• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solaro QR1 as pre/pro/active filter (was: What pre/pro for audio only ?)

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Rather than hijacking an existing AV pre/pro thread, I'll go for a dedicated one - sorry if the subject has already been treated elsewhere.
So, my question is : what would be a convenient pre-pro for a guy with zero appetence towards video (no Dolby, no Atmos, no nothing), who aims for a tri-amped 2-channel audio system with the usual preamp functionalities of (preferably remote) source selection & volume control, plus : analog & digital inputs, XOver & DRC through DSP, a minimal number of boxes, and - for the sake of it, not SQ :rolleyes: - a minimal number of cascading A/D -D/A conversions?
Do you guys think this cutie with the right I/O cards would fit the bill, once appropriately set up ?

OP
Fledermaus

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Well, since
After a great deal of research, it seem's that there's a scarcity of user friendly options for a system that can handle different inputs (analog phono pre, coax, chromecast optical, USB HD, NAS, streaming) and run it through a single ultra high quality audio infrastructure for basic room EQ.
I took the trouble to become a maker of sorts, and do it myself : here is the final product ( steampunk prototype not intended for anything else than fun and personal use), front side :

and back side :

Inside, ground floor, power supply department :

1st floor, communication, control & command department :

2nd floor, DSP headquarters :

The thing's got 2 analog inputs, USB input, remote control (volume and source selection via Arduino, IR sensor, relay board and motorized pot), streaming capabilities (ethernet switch and Cubox with USB out included, Dante included), zero wall-wart in sight, minimal visible :rolleyes:cable mess, 12V trigger out, and will act as active crossover ahead of 3 Benchmark AHB2s, one for each pair of 12 inchers and one for the mid-high horns.

Just finished and put the lid on for the looks, not hooked to amps & speakers yet, can't wait !

No idea how (and even if) it will sound, but it's been serious fun to put together at least.

etc6849

It will sound very good (as in world class). I was lucky enough to get a Xilica QR1 off eBay after reading your PMs.

Running a pair of bookshelf speakers off an AHB2 in my office. I configured the QR1 to have two analog outputs fed from Dante, and it sounds really really impressive. I did have to change the default 1ms Dante latency to 5 ms latency for the QR1, but I am going through two network switches to reach my router. I want to do some comparison measurements to my DAC3. I bet the noise floor is very very low. So low, I don't think I could hear a difference (as in with my ear it in my horns and I hear almost nothing).

The Xilica support engineer I talked to said there is a new firmware coming late this month that will enable 96kHz too! Be sure to update Mainboard firmware using USB through XilicaDesigner, then plug in network cable and update the software version over the network using XilicaDesigner. He said the mainboard update via USB will be required in order to use the newer cards they have coming (he wouldn't say what) and perhaps to use the newest software. It is a really neat box and very versatile. Thanks for telling me about it.

No idea how (and even if) it will sound, but it's been serious fun to put together at least.

etc6849

What I plan to do is setup Dante Virtual Sound on my HTPC (instead of my office computer like I did for the test). Then I will use the iPad JRiver app and control playback from JRiver off my HTPC which will serve my office as a second zone. I haven't done it yet, but JRiver lets you use different audio cards for zones or even split soundcard outputs up into different zones.

OP
Fledermaus

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Glad to have a fellow QR1 owner on board ! ;)
Your project is way ahead of mine in terms of complexity, I hope it unfolds seamlessly.
I already upgraded the mainboard firmware once just after unpacking, in order to have the USB input (a more recent feature as it seems) working, so it looks like Xilica is actively developing software and functionalities for this product - this is good news.
I'll add that their online manuals, FAQs and video tutorials are quite clear and complete, which is convenient too.

OP
Fledermaus

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
In action :

After a first session of EQ/crossover tinkering :

So far, so good !

OP
Fledermaus

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
It's getting better (left, right, and average, from the listening position) - not so far from decent indeed, except for the asymmetry in the lower range :

u8qHIb-Actives-new.jpg
:

etc6849

Keep up the good work. That would be a lot try to EQ out (likely you won't be able to)...

I had to use many bass traps to get my system where it is. I just bought Owens Corning 703 4" thick insulation, glued two together, then wrapped them in acoustic fabric. Then I stack the 8" units in front of one another to form 2 ft x 4 ft x 16 in bass traps. Many times cheaper and better than what you can buy for bass traps or acoustic treatments. Some I bought before (the treatments on my ceiling), then I realized how easy it was to make my own.

It's getting better (left, right, and average, from the listening position) - not so far from decent indeed, except for the asymmetry in the lower range :

u8qHIb-Actives-new.jpg
:

OP
Fledermaus

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip ;)
Sure, below 300 Hz it's mostly room dependant. Unfortunately, due to spousal acceptance, heavy bass-trapping is not envisioned. Adding a sub or two in order to fill in the 20-40 Hz range might be more of an option, though I'm not sure about mode management nor integration, visual and sonic ; I am also in talks with the carpenter about the possibility of partitioning the space (closing between the living room and the entrance) in order to limit depressurization and low-range energy dissipation - but those guys never seem to be in a rush to get things done :rolleyes:...

Top Bottom