• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
ESMhDCnWkAMTith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

briskly

On copper and steel its pretty typical, it’s pretty much about 2 hours,
Copper and copper alloys are known for contact antimicrobial properties. Steel normally lacks copper and other elements with similar properties; viruses would be expected to last as long as on any other dry surface.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If it gets really bad I plan to cancel my numerous planned holidays and spend the money on having vodka baths ..

Anybody worried about not being able to get hand sanitizer, you can make your own fairly easily. Look it up online.

There's been a load of schools shut down the road in Torquay, somebody got infected while in Italy. Adult and a child . Just two people and hundreds of kids are off school needing looking after .

It's quite the disaster even at the modest levels we've had so far in the UK

It will likely get a whole lot worse, I hope the weather kills it off before that happens.

QMuse

Major Contributor
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china/questions-answers

5. How long this outbreak will last?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict how long the outbreak will last and how the epidemic will evolve overall. We are dealing with a new virus and therefore a lot of uncertainty remains. For instance, it is unknown whether transmission will decrease during the summer, as is observed for seasonal influenza.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you "temporarily" release thousands of prisoners ?

Iran announced Tuesday that it will temporarily release more than 54,000 inmates in an attempt to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The Middle Eastern country has over 2,300 cases of the virus, and 77 deaths.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty interesting info on live span of other coronaviruses on surfaces: https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

We need similar data for SARS-CoV-2 (novel coronavirus) on surfaces.

This sounds like BS: "On copper and steel its pretty typical, it’s pretty much about 2 hours,” Redfield [CDC director] said at a House of Representatives hearing on the government response to the fast-spreading virus.

I heard him say it too, but here is one article that quoted the CDC director:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-latest-updates-outbreak.html

Two hours on a metal surface seems like wishful thinking unless it is hot. Totally unacceptable for the director of the CDC to be telling people. I would imagine it is highly temperature dependent, but I can't believe there is no published data on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Redfield#Controversy

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you "temporarily" release thousands of prisoners ?
Maybe you only release repeat offenders? I must say it sounds like non-sense. Maybe they'll keep tabs on them, and go pick them back up later.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Coronavirus: Chinese messaging app WeChat censored virus content since 1 Jan
China's most popular messaging app has been censoring key words about the coronavirus outbreak from as early as 1 January, a report has found.

Toronto-based research group Citizen Lab found that WeChat blocked combinations of keywords and criticism of President Xi Jinping.

The report also found that WeChat, owned by Chinese firm Tencent, blocked more words as the outbreak grew.

China has for years censored what its people read and say online.

But this report suggests China began censoring discussions weeks before officials began acknowledging the severity of the outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom