• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about listening to music at night...

Digby

Major Contributor
that makes it sound better than in the day? In particular, the few hours before you want to go to bed. No stimulants/depressants involved and it doesn't happen every time, but there is just something about listening at night where I find I can really get into the "feel" of the music. In the day something that is good or great, can become awesome of a night.

Do you experience the same and why is it so?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yes, I sometimes have the same experience. Maybe at the end of the day I can finally relax since I have no more expectations or plans.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Besides “noise” from a very busy, occupied brain, it’s probably also because the noise floor is more consistently low late at night. In the day time, all sorts of noise — e.g. cars, lawn mower, snow removal — intrudes or gets in the way.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so -- I don't know -- so I'll point you to what Steve "Decware" Deckert thinks about the topic. ;)

Kijanki

My room has too much reverberation. Perhaps because at night I listen at lower level I hear fewer multiple reflections resulting in better clarity and imaging.

napfkuchen

For me music works best when window blinds and eyes are closed, also setting the computer monitors to their minimal brightness (as I use speakers connected to my pc) to avoid any distraction. Especially synth music then creates a feeling of a huge soundcloud where different sources float around. Ending the day while relaxing and at the same time focusing on music - perfect.:D

steve59

Major Contributor
Ambient noise is much lower at night in most areas.

D

Deleted member 46062

It’s a mood. It’s something the brain creates. I get the same feeling when I really want a cocktail and finally sit down and take that first delicious sip. Doesn’t happen every time, but when it does, I relish the feeling.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With me the experience gets better until night ventures to about three am. Then, I get sleepy. Kinda stinks because I remember when I could listen all night and make it through the day. But, second winds no longer come my way.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget that human hearing itself tends to vary a bit over the course of a day, with most people's hearing acuity increasing at night.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I live, the noise floor goes from 65-75 dB during the daytime , to currently, 10 PM, 35 dB. Many areas are similar. More information when S/N increases.
There could be other factors, this IME is the main one.

Peace.

Wseaton

I sold high end audio for a bit some years ago.

Having the lights low in our speaker show rooms was a common tactic to improve sales. Its like grocery stores playing upbeat music to improve sales.

However, many golden ear types who were very discriminating would ask us to turn the lights up. They wanted the lighting at the same level as their normal listening environment. Funniest quote I heard was "in a dark enough room even Mirage sounds good".

Top Bottom