• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DACs will play and display the correct bit rate and frequency of non resampled 320 CBR files?

threni

Major Contributor
I think this is why audio drivers have audio managing programs. They ensure this doesn't happen. With Deadbeef there used to be an option to tell ALSA to release the plugin resonsible for the audio playing on the music player and transfer the management to whatever plugin in, or core that managed combined video and audio for example. It used to be audio at 16/48 from what I recall.
So...it did combine them or it didn't? 24/192 and 16/44 are playing on your computer - what do you send to the DAC?

I'm fairly certain that a sound manager doesn't try to combine the bit depths and frequencies.
Look at it from the DAC's point of view. It doesn't care what the OS/driver/apps do. It just wants a stream of a given depth/rate to play.

dc655321

Major Contributor
If anyone is interested in lossless compression, here is a reasonably approachable place to start the trail of breadcrumbs.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I believe even in lossless the algorithms still make errors. If this is true then by definition the process is not exact.

Nope nope nope. Lossless (de)compression is exactly, mathematically that.
Would not be too useful for things like text, for example, if it behaved otherwise...

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
˙ǝɟᴉl,o, ʇɔɐℲ

˙sɹoɹɹǝ ʎuɐ ǝǝs ʇ,uop I

˙uᴉɐƃɐ ʇᴉ ǝǝs (I puɐ) noʎ ǝɹoɟǝq pǝssǝɹdɯoɔǝp puɐ 'ʍǝᴉʌ oʇ (noʎ puɐ) ǝɯ oʇ ʞɔɐq ʇuǝs uǝɥʍ pǝssǝɹdɯoɔ ʎlssǝlssol 'ǝɹǝɥʇ ǝƃɐɹoʇs uᴉ pǝssǝɹdɯoɔ ʎlssǝlssol ʎlǝʞᴉl 'ɹǝʌɹǝs s,ɹᴉɯ∀ oʇ ʇuǝs uǝɥʍ ʞɹoʍʇǝu ǝɥʇ uᴉ pǝssǝɹdɯoɔ ʎlssǝlssol ʎlǝʞᴉl sɐʍ ʇI

˙ǝʌoqɐ ʇxǝʇ ǝɥʇ :ǝldɯɐxƎ

˙pǝssǝɹdɯoɔǝp uǝɥʍ ɐʇɐp lɐuᴉƃᴉɹo ǝɥʇ ʞɔɐq sǝʌᴉƃ uoᴉssǝɹdɯoɔ ssǝlsso˥

˙sʇɔɐɟ ǝɥʇ ǝƃuɐɥɔ ʇ,usǝop ǝʌǝᴉlǝq noʎ ʇɐɥM

I do.

F

freemansteve

The only reason you'd get any error on lossless decompression would be a software bug, and that would become obvious very quickly! You'd never be able to install anything on a PC for example....

D

Deleted member 46664

If I load a 24/96 file and attempt to play it the Topping D10s shows 44.1 until I stop the track and restart it again.

Why can’t it make the switch on the first track?

This is the second Topping Dac I’ve found to be a problem in my system, the first being a DX3pro.

Okay....
1) If your OS is set up to play multiple sounds at once ... for example a email notification and music at the same time. It is going to have to resample everything to whatever speed you set in your sound setup panels. Thus if you set 16/44.1 that's what it always plays everything at, so your DAC is always going to show that speed.

2) Most OSs provide a "bit exact" bypass for the shared mixer. In Windows it's called "exclusive mode" and it requires a WASAPI compatible player to activate it. I'm not sure what it might be called in *nix or other OSs but it's almost certainly there. Once you jump into this bit-exact mode there is a short negotiation between the OS and the DAC at the start of each song... if the file can be played at it's native speeds without resampling it is sent through as is. If not, either the system errors out or it falls back to reampling. But in the bit exact mode, the player software owns the DAC until the song is done.

3) MP3 and other compressed formats cannot be fed directly to a DAC, you need a "codec" to convert them into PCM streams. That is a problem for your Player and your OS to work out... The player has to load the codec and then feed it's output to the DAC.

Hope that helps a bit...

Top Bottom