• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where do the other watts go? Need basic understanding please

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My class A (J2) has plus and minus supplies and a totem pole output, so the output does swing plus and minus.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
My class A (J2) has plus and minus supplies and a totem pole output, so the output does swing plus and minus.
It swings + & - around the quiescent current setting, the - is a lower level of +.
If the quiescent current is set at 10A and the signal goes negative by 2A, it is still +8A.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Read AMIR’s review of the Nad M10, he isn’t happy over the digitisation of the amplifiers analogue inputs.
So? It's an integrated amp with room correction, and therefore it has an ADC/DAC chain. That doesn't make it a digital amplifier. If so, then every AVR with a class AB amp is a digital amplifier as well.

Let's make it simple and take a power amplifier, for instance, NAD M23. Is that a digital amplifier? Why?

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So? It's an integrated amp with room correction, and therefore it has an ADC/DAC chain. That doesn't make it a digital amplifier. If so, then every AVR with a class AB amp is a digital amplifier as well.

Let's make it simple and take a power amplifier, for instance, NAD M23. Is that a digital amplifier? Why?
Oh my god.
You two are still at it??

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It swings + & - around the quiescent current setting, the - is a lower level of +.
If the quiescent current is set at 10A and the signal goes negative by 2A, it is still +8A.
True, but at the load end the voltage swings plus and minus. Although I begin to see the confusion here.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but at the load end the voltage swings plus and minus. Although I begin to see the confusion here.
In absolute terms, a pure single ended class A amp, or one half of a differential class A amp, does not change polarity! It swings from quiescent/bias point up and down, if it touches zero, that's it. On a single ended amp, that's a clip, on differential, that's class B. But never goes past zero.
In a differential output stage, the DC from each half cancels out when the two halves are combined.
But this is all irrelevant to the subject at hand, No?
Argument for argument’s sake?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In absolute terms, a pure single ended class A amp, or one half of a differential class A amp, does not change polarity! It swings from quiescent/bias point up and down, if it touches zero, that's it. On a single ended amp, that's a clip, on differential, that's class B. But never goes below zero.
In a differential output stage, the DC from each half cancels out when the two halves are combined.
But this is all irrelevant to the subject at hand, No?
Argument for argument’s sake?
You're right that the current never crosses through zero. Otherwise yeah, it's just arguing on the internet ;)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor

The M23 is described as being a Hybrid Digital Amplifier. Think you need to look up the definition of Hybrid.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The M23 is described as being a Hybrid Digital Amplifier. Think you need to look up the definition of Hybrid.
Quit quoting the marketing department :facepalm: Good luck with your vegan chicken wings though!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quit quoting the marketing department :facepalm: Good luck with your vegan chicken wings though!
I like how they cleverly spotted Hypex modules. Not much gets past these guys! :D

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
So AMIR and Nad are wrong. You remind me of the Mother who goes to watch her son’s army cadet passing out parade,
As his platoon are passing she turns to her husband and says, “Look Dad our George is the only one in step.’

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So AMIR and Nad are wrong.
Why don't you actually address any of the questions I posed to you? I clearly explained why the M10 has a DAC and ADC. This is not part of the power amplifier section. It's just an integrated amp with digital inputs and room correction like there are a great many out there. The room correction is the reason for the AD/DA conversion, nothing else.

NAD is plain wrong with their Hybrid nonsense. It's just a marketing term and nothing else. If you would actually take the time to read the "white paper" I posted, you'd know what it's all about. By that definition, the M23 shouldn't even be called HybridDigital, and for some reason, it still is... Yeah, I know what is coming: "you see, they admit it's digital right there after all".. Sorry... no, it's just stupid marketing, nothing else. If you think otherwise, tell us what is digital about the M23? Also, tell us then how the designer is wrong about telling everybody it's an analog amplifier.
You remind me of the Mother who goes to watch her son’s army cadet passing out parade,
As his platoon are passing she turns to her husband and says, “Look Dad our George is the only one in step.’
What's up with all of these ad hominems? Why not come up with actual arguments for once :facepalm:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Why don't you actually address any of the questions I posed to you? I clearly explained why the M10 has a DAC and ADC. This is not part of the power amplifier section. It's just an integrated amp with digital inputs and room correction like there are a great many out there. The room correction is the reason for the AD/DA conversion, nothing else.

NAD is plain wrong with their Hybrid nonsense. It's just a marketing term and nothing else. If you would actually take the time to read the "white paper" I posted, you'd know what it's all about. By that definition, the M23 shouldn't even be called HybridDigital, and for some reason, it still is... Yeah, I know what is coming: "you see, they admit it's digital right there after all".. Sorry... no, it's just stupid marketing, nothing else. If you think otherwise, tell us what is digital about the M23? Also, tell us then how the designer is wrong about telling everybody it's an analog amplifier.

What's up with all of these ad hominems? Why not come up with actual arguments for once :facepalm:
If it’s got an ADC inside the amplifier the signal is converted from analogue to digital. An amplifier after this is amplifying a digital signal. A hybrid amp has more than one method of amplification.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it’s got an ADC inside the amplifier the signal is converted from analogue to digital.
But the M23 doesn't have an ADC.
An amplifier after this is amplifying a digital signal. A hybrid amp has more than one method of amplification.
But does not. The integrated NAD M10 just has a DAC, and the signal goes analog into its power amp module.

Remember, we're talking about the amplifier topology here. It's like a petrol vs an electric car. You argue that because the gas pedal of a petrol car is fly-by-wire, it's a hybrid.

According to the guys who designed the amplifier modules NAD uses ...
Yeah, I already posted that. It got thoroughly strawmanned already.

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
But the M23 doesn't have an ADC.

But does not. The integrated NAD M10 just has a DAC, and the signal goes analog into its power amp module.

Remember, we're talking about the amplifier topology here. It's like a petrol vs an electric car. You argue that because the gas pedal of a petrol car is fly-by-wire, it's a hybrid.

Yeah, I already posted that. It got thoroughly strawmanned already.
On the ADC just quoting what you said in post 97. My fault for taking anything you say seriously.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the ADC just quoting what you said in post 97. My fault for taking anything you say seriously.
That's a different amp :facepalm:. I explained twice why it has an ADC and It has nothing to do with amplifying. To remove the confusion, I opted to discuss the M23. It's a power amp only, equivalent to discussing a car engine, and not the whole car. Clearly, you are incapable of making the distinction between the two concepts.

Top Bottom