• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What will ‘HiFi’ look like in 2050

CapMan

Major Contributor
A post on another thread raised this question in my mind

25 years from now - how will we record and listen to music?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Oh! I would have to live to be 100 to see that. But my tube amplifiers will still serve me then. So much for my prediction. :)
I also will listen to Messiaen - this is timeless music.

211-messiaen.jpg

JSmith

Master Contributor
25 years from now - how will we record and listen to music?
It's possible the speakers and maybe even the microphones will be gone;
The future of sound and music may be completely redefined and reinvented by eliminating the conventional "air vibrational" sound and establish an electronic palette to expand this human sense into a new reality. Technology's digitization of sound made the vinyl record obsolete, the very nature of sound may become expand into less what the physical world creates, but what our brain can create in the ethereal cognitive space. The recording studio, ever-evolving as a technology itself, may become more of a sound laboratory where the conventions of decibel and musical note are advanced into an entirely new form—a form that lives electronically and manifests only in the complexity our neural circuits.
This is worth watching;

JSmith

Keith_W

Major Contributor
My prediction is that there will be an increasing divide between "traditionalists" and "modernists" ... i.e. what subjectivists and objectivists are increasingly becoming. One side will continue to use ancient technology in the belief that it sounds better. Turntables, valve amps, expensive speaker cables, etc. The other will embrace whatever new tech that is proven to improve performance. DSP has already come down in price, but remains a barrier due to the learning curve required. I predict that DSP will make big strides in useability and will be integrated into more electronics. Materials science (and therefore nearly all speaker drivers) appears to remain static - IF there is a major improvement in magnets or a room temperature superconductor, there will be a major change in drivers - they could become smaller, have less inertia, etc.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
It's possible the speakers and maybe even the microphones will be gone;

This is worth watching;

JSmith
That’s is really interesting !

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
My prediction is that there will be an increasing divide between "traditionalists" and "modernists" ... i.e. what subjectivists and objectivists are increasingly becoming.
If that were true, I would be a split personality, because I live out and enjoy all these sides. In addition, I would be a perfectionist, minimalist and avant-gardist, as I describe myself. And that's not all, because I'm in the middle of real and diverse life.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Sending Sound Right Into Your Brain Might Reinvent Music

That would be something quite different from the experience of a concert or the perception of nature. Well, I decline with thanks.

Sound, as the vibration of air, may go the way of vinyl.

LOL Bad comparison, imo. BTW: It remains exciting how things will go with vinyl. It's not finished yet.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RDoc

I'd imagine more room equalization and more channels to create a more realistic listening experience will be a major push. Apart from sounding more like being in live concert/club/etc., it will require buying all new equipment and music. What's not to like?

OTOH, perhaps people will give up on music reproduction entirely and will have robot musicians with real instruments in their living rooms. The market for Stradivarius instruments will be through the roof!

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I’m hoping that audio health will continue to advance and we’ll all be able to enjoy the entire frequency range long into our old age. Might stop some of us older listeners trying to bend the equipment to our deficiencies.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Oh! I would have to live to be 100 to see that. But my tube amplifiers will still serve me then. So much for my prediction. :)
I also will listen to Messiaen - this is timeless music.

View attachment 311695
I don't know that recording of the end of time. And I can't find it in Amazon Music. Is it quadraphonic?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be something quite different from the experience of a concert or the perception of nature. Well, I decline with thanks.
How would you know? Feeding the brain directly should deliver the same experience as live music. Remember the Matrix ...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ATC will still be making the exact same loudspeakers.
Keith

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don't know that recording of the end of time. And I can't find it in Amazon Music. Is it quadraphonic?
You are a very good observer. I think that's good!

The LP is actually recorded in the SQ matrix encoded Quadrophonic process. I even had a matching Quadro system with turntable once when it was a new fashion. But this Messieaen LP only came into my hands a few years ago. It is stereo compatible.

Label: Deutsche Harmonia Mundi – 1 C 065-99 711 Q, EMI Electrola – 1 C 065-99 711 Q
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Quadraphonic
Land: Germany
Veröffentlicht: 1978
Genre: Classical
Stil: Contemporary

Top Bottom