• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is best measuring tube headphone amp, to buy in 2023?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

What is best measuring tube headamp to buy in 2023?

Please nobody reply "buy solid state" because I already have state of the art SMSL SP400 THX AAA 888

Thanks!

@solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The whole 'tube amp' business is not about 'best measuring' but rather 'most pleasing sounding to the owner'.
I would not worry about measurements from tube amps.
Only bandwidth and output power are somewhat important numbers here.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
The whole 'tube amp' business is not about 'best measuring' but rather 'most pleasing sounding to the owner'.
I would not worry about measurements from tube amps.
Only bandwidth and output power are somewhat important numbers here.
But there has been one or two with SINAD at least 96dB but I can't recall which.

Maybe substitute "best measuring" for "at least not broken measurements" :D

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Found one:

1686406409887.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Found from 2019:

Amirm wrote: "Overall, if you are determined to put a tube amp on your desk, the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum by Alex Cavalli is the best choice out there. It seemingly does little harm to audio signal unlike the classical tube amplifiers sold to audiophiles."

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's a hybrid though.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY required, but this is the tube headphone/speaker amp that I'd want to build for myself:
http://pmillett.com/Jonokuchi.htm
But it's larger and heavier because it's an all-tube (not hybrid) design.

This would be about the smallest all-tube design that I'm aware of. It's DIY but much more convenient in the sense that all parts are included. Dunno how much output you'll get at the lowest frequencies, but I sure do like building Elekits. They've been able to reduce the size by using an outboard SMPS, and (maybe?) using smallish output transformers.
https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8185

Top Bottom