• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who's the Nightlord then?

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Water radiators, bathroom door and the handrail to the upper floor can all be put into resonance to quite a degree and also the inner ceiling can give off worrying noises on occasion.

In the cinema, it's mostly the wall lamps that will start to play along on severe bass tracks.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Water radiators, bathroom door and the handrail to the upper floor can all be put into resonance to quite a degree and also the inner ceiling can give off worrying noises on occasion.

In the cinema, it's mostly the wall lamps that will start to play along on severe bass tracks.
I don't doubt any of it, your woofer systems appear able to move some serious air.
Sounds like fun!

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

I don't doubt any of it, your woofer systems appear able to move some serious air.
Sounds like fun!

:)

Around 12 liters I think I counted it to once, not going to do it again at the moment, so I won't state it as a fact.

Our third setup for the tv is smaller though, only 4 ported bass-modules with 10" drivers there. Still the one getting most usage. *L*

Same surround speaker setup as the cinema, though:
407340.jpg

Here's one of the bass-modules, Ino Audio profundus-X:
profX1.JPG

(earlier placement, amp is in the cabinet and modules are stacked 2 high there)

As probably guessed by the finish, this is a DIY-kit version, so I made the cabinet myself, here's a peek inside from the build:
stuffcube.jpg

(unusually tidy cross brace for being me(!), I generally do them a bit more sloppy as they won't be seen anyway...)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
(unusually tidy cross brace for being me(!), I generally do them a bit more sloppy as they won't be seen anyway...)
Very nice woodworking.
For me I can machine metals to within .0001", but can't ever seem to cut a piece to wood to within 1/8" LOL

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

I know that close to no-one here would know anything about my main speakers, Ino Audio pi60s-s, so I think they deserve a little presentation.

Ino Audio is a cellar company in Stockholm, Sweden, that has been making speakers in small scale for a long time. It was started as a private psycho-acoustic research institute, but the participating listeners started bringing their own music along for the breaks to play on the research speakers and then they started asking to buy a pair for home... and it slowly evolved into a small company in 1984.

1977 pre-test version
pi60_1977.jpg

But it already had the cabinet shape in place in 1978:
Ino_pi60_78.JPG

Only physical shape change done since, as far as I know, is that the port placement was moved. Speaker elements have been changed and improved since, for a long time now Ino Audio has been designing their own speakers, sourcing useful parts from different places and having them made for them when nothing appropriate could be aquired. Ino Audio was as far as I know the first brand to use titanium voicecoil formers, which at that time had to be acquired in the Soviet union... Today all assembly of Ino Audio elements is made by Scanspeak, Denmark.

Given the extremely limited production capacity, there's never been done anything to please customers that goes against how Ingvar Öhman wants them himself, therefore all models are voiced as closely to each other as possible, with pi60s as the reference. Reasons for going for other models are purely based on other parameters such as size, placement possibilities, capacity limits and cost. But you never need to worry about the sonic character when changing models, but of course the smaller they are, the more limitations they have.

Enough "2nd hand marketing"...

pi denotes it being fullrange, 60 is the cabinet volume and s is for signature.

Mine are pi60s-s with the last suffix was the meaning "stone". There are two such speakers in existence, the one I have and a different model i68es-s, both having the cabinet made by stone "artist" Mikael Sjölund aka "Komorok". The model did not exist prior as the cabinet was privately made to go with the official DIY-kit (where you get a pre-built but not necessarily finished, laminated, MDF-cabinet normally ), but was adopted into the model line and christened once they were completed and officially tested. I'd be quite surprised if another pair will ever be made, though.

The stone they are built in are Madagascar Green, which is a Labradorite, and Nero Assoluto which is granite. They are sandwiched internally- laminated with the same dampening glue as the regular signature model is.

Some pics from the construction, taken by Komorok himself:
DSC00623.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

Murphy won't let a project like this go unpunished, so it turned out that the measurements for the port had become wrong, exactly how I don't know. But Komorok isn't one to give up, so pieces of the right size was taken out and turned - yielding a design feature that most likely won't even be repeated in the process.
Personally I think it just lends extra character breaking the surface up a bit. :)

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

CIMG1590.jpg

Here's the amazing stone artist celebrating them back in 2009:
Komorok.jpg

He later went on to sell them and embark on building the largest model in the Ino series...
20110318182.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

Looks may be deceiving, but this model is just a "top", not a full range speaker... for use above an 80-Hz crossover. They weigh in at a quarter ton, while mine just an eighth of a ton. ;)

Myself, I still run mine part of the time as tops too, but it's an easy flip of a switch on the active crossover to run them full range.
inocr80s-1.jpg

Another thing to mention... they are (I say "of course") neither on spikes nor standing on the floor - they are on weight-matched soft feet for an extremely low resonance point. So while they can easily be moved by a pinky, but you can hardly register any vibration in them while playing music - have had my iPhone on top of them running a seismography app while playing really loud - still flat-lined. :)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's pretty kick-ass! May I ask what the rationale for the stone thing is - to remove vibrations and resonances completely?

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

That's pretty kick-ass! May I ask what the rationale for the stone thing is - to remove vibrations and resonances completely?

No, there's no vibrations to talk about even in the mdf-sandwich. Weight is always a good thing though... a factor 1000 over the moving mass of the speaker is always desirable (which seldom is possible/practical for subwoofers), so another 80 kilos doesn't hurt. :D

I think the rationale here was that since Komorok works with stone professionally he wanted stone speakers. (He's also done a few kick-ass stone guitars as well!)

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just found your photos and scrivenings! Thank you (!) for such a wonderful adventure...

May you live long and continue to prosper!

Tillman the Envious in Florida USA

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Thanks - and the very same to you!

I've had a long "break" and just enjoyed music and movies.... But I have just recently embarked on finalizing the cinema - in the sense on fulfilling the project plan set... I know things never end otherwise.

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Opened up a hole in the back wall for a big proj box during the weekend and installed (basic things only) an Epson EH-TW9400 last night. (Called 6050UB in the US, I think)

Will be changing to a Denon X4700H when I can get my hands on one... And add loudspeakers so I get an Auro3D 10.1 / Atmos 7.1.4 setup. ( No idea what that will be set up as for DTS-X, not bothered myself to find out. :cool: )

Speakers to be added:
* Left/Right Front Highs - already in place, just need to figure out what cables I had in place for them...
* Six Auro3D height layer surround speakers. These are semi-DIY speakers based on a design the late Anders Eriksson did for LTS (Swedish Sound-technical society) and the Faktiskt forum once upon a time based on Vifa TG9FD-10-04 some 13-15 years ago. Got my hands on 8 non-assembled ones recently and they'll do service for this just fine
* Four Ino audio a1 that's been here "in storage" for quite a few years just waiting for this. Just needs new paint as they are white. These will be for Auro3D VoiceOfGod but also used for four Atmos channels - which of course leads to some setup issues as this is not a switching option the receiver can support. I think you'd need to go Trinnov to handle something like that...

I'll also be converting an old Solid Tech stand into a sideboard for the back two seats.

When all that is in place - there is only the inner room "airlock" door remaining on the old project plan. 10th Anniversary "deadline" comes up in March next year. :cool:

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Some way to go then... it will only be 29 speakers in the cinema... :cool:

(33 with 2 for the home office workplace and the pair in the "machinist room")

OP
Nightlord

Nightlord

Here's how the proj turned out in it's newly made compartment in the (acoustically semi-transparent/ dampened) back wall:
20210816.jpg

Top Bottom