• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What will ‘HiFi’ look like in 2050

Multicore

Major Contributor
You are a very good observer. I think that's good!

The LP is actually recorded in the SQ matrix encoded Quadrophonic process. I even had a matching Quadro system with turntable once when it was a new fashion. But this Messieaen LP only came into my hands a few years ago. It is stereo compatible.

Label: Deutsche Harmonia Mundi – 1 C 065-99 711 Q, EMI Electrola – 1 C 065-99 711 Q
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Quadraphonic
Land: Germany
Veröffentlicht: 1978
Genre: Classical
Stil: Contemporary
Based on my research the recording was only ever released on vinyl in 1987. There's this Deutsche Harmonia Mundi which was released in a few countries and another on an EMI 2LP set with a CBSO/Rattle recording of Turangalîla. I don't think I can be bothered to buy used LPs just to see if I like it. I'm picky, of the many End of Time recordings in streaming there's only two I really like.

It's time we had a quadraphonic vinyl revival. How Portlandia would that be?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don't think I can be bothered to buy used LPs just to see if I like it. I'm picky, of the many End of Time recordings in streaming there's only two I really like.

I understand that, I wouldn't do that either. It was just a random picture example with an artsy cover to illustrate the point. I'd have to see how many records I have of that piece alone in my collection. I have not yet identified a clear favourite.

End of Time is going to be performed again life at the place of it's origin in January, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Same procedure as every year.

It's time we had a quadraphonic vinyl revival. How Portlandia would that be?
Oh my! :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1920s-girls-listen-to-the-radio.jpg

EDIT: Well, actually... it will look just like the above, but it will, of course, be in color.

mm1qp7rwniw71.jpg

Last edited:

HorizonsEdge

A post on another thread raised this question in my mind

25 years from now - how will we record and listen to music?
My knee-jerk reaction is that all books and music will be banned by then. We already have one foot on that dark road.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My prediction : It can go one of two ways.

Etiher:
1 - you will not be able to buy a system that doesn't need a warehouse to put it in, and doesn't cost less than whatever the equivalent of £1million today is in 25 years time

Or
2 - the entire system including transducers will fit on the head of a pin, with room for the angel still to dance, and will cost < £1

I am optimistic that ASR will win, and option 2 is the more likely.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snake oil will continue to increase due to the widening of the gap between those who understand the technology and those who do not.
Snake oil may be getting worse because the pool of marks is getting smaller. People get exposed to objectivism, or simply go and buy a Sonos-type system and never cross paths with snake oil at all. This leaves the few who are susceptible, financially capable, and interested in participating in such nonsense.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
25 years from now - how will we record and listen to music?
I asked ChatGPT:

In the next 25 years, technology will continue to evolve and reshape how we record and listen to music. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Streaming: Streaming services will likely dominate the way we listen to music. High-speed internet connections will make it possible for people to access vast libraries of songs instantly from any device, eliminating the need for physical media.

2. Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR): Advances in VR and AR technology may revolutionize the music experience. Imagine being able to attend live concerts from the comfort of your own home or have virtual interactions with your favorite artists.

3. Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI could play a significant role in how music is recorded and produced. It may assist artists in generating new sounds, composing songs, or creating personalized playlists tailored to individual preferences.

4. Holographic Performances: With advancements in holographic technology, it's possible that artists will be able to give live performances as holograms, allowing fans to experience concerts featuring their favorite deceased artists or have virtual meet-and-greets.

5. High-Resolution Audio: As internet speeds improve, high-quality audio formats like FLAC may become more accessible, providing listeners with a more immersive and dynamic music experience.

6. Wearable Technology: Music playback may become integrated into wearable devices like smartwatches or augmented reality glasses, allowing users to enjoy music while on the move without the need for headphones or external devices.

It's important to note that these are just predictions, and the future of music recording and listening could hold even more exciting developments. The most important thing is that music will always be an integral part of our lives, no matter how it is recorded or delivered.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Personally, I think the survivors of the collapse will be mining the landfills for tech (when they're not tending and guarding their vegetable gardens).
That scenario could make for a really spiffy Mad Max reboot!

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
My knee-jerk reaction is that all books and music will be banned by then. We already have one foot on that dark road.
Thinking Joe’s Garage (Zappa) and The Central Scrutinizer ?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm guessing within the next 3-5 years, the majority of new music released is going to be more or less AI-assisted. So trying to predict 25 years into the future is wild.

It will become necessary to create new royalty models that separate professional/'real' artists from AI/mood/background audio. Not that dissimilar to what Deezer and Universal Music announced recently.

In the 2030s I'm thinking compact ultra-short throw projectors are going replace TVs, streamers and (smart) speakers as the projectors will also have built-in soundbar-type faux Atmos speakers. A single small device for all living room media.

AR/VR: as long as you have to wear chunky glasses and/or separate electronics it's not going to catch on. But it will scale down eventually.

Music (and other content) recommendations based on your stress & energy levels passed on by your smart ring.

Of course, there will be people who will still have the funds and space to store & collect the very expensive physical media and large speakers but it will be very niche. Most people have moved on to the metaverse.

Pareto Pragmatic

I try not to predict the future. But if I do, I generally don't give a date for my predictions, making them unfalsifiable!

Based on current college students in my classes, and thinking about where they might be in 2 decades in terms of life and money....

Almost universally they listen to earbuds/IEM/headphones. The only ones who consistently listen to 2 channel with speakers in a room are those that are into vinyl or vintage, usually both. Near field is rare, a few who mix, and a few who "like a break from the buds". Getting actual headphones is done by some but relatively few, you have to be serious to do that.

Best guess, augmented reality + wearable tech. IEM/buds, lightweight glasses to project the image of the band/group and trick the brain to get a more forward sound stage, and something to give a base impact to the torso that is worn. I think this will fit with the current trends and use of tech by 20 year olds. I can see a direct line from here to there.

What might make traditional hi fi grow? I think it will be more and more niche. Fewer young people are exposed at home, and fewer will be in the future. BUT, if some trend/fad comes along for "listening parties"? I can see how people might find that isolated listening leaves something missing, and group listening can be fun. If that became a trend for a while, I can see that generating new interest in high numbers. That might happen when used floods the market as a generation dies off. The current generation of college students really, really values getting together. Because they recently couldn't as early college students/high school students. So I can see how this might happen, but I doubt it will.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I'm guessing within the next 3-5 years, the majority of new music released is going to be more or less AI-assisted. So trying to predict 25 years into the future is wild.

It will become necessary to create new royalty models that separate professional/'real' artists from AI/mood/background audio. Not that dissimilar to what Deezer and Universal Music announced recently.

In the 2030s I'm thinking compact ultra-short throw projectors are going replace TVs, streamers and (smart) speakers as the projectors will also have built-in soundbar-type faux Atmos speakers. A single small device for all living room media.

AR/VR: as long as you have to wear chunky glasses and/or separate electronics it's not going to catch on. But it will scale down eventually.

Music (and other content) recommendations based on your stress & energy levels passed on by your smart ring.

Of course, there will be people who will still have the funds and space to store & collect the very expensive physical media and large speakers but it will be very niche. Most people have moved on to the metaverse.
Very good thoughts, I think. It's already being noted that many books you find on Amazon are generated by AI. For me, it means that I look more and more critically to see if I have a well-known author.

Top Bottom