• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which country produces the greatest speakers?

stepBA

It was only for a short while, but I have a pair of Tannoy PBM-8 speakers that were designed in the U.K. but built in Canada. I like these very much, by the way and use them in my surround setup.

I am partial to UK speakers - I just bought a set of Wharfdale Lintons (designed in UK, made in China)

I have a pair of PBM 8s and need a woofer (or more) or a recone kit. Any suggestions? The speakers are great. I’ve had them for quite a while.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I think each country has a few great brands. But mostly they sell in their own country, and sales are no measure of quality.

This might be a euro centric view but I wonder who's bigger than kef, b&w and focal in terms of global brands and units sold out of country of origin?

I guess the US has more than its fair share of mega speaker brands, Wilson, YG, Magico, but how many units do they shift?

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I have a pair of PBM 8s and need a woofer (or more) or a recone kit. Any suggestions? The speakers are great. I’ve had them for quite a while.
I don't really have a suggestion as my woofers seem to be still in good shape. If they needed it I would likely take a stab at restoring the rubber surrounds, but if the cones are damaged, probably look at replacing them with a similar Dayton Audio 8 inch woofer. The PBM-8's are really decent speakers, especially if you pair them with one or two subs (I have 2).

stepBA

I don't really have a suggestion as my woofers seem to be still in good shape. If they needed it I would likely take a stab at restoring the rubber surrounds, but if the cones are damaged, probably look at replacing them with a similar Dayton Audio 8 inch woofer. The PBM-8's are really decent speakers, especially if you pair them with one or two subs (I have 2).
Thank you for suggesting Dayton Audio. I’ll check them out.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Back in the days the top and probably among best three way speakers Onkyo ever made where actually made in Germany (as switches were made there rest whose assembled there). Today most of the things are actually made in China (at last bigger part of the production which includes considerable amount of human work) even if finally assembled elsewhere and used parts are from everywhere literally. It helps that Japan is still a leader when it comes to semi products (especially when it comes to chemistry). To put it to example of relevance Alps, Foster, Mitsubishi.
To me it's not who actually made it but from which parts and with how much effort put into it regarding design.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I would hope they feel terrible and lesser compared to their neighbours, of course!
There's a reason a Swede is always the butt of the joke in Denmark and Norway.
Speaking of which. A while ago, it was a Norwegian who got angry at a belly talker who with his doll told one story after another about how stupid Norwegians are. Then this Norwegian in the audience got damn pissed. He got up and said:
You Swedes think that we Norwegians are stupid! You are wrong!
Belly speaker: Excuse me, that was not the intention, it was just a little joking about neighbors, the border people.
Norwegian: It's not you I'm talking to. It's the little bastard you have in your lap.

Check if the turn signals work: Works, does not work.

Certainly the same as it is between other countries around the world. Joking with their neighbors. Incidentally, the same principle between different cities, areas within one and the same country.:)

Here, created by Stig Carlsson disciple Larsen. Swedish speakers:

larsen_9.png

Edit:

If these were to create speakers, they could easily become the best in the world, in terms of loudspeakers in relation to the number of inhabitants in the country. The boss in the country has good contact with higher powers, it might help.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_111246.jpg
    IMG_20220104_111246.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Germany, to me. Canton, heco, ascendo, quadral, cme, audio physic everything measures insanely well and even.
Germany :cool:
Don't forget Magnat ;)

lowkeyoperations

I’m going to go for a region and say Scandinavia. Not only a huge number of speaker builders but a lot of actual driver manufacturers, such as Seas and ScanSpeak that appear in speakers made all over the world.

Russell484

USA - Advent, EPI, JansZen, AR, EV, Altec, Jensen, Bozak, Stephens Trusonic, Acoutech, KLH, Dynaco, Vandersteen, Allison, JBL, Maggies, Klipsch, etc. These were back in the Wonder Years along with a lot of foreign speakers like Lowthers, and Quad ESL's, Bozaks, Spendors, Wharfedale's. Tanoy's etc. Now I have Canadian speakers, Axiom Audio. Who's to say who made the greatest speakers.

OP
carewser

carewser

USA - Advent, EPI, JansZen, AR, EV, Altec, Jensen, Bozak, Stephens Trusonic, Acoutech, KLH, Dynaco, Vandersteen, Allison, JBL, Maggies, Klipsch, etc. These were back in the Wonder Years along with a lot of foreign speakers like Lowthers, and Quad ESL's, Bozaks, Spendors, Wharfedale's. Tanoy's etc. Now I have Canadian speakers, Axiom Audio. Who's to say who made the greatest speakers.
You didn't even mention two of the biggest American speaker makers-Bose and Polk Audio

Wikipedia also claims that MartinLogan is "a Canadian/ US American" company. WTF? I always thought they were just American

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I always thought they were just American
Yes, were. From WikiPedia:
In October 2005 ML was acquired by a subsidiary of ShoreView Industries. ShoreView is a financial firm that makes investments in companies. ShoreView is a passive investor that is not from the loudspeaker or audio business and is not involved in day-to-day operations. Production of Martin Logan Electrostatic loudspeakers was moved to the Paradigm manufacturing facility in Mississauga Ontario, Canada post this acquisition. Conventional loudspeakers by Martin Logan, the Motion line, are manufactured in China.

On May 13, 2019, Paradigm Electronics in Mississauga Ontario, issued a press release that stated "Scott Bagby and John Bagby announced the purchase of Paradigm Electronics, Anthem Electronics, and MartinLogan Loudspeakers, effective May 10, 2019."

Top Bottom