• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the SINAD of our streaming source? Pandora, NetFlix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.?

dalbert02

I am contemplating the purchased of some new gear. If 99% of my content is streamed, does it really make sense to pursue devices with 120db SINAD? What is the SINAD of streaming services such as Pandora, NetFlix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.? From my understanding, some sources stream audio at 128Kbps or less. Perhaps having gear that can achieve 24 bits of resolution is moot if our sources are barely achieving 16 bit resolution and often much less.

tmuikku

Hi, relevant question. Also would be to ask how about the room? or hearing system?

To get some kind of perspective you could check stuff like this:
For example if you listen in domestic environment with refrigerator somewhere audible:
"In general, a kitchen appliance that purrs under 40 decibels is considered to be quite silent for the standard household."

More about noises

And sinad

So, if fun nice listening level with your stereo system is something like 80 or perhaps 90db at listening position, which could be only perhaps 60db above your room background noise. If your system noise ends up being 10 or 20 or 40db below your background noise, how much does it matter?

Also, mind about gain staging in order not to introduce additional noise beyond the specsheet!:)
Hopefully SINAD of streaming services is fine enough. I would bet it is a lot better than average turn table setup. Compression artefacts is another matter, I think there was surprisingly audible difference with Tidal hifi subscription to the standard one, tried several years ago though. Also, you can find listening tests of mp3 compression and what is surprising it is easy to think the 128kbs version sounds better than the uncompressed! go figure

My personal thought is that beyond some SINAD number it becomes irrelevant, and just a marketing tool. Streaming services sound fine to me, given how handy they are. I can listen CD or vinyl when I feel like it. You could A/B test CD and streaming if you feel like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom