements felt good. Overkill is always fun... exemplary low distortion with so many element, possibility to go for closed cabinets and in there... only pluses in my book. The minus what that someone tried stealing my car so it ended up in the workshop for a month just at this time. Made up my mind in the nick of time and the elements were to be picked up in Gothenburg the 11th of July. Manage to pick an overcast day to drive up so I didn't boil them going back in my then "Sauna-auto" (no AC).

baskartonger.jpg

...a nice little head of speaker elements...

Then I had to get hold of MDF. I calculated different combinations and also tested what it would be in one inch MDF. Since I wanted full ceiling height on 4 boxes, then the height of them should be just shy of 2 feet. The width I kept as in the build article and then it turned out with nice even measurement in 1". Internal volume got .2 litres bigger, but with some stiffeners inside it ought to be the same. Thanks to a friend I got the MDF pre-cut at a quite ok price and later on the fall I tested the car suspension to it's fullest picking it up.

MDFheap.jpg

...The I had a long period of illness, I probably bore the first signs of mononucleosis when I brought them home. Then a stomach flu and the year about ended before I got any further...

[December 2005]

Found an add on a NAD 218 and the guy was within driving distance, so I decided to go check it out and not risk shipping it. I had recently got a new car, so it was nice with a little longer drive too. Increased my focus on used gear ads to find a second one as well.

[January 2006]

Started at full speed going out to buy all the equipment I needed to build the boxes and started the day after. The cabinets too a month and then it was into the putty marshes...

[March 2006]

Caught a 2nd NAD 218 through the forum which arrived in the middle of the month in a GIGANTIC box with UPS. Hooked it up to the Canton Digitals and played both Yello and Bo Linde with a big smile. Couldn't find the issue I've previously written about the S200. Marginal difference between the models, or had I grown accustomed to a different kind of sound now?

[June 2006]

Time to bring in the first bass modules... Of course there was trouble at once, both power and antenna outlets of course hard to be where the basses were going.

Well, they aren't leaving so I just cut the drywall and extended the cables...
h_inlyft.jpg

The bass was deep, dry and very detailed. And this from the first pair?? I could have lived happily with the two, but it was extra fun to know there were 6 "overkill-boxes" going in on top of them.

I got three stories up before the project ground to a halt. Perhaps to some degree that the sound with six modules were amazing and the difference going from four to six hadn't been very dramatic. Another reason was that the last two were the first two I made and they weren't as good as the rest so they would need a lot of grinding before painting them.

[June 2007]

One channel in one of the 218:s have gone. Went to the local NAD representative and had it sent for reairs. Had been thinking to start up with the last two modules, but that motivation was therefore lost. Have put up a fence across the living room to keep small kids fingers away. It could have been our son's fascination with the on/off button that broke it. Have started using Squeezebox and got quite addicted to it.

[January 2008]

Long weekend of building at home, had found a TV bench I could use. Assembled that and put the cables in the tv-room into cable channels.

It was good to have this done, don't want to know how long there had been cables around, but when all things aren't in place it can be hard to get motivated.

Tvbnch008_small.jpg

[June 2008]

Got the garage cleaned out from a few things not supposed to be there, then I realized it wasn't one but two years the boxes had been sitting there so I went at them.
On the 29th the family was out so I rolled them in and then called Dad to help me with "the Big Lift" (that didn't turn out as tough as I'd figured).

P_PlatsV_nster.jpg

The listening impression was good and positive - but the best win this time was that the two bass amps now ran with identical loads. Unstrained bass reproduction would probably a good way to put it.

[ Spring/Summer 2009 ]

World financial crisis... and hit the plasma-TV department of Pioneer hard. The awaited 10th gen plasma won't go into production. As I can't see anything getting close to Pioneer in any foreseeable future I rushed to buy a 50" G9 while I still could.
plasma_small.jpg

The image is, as expected, sensational. And then it has to be run a few hundred hours before it can be calibrated... and then the autumn darkness will be here for better possibilities to do so. The most sensational is probably that it copes well with old VHS-tapes. Most flatsceens suck XXXXXXXXX on antenna signals.

If all goes well, this TV will get me through to the next paradigm shift... 3D-tv or video wall... whatever gets here first...

[Summer/late summer 2010]

The children have used the old Xbox to watch DVDs through and finally it gave up, timing rather good as the day before I saw a 668 on the used market.

Another thing that broke was one of the tweeters in the piP:s, of course discovered during a demo. Post office manage to misplace the return (got it returned to me 2 years later!!) but Ingvar took my word for it and sent me a new one anyway. :D

Had a bad period here - also my Xbox 360 and the heat-sensor on my bathtub broke.

On the other had, that had saved me some luck for later when a fellow member at 'my' Swedish forum put up his non-assembled Ino system for sale and I acted fast enough.
I finished the 6 a2 surround speakers first, but the didn't at this point get their proper placement.
Precisely at the end of September I had also the i28:s ready
i28_small.jpg

Another good thing that happened was that I finally had the ISF-calibration done on the TV. My verdict is... if you get an advanced TV or PJ - take the cost to have a pro calibrate it for you, it's worth it!

[Autumn 2010]

During the autumn I managed to get hold of an Infra plug-in card for the bass module crossover and then I finally got the ULF boosted so I finally found out what the basses can do. Extremely cool! Now the limitation is moved to the house... how much vibrations I dare give it before something breaks...

[Christmas 2011]
Strange rerun... The guy I bought the big kit from had bought a pair on unique pi60s in stone (later getting the official branding pi60s-s, as you can now order this form of cabinet directly from Ino Audio - same man making them of course) but due to financial reasons he had to part from them again. Having met the stone-man myself and learned what a thoroughly decent and infinitely likeable guy he is, I was a bit sad to see them embark onto the used market and possibly end up some unknown place where we never hear from again. It made me very uncomfortable. Didn't have a place to use them myself, but to put them in the office, so I decided to go for it and a snowy Christmas day we moved them to my office. Bought the whole kit too - a Rotel 1090 and a Holographic PRE-25 preamp. I think I sold stocks at a peak, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have. But this is a once-a-lifetime thing to do... something you just have to do... almost as if guided...

[Spring 2011]
Had good success in adding to the home theater in the TV room, first I found a single iP to run as center and then an additional two a2 to complete the surround to a 3+1+1+3 setup.

Borrowed an XTZ measurement kit and have measured and tuned the cr80s and Infra filters to get better curves. It's definitely not easy. Tried bringing in some insulation and putting here and there temporarily, but really saw no changes in the curves from that.

[Summer 2011]
Having had some off problems with the receiver over a few years every time it's been totally without power then it finally didn't start even if I had it powerless for two weeks - 3-4 days had been enough previously. Spent some weeks surfing on the latest greatest and then tried four candidates at home(Marantz, Integra, Denon & Pioneer) and in the end, for cleverness and budget, a Pioneer LX-72.
The alternative in Denon 4311 had apart from it's double price also brought with it buying an Audyssey Pro-kit and then try to get some special speakers mad for full 11.2, so much better to stay at 7.1. ( Must've been ill... was doing rational thinking about this. ;) )

[Late summer/Autumn 2011]
Having given the TV room a substantial list in speakers and amplification and I had the elements for four Ino bass modules lying around in the garage (came in the i28/a2-purchase) it was time to do something about it. The biggest challenge was milling the element flat to the baffels, so I ended up having to import some jigs across the Atlantic.

Have also finally after a number of years built proper dampening walls in the living room.
staketbort.jpg

[January 2012]

It's been decided at the office that we are to cut down on square feet per person and being proactive, I opted to bring home the pi60s-s as soon as possible. The previous owner being a good comrade helped me bring them home - they do weigh 230 pounds each. So the i28:s had to move. If you know the speaker range, this would seem an odd move, as the i-series is generally upgraded to when going for top/bass module separation instead of a full range speaker like the pi:s are. It is a signature model so the tweeter in pi60s-s is better than the i28 has and the distance to listening actually works better with the slightly wider radiation pattern of pi60s-s.
Being a full range model makes it a bit better to play with in the evenings when the kids are sleaping and flip the switch on the filter to fullrange fronts instead of top/bass.

bothers.jpg

...here's a pic before the pi60s-s was moved into position, so you can see the familiarities in the models...

Here's a little XTZ-measurement:
pi60s-s_utan_med_basar.PNG

Top curve is pi60s-s alone, bottom curve is with bass modules handling sub-80Hz.

( If might be seen as bass heavy, but given the layout of my room, that's not how it's experienced by me, or anyone else having been here. )

[Late winter/spring 2012]

With the success of implementing the pi60s-s, I did something very uncharacteristic, I sold the i28:s on. To a forum comrade, which made it mentally easier to let them go. He needed an upgrade from his Beveridges, so they did the trick very well - he can now play at the volumes overall which his IBs likes to be at. :cool:

I also had a "Feelgood" party, music, people bringing old or DIY speakers along, some good food (my Chili) and good beverages and so on, very successful methinks.

[March 2012]

During the spring when I - once again - went at trying to make the storage/workshop/wine-cellar into something else than overcrowded storage that really wasn't much to use for anything, I had an epiphany.

I said to myself... "all this things we didn't want in the house, will we be using it again, or here? If not, then why not throw some away?" Then I looked at the stacks of "good to have stuff" and thought... "this I put away when the house was built 12 years ago.... it hasn't been used yet, will it?".... Then I looked at my tools and thought about how often most of it was really used... like once every four years... "why do it need easy-accessible shelf space, it can go near the attic hatch just as well"....

All this thought... I imagined getting rid of it/moving it... and what was left? Workbench, bicycles, wine & whisky, lawnmower and fertilizer and the most commonly used tools.... and a lot of empty space.

Light concrete walls, solid floor, no windows.... Can be pressurized, surrounds can go where they need to, projector too, wife won't mind the carpet here.... this can be a cinema. Or it will get filled up with more junk again until next time I get fed up and throw a bunch away... again... again...

Now... there's nothing saying that mid-life crisis can't be applied to this. My wife so much prefer a theatre to me leaving her for someone half he age or get myself a Corvette or a Harley... (transposed for you Americans, I would be choosing non-american vehicles for sure :cool:)

What also happened at the same time was that I found an add on a large speaker system;same brand, bigger signature brother of the i28:s combined with six bass modules of the sealed enclosure type called "infra" that is to be used with the same electronic bass lift circuit to increase capability in the extreme lower range as I have in the living-room. It's also in my book the best looking speaker shape wise Ino makes.
SOTTC.jpg

The 1970s jacaranda veneer doesn't make that any worse either. :D

It was a big investment... this is not a cheap system, but it has capacity well beyond reference level and with those bass modules and that room, it could go very low...

Felt just a little stupid realizing I could have put the i28:s to use about a month after selling them, but moving up to i32s:s does not sadden me the slightest. :p

The basic floorplan for what was doing was like this:
Floorplan_simple.jpg

The inner dimensions was 14 2/3 by 26 2/3 feet in total, but it's been decided/designed to just use 18 feet for the cinema and the rest for a sound-dampening back wall and storage/machinist room. Later changes to soundproofing would steal some of those dimensions.

[April 2012]
Took the opportunity to book in an acoustics consultancy by Ingvar Öhman when he was on his way southwards for a convension anyway, so I could have a basic plan to work with. Unfortunately I probably fooled him about the material used in the walls, so soundproofing didn't become as big a topic as it should have been.

[Summer/autumn 2012]
Build progressing accoring to plan. Manage on two separate occassions to buy four Ino Audio ambiens2 speakers, so with eight that part was solved. Also manage to find a dirt cheap grey 100" screen on the used market and a PJ that was back on the market after warranty repairs... so now I could finish a PJ-shelf in the back wall too.

[December 2012]
Had a sneak premier - saw Tintin with the family. More than happy about all. Expecting to go on with carpet, drapes and do something about flutter echoes in the rear, but before that I do some tests on the bass capacity by running War of the Worlds pretty loud. Back in the kitchen afterwards, the neighbour calls and wonders worriedly if I'd played something as it sounded terribly in their house. Conclusion is that the house leaks too much sound and that it needs a fundemental rebuild if it's to be possible to use it late evening at power levels... With a lesser setup I might've been content at just running at family levels, but these speakers deserve better, so it's just to put the crowbar to the walls come spring.
We still see a number of movies before then... Voices are sensational from the i32s:s and feel no need for a center channel, but will be looking for ONE i16s in any case, if possible to find.

[April 2013]
Starting the teardown now that the winter have broken - don't want to chill down the house too much.
Will be a run against the clock to get it insulated again before next winter, so only doing half at a time:
season2013.png

Besides the expanded clay blocks themselves, another apparent issue:
20130427.jpg

[Summer 2013]
Teardown has progressed into a hell of a lot of parging (a thin coat of plaster or mortar for giving a relatively smooth surface to rough masonry or for sealing it against moisture.) Also managed to complete tht speaker setup - a single i16s for center, but also a pair of Carlsson OA52 for front wides - if I'm to have any and a small flock (4st) Ino ambiens1 to experiment with:
NESsmall.jpg

( Probably not aware of Dolby Atmos at this time, I was probably looking to implement Audyssey DSX at this time )

[August 2013]
All the parging done for now, starting to erect the new, free standing inner walls.
20130807_2.jpg

The first new ceiling beams going up at the end of the month (glulam to keep dimensions down):
20130831.jpg

Some visualization being done as well in parallell with the build to make sure I was thinking right:
cc60.jpg

Allspeakers.jpg

The Art Deco surround stands were a nice idea, but got dropped later on.

[September 2013]
New inner walls coming up now. One layer of floor board and two layers of drywall with green glue inbetween. Wasn't sure if that really had an effect, but did not care to end up with a new build that still wasn't soundproofed and then thinking to myself "what if I had used green glue?", so it had to be.
20130924.jpg

Building my own drywall lift instead of renting one:
avs34.jpg

[October 2013]
Walls and ceiling done and speakers brought forth to pose. Did some testing to hear from the outside what effect the partial build had had.
20131013.jpg

[December 2013]
Painting walls and ceiling and building diffusers over winter "break"... yeah also on a day like this one...
20131225.jpg

[March 2014]
Spring came early, so put down protective plastic on the floor in preparation for 2nd half teardown.

[Mid May 2014]
Inner wall done here too and drywall on the bottom of next floor up
20140515_2.jpg

[End of August 2014]
avs96.jpg

Diffusion on the ceiling, wall diffusers upp and painted, surround speakers back up, carpet put in and drapes hung. Daughter with two friends get sneak premier#2 on part one of the Lord of the Rings (Extended).

[September 2014]
Some work being done with mood lighting, red lamps DIYed with LED-tape, being just white in original.
lamp6.jpg

also a quick and dirty sweep (both channels running, so some unnecessary comb-filtering seen)
Cinema_front_dual_channels.jpg

[January 2015]
Manage to get myself a used Seymour AV Centerstage XD-duk on an add. Quite a drive, so not picking it up until later.

[March 2015]
Screen fabric picked up - total driving distance 550 kilometers. Still way cheaper than importing one from Seymour.

[April 2015]
Built myself a frame for it - used aluminum profiles to get the weight down so it could be folded up towards the ceiling when need arises.

[September 2015]
After watching Interstellar I went another round with the calibration... and it ended with the odd result that the DSPeaker DualMode 2.0 went out of the system totally, from the simple reason that it was effecting signal quality even in such a simple use case as being in "off" position. Given the lift I have in the cr80es filter, there was no option of using it that late in the chain. Possibly I can use it in the tv room where there is a more suitable situation to try that.

[November 2015]
Old equipment stand started getting too heavy to pull in and out when changing something, so I deceided to build my own rack on wheels based on an IKEA kitchen cabinet.
rack14.jpg

Quite pleased and I added five silent running Noctua fans with fan control later on to make it even better.

[December 2015]
Made some simple masking for the screen (16:9 format)
result.jpg

Tip: never thing "it cannot make much difference"... It do!

Last edited:
OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

[September 2016]
Did something a bit odd... I actually bought myself a vinyl player... haven't had one for decades and I really don't have a vinyl collection either. But I'm getting bored with new releases that are compressed to death on CD and much better in that respect on vinyl... Stupidity's triumph over technology... In any case, this is a fun odd player that is seldom found, so I went for it...
vinyl1small.jpg

[November 2016]
Have had to get one of my Rotel 1090:s in for service - it's know to be a big fragile in the soft-start due to a bit stupid construction. Got feedback from a few people I really trust that I should be swapping the NAD 208 from my stereo out for this one instead of using it for cinema center channel and I actually went for that. Will swap the temporary center amp out for the 208 at some future point, it's been behaving just fine actually. ;)

[December 2016]
Finally got fed up with using temporary main lighting, so I threw that out and put up some LED tubes.

First a little peak behind the screen while up:
peekbelow.jpg

Led tubes added behind the screen supports
LEDrods.jpg

Now I can show off the speakers without lifting the screen
seethrough.jpg

Also put some in the rear
bakbelysning.jpg

Mood picture (bonus points for identifying the movie ;) )
whatmovie.jpg

Pretty decent likeness with prior visualisation (without center rendered), I think, even if the lighting turned out differently.
443992.jpg

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow. What detailed and great write up Nightlord! It is great to "see" you again and catch up on what you have done since we last were in the same place. It is wonderful to have such a diary.

We have some things in common as you know like that stereophile NHT review. To this date it powers my workstation with its sub. Great $1,000 spent on that system.

And congrats on the new theater! Mine is in ruins with just seats in there. I have not had the time to do much with it nor do we spend time in it.

For the rest for the rest of the members, Nightlord and I met on AVS Forum. He, Ray and a few others were the voices of reason when it came to objective and science based discussion of audio. It was also great to have a native speaker back my explanation of swedish LTS audio tests.

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Thanks. It is an evolution post... I get reminded to add to it each time I need to do a new presentation and sometimes I remember to go back and update too. I don't keep a normal diary, so forum posts have been a good reminder on many occassions....

Didn't have space to keep the NHT sub, and it was 'only' the 10" one. My green livingroom subwoofer towers with NHT 1259 drivers are performing at a level where I don't have any plans to change to Ino Audio bass modules. Is it the 12" one you've got?

I am an LTS member, so I get the magazine and mails, but I'm unfortunately in the wrong part of the country for joining the test panel, and not in an economy lending itself to hopping on airplanes on a whim. Otherwise I'm certain I'd offered an extra pair of ears. Though I'm relatively certain I'd have to dismiss myself on not reaching the detection levels the rest of them do. ;)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this very detailed and interesting story about your life in audio, Nattlorden!

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Awesome write-up Nightlord! Thanks so much for this extremely detailed contribution to the forum. Sets a very high bar for anyone else.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had no idea what I was getting into when I started reading your story...and I enjoyed it very much, thanks dude.

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Thanks guys. Hope it won't stump anyone from writing their own in whatever style or length they want... that was not the intention at all.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, what calculations did you do to arrive at power requirements for an amp? I'm debating with myself how much power I really need for woofers of 86 dB sensitivity. Baseline listening level mostly between 68 and 75 dB, with lots of dynamic classical recordings.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Well, we need two more specs... exactly how dynamic material you want to handle without clipping and how far from the speakers you sit. But if we base it on two speakers +4dB (theoretical max +6dB, +4dB is more what you really get) and -10dB for listening at 3m (10feet) we do it like this:
1W - 86+4-10=80dB
2W - 83dB
4W - 86dB
8W - 89dB
16W -92dB
32W -95dB
64W -98dB
128W- 101dB
256W-104dB
512W- 107dB
1024W -110dB
2048W- 113dB
If we stab at a quite high dynamic range say 26dB peaks above average level, you'll need (75+26=101) 128W. In general I recommend people 200W as a minimum (8-ohm watts).

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

@RayDunzl - it's easier to get the crest factor by running the music through an analyzer on the computer than trying to measure it. The shorter the peaks, the more difficult it is for the SPL meter, but if you do it on the actual media, you won't miss it.

LTS has a free program for music analysis which you can find here: http://lts.a.se/lts/masvis
The purpose of it is really to see how badly it's been mastered, but the crest factor is part of the data you get.

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Thanks guys! That's more or less in line with what I thought.

Most welcome. In your case, the fact that you don't play any louder kept it quite reasonable. Myself, I like on occasion to average 95dB rather... what partially saves me is more efficient speakers and the kind of music I play then seldom reaches more than 20dB crest... on the downside is that it's 4-ohm speakers, though... Had I wanted to do it on your system (based on my distance guess), you'd needed in excess of 2kW for it... ( I'd recommend a pair of O&G Engineering RS2000 for that in such a case :D )

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
it's easier to get the crest factor by running the music through an analyzer on the computer than trying to measure it. The shorter the peaks, the more difficult it is for the SPL meter, but if you do it on the actual media, you won't miss it.

That's true, but my use of Room EQ Wizard with a UMIK-1 as a measurement mic makes me think it is pretty accurate with its measurements and analyses.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most welcome. In your case, the fact that you don't play any louder kept it quite reasonable. Myself, I like on occasion to average 95dB rather... what partially saves me is more efficient speakers and the kind of music I play then seldom reaches more than 20dB crest... on the downside is that it's 4-ohm speakers, though... Had I wanted to do it on your system (based on my distance guess), you'd needed in excess of 2kW for it... ( I'd recommend a pair of O&G Engineering RS2000 for that in such a case :D )

I also like my occasional headbanging... but I have experienced getting temporary tinnitus after concerts etc, and I'm terrified of getting it for good. So that's why I stay at moderate listening levels. I find that it helps a lot to have speakers with exceptional clarity and low distortion - then the music stays interesting even at lower levels. Judicious use of tone controls to compensate for the equal loudness contour thing also helps a lot.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One issue with using the efficiency number of the speaker is that there is no standard for measuring it. It is a marketing number so speaker companies often do anything they can to up it. It for example may be measured at one frequency. Since maximum amount of energy is usually in bass frequencies, that is the number you want but it is rarely if ever, given. Here is a quick random spectrum of a Reference Recording track:

upload_2017-3-16_9-49-34.png

My solution is subjective in that I play very bass heavy music and keep turning up the volume and pay attention to bass. If it stays the same and keeps getting louder, all is well. If it changes tonally or its impact softens, then I have hit the limit. This is sighted and subjective it can be error prone. So my solution is to get far more power than I think I need and be done with it. :) Then I know the speaker won't be the limiting factor and the investment will last a long time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-16_9-48-32.png
    upload_2017-3-16_9-48-32.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 201
OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Well, in my setups it's not the bass I pay attention to really, it's when I get to worried about it damaging the house. I really don't want to be playing at Xmax, much less Xmech. So, I'm happily overdimensioned and needn't worry about anymore. Only reason why I could imagine an even larger bass rig would be to push distortion even lower.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom