• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What the heck is YPAO doing?

3dbinCanada

The higher models won´t do much for the sub either if you run the automatic YPAO on-screen. You have ~ 4 bands for subwoofer which you can tweak with manual PEQ, but the mic is also poor and there was some limitation how low it can eq. Basically with Yamaha receivers one should opt for MiniDSP or Antimode to get the sub sounding as good as XT32, ARC, Dirac Live. Fingers crossed they make necessary changes to new range. Many reviewers have said this for years that YPAO is behind others especially the low frequency correction and Yamaha engineers are bringing some stupid A.I features and other useless stuff, but they will sell much easier with correct type of marketing.

@amirm will hopefully measure the YPAO R.S.C with A1080 he has at some point. It has 64-bit processing power same to flagship model, missing the 3D angle measurements which Gene at Audioholics didn´t praise.

Gene @Audioholics introduction to the 60 series did mention the YPAO limitation to be down at 31.5 Hz because of the mic but with manual PEQ, you could reach down to 15.6 Hz but you are limited to 4 bands as you say.

NismoZ

If YPAO can measure down to 15Hz, but the mic cannot capture it, then would adding a capable mic enable YPAO to auto correct lower than 31.5Hz? Or would it only measure and display the graph, but then its up to the user to set a manual PEQ below 31.5Hz in the YPAO GUI?

3dbinCanada

If YPAO can measure down to 15Hz, but the mic cannot capture it, then would adding a capable mic enable YPAO to auto correct lower than 31.5Hz? Or would it only measure and display the graph, but then its up to the user to set a manual PEQ below 31.5Hz in the YPAO GUI?
I was missing slam from my sub between the 40 and 60 Hz region so I looked at the YPAO results and said no wonder. I loaded the YPAO:Flat results and manually edited the subwoofer response and I got my slam back.

Tinkerer

I measured a setup a little while ago where a Yamaha surround receiver was used. I came across something very odd. When YPAO was activated, it raised the high frequencies considerably compared to using the receiver in Pure Direct without YPAO.

Here's the right speaker with Pure Direct:
View attachment 71055

And here's YPAO activated for same channel. I believe the subwoofers were decativated in Pure Direct, but what interests me and I don't understand is what the correction is doing above 2KHz:
View attachment 71056

Same thing on left channels. Pure Direct:
View attachment 71057

Left with YPAO:
View attachment 71058

Does anyone know what's going on here? The response with YPAO activated above 2KHz makes no sense.
I think I read the Yamaha Receivers will do this when you are listening below reference levels. It's a type of loudness correction. I maybe wrong.

Top Bottom