• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What sample rate should use in Windows 11 with Topping DX1

WaitingCarp

Hey I just got my first AMP DAC!

I chose the Topping DX1, and I was just wondering what the best sample rate to use in windows 11 is?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• sample rate.png
    sample rate.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 130
OP
W

WaitingCarp

I'm a massive noob lol, I just use Spotify.

Should I just set it to 44.1 KHz, 24-bit then?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and welcome to ASR :)

Congrats on your purchase.

For sample rate, people have this visualization in their head that samples are connected together to create the audio waveform, therefore the higher the sample rate the more accurate the waveform is going to be. Fortunately, that is not how things work. As per Nyquist Shannon theorem, any set of samples created with a sampling rate of 2N Hz and filtered at N Hz creates one and only one curve. What this means practically is that since we can not hear frequencies higher than 20KHz, 44.1KHz sampling is going to be as good as it gets. To be on the safer side, you can go with 48KHz to leave some more room for the filters.

For bit depth, the higher the bits, the lower the noise floor. By the time you get to 16bits, you are already doing better than your physical environment. If you want to be extra sure, go with 24Bits.

So, in summary 44.1KHz / 16 bits is perfectly fine. Anything beyond 48KHz / 24 bits is pointless.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a very general sense.
16-bit/44.1k is CD audio quality.
24-bit/48k (DVD movie audio quality) should cover just about any audio you normally might use.
24-bit/96k for HD DVD music disks.
24-bit/192k for Blu-ray movie audio.
Maybe set audio for 24-bit/96k (?)

OP
W

WaitingCarp

You should get a player that supports ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive, both of which bypass that subsystem.

If you can't, use 44.1 KHz, 24-bit.
What would a good player be? is TIDAL good?

Top Bottom