• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
By the way... do you pick up wild mushrooms? I created a thread but it's quite dead... Thanks!
Ramps are coming up everywhere here. This weekend, it's likely charred ramps and morels over polenta.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D62DB9B9-45F9-44A3-8450-D98C8D076BF5.jpeg

Lemon thyme piccata with gnocchi.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F8DC904D-AEE7-4CD7-9D30-14F03461F979.jpeg

Crispy cilantro lime chicken served with rice and pico de gallo.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ramps are coming up everywhere here. This weekend, it's likely charred ramps and morels over polenta.
My wife told me yesterday she heard on the radio that Morels grow nearby where we live, but I don't have a clue where to find them :rolleyes:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My wife told me yesterday she heard on the radio that Morels grow nearby where we live, but I don't have a clue where to find them :rolleyes:
Near birch trees, and especially in areas where there were forest fires a couple years before. But they can surprise you anywhere. The first few times you hunt them, spend time on your hands and knees.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Near birch trees, and especially in areas where there were forest fires a couple years before. But they can surprise you anywhere.
In the shade, inside the forest, or at the boundaries, where there is more sun light?
The first few times you hunt them, spend time on your hands and knees.
I miss this feeling...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is really good looking, I really like it. Question. Are you satisfied with the sauce texture? It seems too liquid from here, but perhaps is how it has to be. Just asking, I'm an ignorant on this.
The sauce wasn't as liquid as it seems, I happen to add some flour to thicken it up at the end after cooking the gnocchi.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What do you have in mind to substitute the chicken? I may be interested too... :cool:
There's several possibilities. For commercial product, the mock chicken from Gardein and Beyond are quite good. At our shop, I freeze extra firm tofu, defrost and drain, then marinate in a spice blend; the freeze/thaw process makes the tofu much chewier and, for lack of a better term, more meatlike.

JP

Major Contributor
At our shop, I freeze extra firm tofu, defrost and drain, then marinate in a spice blend; the freeze/thaw process makes the tofu much chewier and, for lack of a better term, more meatlike.
That'd have my vote.

Reactions: SIY

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's several possibilities. For commercial product, the mock chicken from Gardein and Beyond are quite good. At our shop, I freeze extra firm tofu, defrost and drain, then marinate in a spice blend; the freeze/thaw process makes the tofu much chewier and, for lack of a better term, more meatlike.
Chicken absorbs the taste of the sauce and it releases fats and taste to the sauce too. Do you think tofu will act more or less in the same way?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chicken absorbs the taste of the sauce and it releases fats and taste to the sauce too. Do you think tofu will act more or less in the same way?
I think tofu will. Paneer which is an Indian cheese has similar texture such as tofu does absorb the flavor of sauce that it's cooked in.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, tofu is amazingly absorbent of flavor. And the freeze/thaw increases surface area dramatically, which makes it even more absorbent.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure where to put this but proceeds go to charity. $18 for 32 books. For Gardeners too. FYI

Edit: and Cocktails

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, tofu is amazingly absorbent of flavor. And the freeze/thaw increases surface area dramatically, which makes it even more absorbent.
Have you tried yuba? I've been meaning to look for it. It's sold in dried form and looks ideal for the task.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okonomiyaki. Wanted to make it Hiroshima-style by incorporating noodles among other things, but the noodles became a bit crunchy :rolleyes:
IMG_0696.jpg

Top Bottom