• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does toe-in mean?

What do you mean by toe in?

• Total voters

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not this one, trust me on that, too. :cool:

Current gf loves the Quads and always wants to hear her latest favorite album on them. That's a rare quality. (They're toed in)
These kind of Quads or the kind sourced from England?
1704308613758.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Not this one, trust me on that, too. :cool:

Current gf loves the Quads and always wants to hear her latest favorite album on them. That's a rare quality. (They're toed in)
That's a lot of trust, so the new one likes quads , a upgrade , 3 becomes 4 , on the up side one can nip out for a beer and no ones non the wiser ...

Your ever growing on me , but let's not got for a 6er, I like life simple .

MRC01

Major Contributor
I think the term from the beginning comes from car racing and how the front tires are setup to optimize for corner taking. No toe-in means that the front tires are pointing straight forward, and with toe-in, it means that the front side of the tires are pointing towards each other which can help in corners. :)
Or hurt in corners. Toe-out makes steering more responsive, but too much makes the car darty and unstable. As with speakers, best performance is achieved with just the right amount.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Menards - a home improvement store in the midwest. Not something I'd want in a relationship...
You'll certainly get wood there, but...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Menards - a home improvement store in the midwest. Not something I'd want in a relationship...
Those Midwestern girls can be fun but don't marry them , their dad could be a attorney and you could loose your seller... wine , not ya Charlie supplier . , that would be fucking unfair.

goat76

Major Contributor
Or hurt in corners. Toe-out makes steering more responsive, but too much makes the car darty and unstable. As with speakers, best performance is achieved with just the right amount.

Ah okay, I remembered that wrong. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You'll certainly get wood there, but...
Lots of wood but insufficient cuts ., it's OK, I'm leaving .

Thank you all for making such a impact in audio , and to those listening, it's OK, sometimes everything is taken away because the worlds not made for the interesting but that galvanises one's actual self... , its ok @SIY , you won in the end or least I thought you did until all this about the wine ...

MRC01

Major Contributor
Ah okay, I remembered that wrong. :)
You weren't wrong - toe-in can improve cornering, for example on rear wheels with rear wheel drive and powerful car, it can make power oversteer more manageable. On the front it can improve stability. I was just clarifying that it can go either way, better or worse, just depends on the car and what you're doing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweet jebus.
I knew a guy who was a pumper, way back in the day, and he had to send his jeans to a seamstress to have inserts sewn in the thighs just so they would fit his legs.
:oops:
Some bike track sprinters have bigger legs than that guy.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming a rectangular room with the speakers placed along a wall:

Toe-in means (to me) anything angled towards the center moreso than aimed directly at the wall behind the listener (parallel to side walls).

As such, aimed at the MLP is like 30° of toe-in if properly spaced.

Parallel is “straight”. You can toe a speaker out, but “toe-out” would be angled towards the closest side wall, which you almost never see.

goat76

Major Contributor
You weren't wrong - toe-in can improve cornering, for example on rear wheels with rear wheel drive and powerful car, it can make power oversteer more manageable. On the front it can improve stability. I was just clarifying that it can go either way, better or worse, just depends on the car and what you're doing.

Anyway, I think the term toe-in when it comes to the placement of loudspeakers was probably borrowed from car racing. If so, it should be pretty clear for everyone that toe-in means that the on-axis of a loudspeakers is turned toward the listener in the sweet spot position, and no longer pointing straightforwardly paralleled with the other loudspeaker. ;)

Chagall

Forum Donor
Assuming a rectangular room with the speakers placed along a wall:

Toe-in means (to me) anything angled towards the center moreso than aimed directly at the wall behind the listener (parallel to side walls).

As such, aimed at the MLP is like 30° of toe-in if properly spaced.

Parallel is “straight”. You can toe a speaker out, but “toe-out” would be angled towards the closest side wall, which you almost never see.

Toe-out then doesn't serve any purpose. I think it's easier to think about it like the image below, 0° being on-axis.

Frame 5.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This from the Absolute Sound... it must be correct:

4) Toe-in affects tonal balance, soundstage width, and image focus.
Toe-in is pointing a loudspeaker inward toward the listener rather than aiming it straight ahead. Toe-in is a powerful tool for dialing-in the soundstage and treble balance. There are no rules for toe-in; the optimal amount will vary greatly with the speaker and the room.

:p

Top Bottom