• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Have you tried yuba? I've been meaning to look for it. It's sold in dried form and looks ideal for the task.
I make fresh yuba. We’re experimenting with doing ramen bowls as a lunch entree and that may be a premium add-on.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Pan fried Alaskan halibut with some seasoned rice.

Nothing on the fish but olive oil, salt, and cracked pepper. Incredible.
20220711_105942.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like sea food, but I do like you have plenty of bread to dip :D
I have lived on a deep water tidal creek just off the harbor most of my life. And can go salt water fishing, crabbing and shrimping right off off my dock. I also have a place on a freshwater river where I can go fishing 10 steps from my front door. But I am allergic to shellfish & don't like most fish. When people find this out usually their initial reaction is that it's a shame that I am missing out. Then I explain that one bite of shellfish could potentially kill me, that I didn't like it before I had the reaction & that the taste of fish reminds me of the few harrowing times that I did ingest some shellfish, they see it a bit differently. Then I tell them that it all just means more for them & I'll just have a steak.
They seem to be happy about that. So am I, since I like what I like & don't like animals that can kill me even after they are dead.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have lived on a deep water tidal creek just off the harbor most of my life. And can go salt water fishing, crabbing and shrimping right off off my dock. I also have a place on a freshwater river where I can go fishing 10 steps from my front door.
When I was teenager I had some crisis typical of the age and my father bought me a rod and took me to fish to the river. But that year rained a lot and the water was full of sediments all the time, which made captures very difficult. I will always appreciate the effort he made for me, taking me here and there. I didn't capture any fish at all, but I had a good experience and helped me a lot. :)
Then I tell them that it all just means more for them & I'll just have a steak.
I don't like steaks at all either, so it's even better for others. When my brother prepares rice with meat and shrimp, I just eat the rice, which my wife and kid hugely appreciates. :D

charbong

That looks almost like a Detroit-style.
Yes, very much like Detroit-style, but without the cheese being brought all the way to and over the edge nor the added oil on the sides and bottom to create that almost burnt crust/cheese combo. Most of the burn that you see on this pizza is the result of spillover of sauce and some oil from the cheese. It certainly has the height of Detroit-style pizza. Patterned after Sicilian pizza, the "sheet pizza" was sold room temperature by the slice in many upstate New York small grocery stores back in the day. Many people think it actually tastes better after it has cooled to room temperature and even the following days. It suffers freezing and even refrigeration very well, if you have a good dough.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, very much like Detroit-style, but without the cheese being brought all the way to and over the edge nor the added oil on the sides and bottom to create that almost burnt crust/cheese combo. Most of the burn that you see on this pizza is the result of spillover of sauce and some oil from the cheese. It certainly has the height of Detroit-style pizza. Patterned after Sicilian pizza, the "sheet pizza" was sold room temperature by the slice in many upstate New York small grocery stores back in the day. Many people think it actually tastes better after it has cooled to room temperature and even the following days. It suffers freezing and even refrigeration very well, if you have a good dough.
Interesting- I haven't seen it, but I'll keep my eyes open.

The pan is what really triggered the Detroit thought- we have a big even happening at the end of the month, and one of my midwestern friends is bringing brick cheese so we can do the real thing. Yes, of course I have one of those hardware pans.:D

charbong

Interesting- I haven't seen it, but I'll keep my eyes open.

The pan is what really triggered the Detroit thought- we have a big even happening at the end of the month, and one of my midwestern friends is bringing brick cheese so we can do the real thing. Yes, of course I have one of those hardware pans.:D

Oh yeah, it's all about the pans :) . Do you using steel or aluminum for the Detroit-style?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you grow up in an area that still has good traditional bread, the rest of your life is a torture and a penitence trying to find something half decent.
In my town there is an outstanding bakery. The workshop (where they make the bread and pastry) is fully visible from the street though a glass wall, so to speak, and my kid loves to stay next to it and watch. It would quite difficult to find an alternative.

charbong

In my town there is an outstanding bakery. The workshop (where they make the bread and pastry) is fully visible from the street though a glass wall, so to speak, and my kid loves to stay next to it and watch. It would quite difficult to find an alternative.

Spain, especially Barcelona, is just amazing with this stuff. How is it that a culture, a group of people, can still maintain traditional food and food preparation in such a modern, chaotic and hurried world? It truly gets my utmost respect. I remember visiting that gargantuan main open market in Barcelona and realizing "omg, the ratio of tourists to locals is about 1:1"? If that doesn't say it all ....

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spain, especially Barcelona, is just amazing with this stuff. How is it that a culture, a group of people, can still maintain traditional food and food preparation in such a modern, chaotic and hurried world? It truly gets my utmost respect.
I'm not a great traveler, but I've seen similar things on France and Italy. I think a strong and valuable underlying culture is not that easy to erase. However, it's true that in Spain in general has survived, probably due to low acquisitive power, this tissue of small restaurants with quite adjusted prices that allow working class people to eat daily there, and that helps keeping and great critical mass of professional cooks that buy fresh food for their jobs and for home. There are thousands of places in Spain where you can have a good meal, a home meal, for about 10 €. That allows people to not having to cook at home every day but at the same time eating home style. Also, if you have 20-30 € in your pocket for having daily dinner, you'll eat twice as good, so people with more money to spend maintain a high level layer of restaurants, in Barcelona for instance, that also contribute to create a cooking culture which is quite high.

In the case of markets there is also a regulatory thing. In the end, if everything is on sale, if you only want to make instant money, it's better to transform a traditional market in a place to sell ice cream and drinks to tourists for 10 € each. So there should be some regulation to keep things rational and avoid quick market tendencies to wipe away valuable things that are very difficult to put into an accounting book, and hence easy to overlook. In the case of markets, just giving few or non licenses to open fast food business, so they keep being places for people who wants to cook at home.

And finally I think it's just a matter of instinct. Good food make one happy and feel physically better, so why stop eating and cooking good dishes? Also, here in catalonia has been in the recent years very famous chefs and restaurants that won awards and being at the top of world's restaurants rankings, like el bulli or el celler de can roca, and those places and chefs are very influential and give people someone to look at and get some inspiration. In my case, it's a matter of keep my family working. My wife can't just eat something regular, it has to be good, and my kid is following the same path, so I must keep it up there. There are also a lot of local festivals or special days were the cooking is at the center, and that helps to maintain this culture.

And finally, and last but not least, and with all my respect and love, some cultures don't have in cooking their best asset, so from our perspective what is strange is the other side of the story.

I'm far from being an anthropologist or an economist, so this is just brainstorming before going to bed and after cooking some meatballs for my kid. :D

IMG_20220719_004336474.jpg

I remember visiting that gargantuan main open market in Barcelona and realizing "omg, the ratio of tourists to locals is about 1:1"? If that doesn't say it all ....
Do you mean "La boqueria"?

Top Bottom