• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Country found wild mushrooms for cooking - Share what you have found out there

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is about sharing pictures of mushrooms you've found in the country to be cooked. This activity of going to the mountain to find/collect mushrooms is very common where I'm from, with dedicated tv programs included.

For such an aficionado, one key part is to share what one has found, both as a record of what can be found in the nature and to impress others of one's knowledge of best places, etc. This is why the exact location is almost never fully revealed, although and approximation is always welcome. Hence, as an option, and according to your privacy standards, you can add some localization data to give others an orientation of where I've found those.

Since mushrooms have different names from one town to the next, I ask you to specify the scientific taxonomy, genus and species, of each. Don't worry if you just know the genus, sometimes it's not easy when a genus has a lot of species. If you can't identify the genus, don't eat them :eek: Some genus, Lactarius for instance, have both comestible and toxic species, so in that case you must be able to tell them apart. Safety first! If you have doubts you can post your pictures here and we'll try to help, but the best option is to ask experienced local folks.

I'll start with one of my best mushrooms days, some years ago.

IMG_2932.JPG

Up: Clitocybe nuda
Left: Lactarius sanguifluus/deliciosus
Right: Mixture of minor Hygrophorus species
Bottom: Hygrophorus glyocyclus (I belive they aren't Hygrophorus eburneus because the head is a tad yellow)
Center: Boletus edulis and Chroogomphus rutilus in the center.

These were collected around here. And this is me, just right there, getting the job done. This is about 2000 m altitude.
IMG_2926.JPG

Finally, respect nature and other poeple like you: don't take home more than you are going to eat.

P.S.: English is my third language, so I welcome any correction or suggestion to improve readability. Thanks.

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Very nice, I love mushrooms (from the market unfortunately). In my understanding, you need someone with experience to show you which one are edible and which to avoid, going by photos found online and plant recognition apps is a no-no, as the consequences can be fatal.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real mushroom aficionados hide their true intention of mushroom collection, by wearing only black clothes and a black or at the most dark brown basket. Once you go into a patch of woods, you almost disappear. You never know, there might be another collector hiding in the bushes to scope out your spots.

Clearly, you know what you are doing ... but there is always room for improvement. :cool:
1645716476483.png

MCH

Major Contributor
This thread is about sharing pictures of mushrooms you've found in the country to be cooked. This activity of going to the mountain to find/collect mushrooms is very common where I'm from, with dedicated tv programs included.

For such an aficionado, one key part is to share what one has found, both as a record of what can be found in the nature and to impress others of one's knowledge of best places, etc. This is why the exact location is almost never fully revealed, although and approximation is always welcome. Hence, as an option, and according to your privacy standards, you can add some localization data to give others an orientation of where I've found those.

Since mushrooms have different names from one town to the next, I ask you to specify the scientific taxonomy, genus and species, of each. Don't worry if you just know the genus, sometimes it's not easy when a genus has a lot of species. If you can't identify the genus, don't eat them :eek: Some genus, Lactarius for instance, have both comestible and toxic species, so in that case you must be able to tell them apart. Safety first! If you have doubts you can post your pictures here and we'll try to help, but the best option is to ask experienced local folks.

I'll start with one of my best mushrooms days, some years ago.

View attachment 188815
Up: Clitocybe nuda
Left: Lactarius sanguifluus/deliciosus
Right: Mixture of minor Hygrophorus species
Bottom: Hygrophorus glyocyclus (I belive they aren't Hygrophorus eburneus because the head is a tad yellow)
Center: Boletus edulis and Chroogomphus rutilus in the center.

These were collected around here. And this is me, just right there, getting the job done. This is about 2000 m altitude.
View attachment 188816

Finally, respect nature and other poeple like you: don't take home more than you are going to eat.

P.S.: English is my third language, so I welcome any correction or suggestion to improve readability. Thanks.
Do they still put "caçadors de bolets" in Catalonia tv?

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just found in my phone :)

Attachments

• Resized_20200912_160208.jpeg
    Resized_20200912_160208.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 65

Katji

Major Contributor
Boletus edulis don't grow on the beach ;)
200 km. from the coast, not very far, so I suppose there is some escarpment.
When I moved from the coast to Johannesburg, which is 1750 m., it took a few weeks for me to get used to it. Then it was better, energizing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When I moved from the coast to Johannesburg, which is 1750 m., it took a few weeks for me to get used to it. Then it was better, energizing.
And yet, C-town is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

OP
xaviescacs

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my country, 200 km is a lot :) I guess the orographic proportions in South Africa are quite different :). Here you are at the beach and in 20 minutes hicking on a 2700 m mountain.

Last edited:
OP
xaviescacs

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just found in my phone :)
This is a drama for any mushroom aficionado: go to the mountain without a basket because you are sure there is nothing, and then start spotting all kind of assets you must take home, and then you are forced to use some plastic bag you had on your pocket who knows why, and half the batch arrives destroyed.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a drama for any mushroom aficionado: go to the mountain without a basket because you are sure there is nothing, and then start spotting all kind of assets you must take home, and then you are forced to use some plastic bag you had on your pocket who knows why, and half the batch arrives destroyed.
No problem. You buy this:
1645737360927.png

Fold it, and put it into this:
1645737660608.png

You can thank me later.:cool:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
xaviescacs

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem. You buy this:
View attachment 188922

Fold it, and put it into this:
View attachment 188924

You can thank me later.:cool:
Ah but you are missing an important point mate ;). You want to take home the mushrooms, but not their spores, because you want more to grow up the next season. This is why those baskets are made of Wicker, Reed or similar flexible wood, to let the spores of your mushrooms kept falling to the ground as you walk. Furthermore, it's important to keep them free from humidity to prevent them from getting rotten, so way better with a material that lets air flow around them. Don't need to thank me. :p

Top Bottom