• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which country produces the greatest speakers?

jim1274

Forum Donor
^That's no joke, Canada has many great speaker makers

Energy
Kanto
Edifier
Paisley Research
PSB
Mirage
Paradigm
Totem

This has been dormant a while, but found no threads talking about Canadian designs specifically. In the 80’s, some of the most interesting speaker action was in Canada, especially for good but affordable ones. I’ve owned Paradigm, PSB, and Energy—still own 2 pairs of Energy 22 Reference from 1984. In a thread recently found, there was a reference to a Winslow Burhoe design, same guy that was involved in the Energy 22 project. It really caught my eye because another thread I’m active in has quoted Floyd Toole several times, Didn’t know a lot about Toole, but see his was involved to some extent with the Energy 22s:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you realize you are on the internet, right?

and to the point, I have to go with the US - you've got Lincoln, Wm. Jennings Bryant, Huey Long, etc. etc.
I'm thinking ancient Greece with Demosthenes, or Rome with Cicero.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
or Rome with Cicero
Cicero, that's a suburb on the near west side of Chicago.
It came to fame as the suburban hideout of Al Capone when the was persona non grata in Chicago after the election of Mayor William E. Dever in 1924. Those were the days. LOL

Penelinfi

JVC, Sony, Yamaha, some brands that do speakers from Japan.
Toshiba, Hitachi, Technics, TEAC, Onkyo? A lot of the cool stuff stayed in Japan though, and many probably no longer make speakers or anything more than regular cheaper items.

Not sure if mentioned, but in Australia you get many obscure to the rest of the world brands like
VAF
Krix
Osborn
Legend
Ascension (Adelaide speakers)
March Audio
Pitt and Giblin

And many more that I wouldn't know

Last edited:

jim1274

Forum Donor
Oh man, are you a gravedigger by profession? First one gravedig (omni speakers) and now this one ;)
Uh oh…I knew it was just a matter of time before the heat started…

I was surprised to basically not see a single thing on the forum about the Energy 22, a pretty popular speaker in the early-mid 80’s that sold in pretty good numbers, but apparently a lot more popular in Canada from seeing a lot more used ones pop-up for sale there than in the USA over the years. Hearing those 22s in 1984 and the recent Duevel Omnis have been the most notable in my 50+
years in the game. I better be careful or I’ll get hammered next for defending a 40
year old speaker vs more modern ones. These will be a little harder to bash, at least on relative value merit. If there is a better speaker for maybe $400 or so invested by finding a pair with broken tweeters Dirt cheap them have the tweeters rebuilt to new spec, I want one. I’ll need to find a thread like “best speaker for under $500” or some such and stir the pot.

jim1274

Forum Donor
Oh man, are you a gravedigger by profession? First one gravedig (omni speakers) and now this one ;)
Forgot to add, when I first joined, advice was given to post to an old inactive thread if possible as opposed to starting a new one, so I’m just following marching orders. I have a couple more thread graves in my crosshairs to dig up….

jim1274

Forum Donor
Don't worry, I am only teasing you :) I hoped that winky smiley would be enough to convey my intention!
No, i got it—not that slow on the uptake even if it seemed that way from dumb stuff i said in the Onni thread…but…as they say, “if the shoe fits, wear it” or something like that…

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to figure out per-capita... Does your country's rating/score increase by 3dB if it has half the population? :D

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^That's no joke, Canada has many great speaker makers

Energy
Kanto
Edifier
Paisley Research
PSB
Mirage
Paradigm
Totem