• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are you most looking forward to in new cameras?

xykreinov

Forum Donor
For me, it's global shutter CMOS sensors in consumer DSLRs.

Tks

Major Contributor
Global shutter on full frames ;) Though this doesn't seem like it's going to happen for consumer cameras. Stacked sensors seem like the way to go if burst speed is to be maintained and improved upon going forward.

But generally, some of the newer features hitting soon on some flagships. Things like focus breathing compensation, eye-tracking based auto focus (when you look through the viewfinder, focus is established based on what you're directly looking at). Pixel-shift in-body processing (I don't want to use an app to do this if I am willing to take the hit on battery life). Fine grained shutter speed customization to compensate for flickering of artificial lights. Ceasing of forced AA filtering as seen on even Cannon's mirrorless flagships. Better quality screens. Gyro metadata that can be used for more reliable video stabilization in post. All cameras to sport full HDMI connectors, fuck those garbage mini-HDMI's and whatnot. Wireless connectivity to easily pipe out images to a local computer. Power Delivery over USB-C where even if I don't have a battery connected to the device, I am able to power it by mains, or external power bricks. Better thermal design (recent strides in framerates of higher resolution videos has resulted in pathetic displays of inept thermals being managed, leading to cameras that need to shut down due to overheating). Speaking of framerates, do not take away lower resolution that allow for very high framerates as bandwidth supports. More cameras to support dual memory card ports, one SD and One CF-Express Type B in a 2X configuration for redundancy. Perhaps more dual-gain or multi-gain settings for different ISO levels. And of course as always, better dynamic range.

Andretti60

Ergonomics.
Good software.
The most used controls should be easily available.
Good (that means: usable) VF
Easy to use/access settings menus, camera manufacturers should invest more on good software engineers.

I gave up compact cameras long ago, now I use them only for family photos, none of them cover the above points.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Z9 is here and it's impressive, $5500.

artburda

I‘d like to see a full frame or aps-c camera system that uses lenses with leaf shutters. No more ND filters when shooting wide open on a sunny day and higher sync speed with strobes/speedlights and no loss of power unlike when using the commonly used high speed sync modes.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, it's global shutter CMOS sensors in consumer DSLRs.
it's a big topic :)
I hope they won't increase but decrease number of megapixels, which in turn will:
- require less expensive glass
- slower or more efficient CPUs
- better battery life
- global shutter will be achievable
- faster sensor readout and
- less rolling shutter in video
- better low light performance
- better color performance
- no overheat or time limit for video
- cheaper overall camera, CPU, sensor, lenses
- With big pixels even Foveon might become feasible.

Other things
- webcam function
- get bigger batteries and better grips for mirrorless
- start selling cheap prime lenses
- offer decent zoom lenses, not soapy muddy ones
- try matrixes other than RGBG. that will improve demosaicing performance

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not going to hold my breath waiting for it to appear, but I want to see round image sensors for a variety of reasons:
  • For mobile device shooters, it won't matter if they insist on holding their devices vertically if the final output is round format. But the current situation of watching 9x16 videos on a non-rotating 16x9 display is madness.
  • Can't seem to level the camera properly? With a round image area, it will matter a lot less because you can rotate it without losing a single pixel.
  • And why waste a big chunk of the lens's total imaging area? With a round sensor, you can use it all.
And speaking of mobile device users, why should they have all the fun when it comes to computational imaging? Combining the effortless ease of use of mobile with pro-camera quality for handling high dynamic range lighting would be a fine place to start.

But meanwhile, my current cameras seem fine.

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom