• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are "monkey coffins" exactly and what are "better" designs/alternatives?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monkey coffins are used to burry the sacred monkeys which guard the temples on Bali.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The Japanese, for many years, didn't share their good loudspeakers with the US market.

Pioneer, e.g., gave us these:

View attachment 326443

but not these:

View attachment 326444

;)
Great example!

One of the absolutely most beautiful speakers I know! I heard them once at a party in Paris.

A colleague in Germany had them for many years. He is a Pioneer Collector. Some time ago, he sold them. After that he could afford a luxury holiday journey and a few other expensive gifts for himself and his family. :)

Incidentally, he now uses the JBL Studio 590's, which I also have, and really like them.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not to digress (me?!? :facepalm:) but I would like to get my ears on a pair of those (JBL Studio 590) loudspeakers some time. :)

EDIT: Definitely not monkey coffins.

1700144824372.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have some difficulty following this story, understanding it or finding it appealing. I don't think it's just down to the translation into German. :oops:
I didn't say mr. Ötvös was a fine story teller - but it's still interesting to read and see the efforts that went into building a high-end speaker busines. In particular noting that his principles of design very much followed the ideas espoused here at ASR - which should be no surprise - as we see audio luminaries like Paul Barton, @Sean Olive and @Floyd Toole show up in his autobiography. I found it worthwhile.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I will take a look anon at @eddantes link. We're kind of busy getting ready for houseguests coming this weekend for -- that big Amurrican holiday that happens next week. The one where we all eat ourselves into a stupor, then euthanize any remaining functional brain cells by watching the amusingly misnomered pastime called football.

;)

Oh, on topic (?!!!???!) I think the biggest downside to good ol' monkey coffin design are the built-in resonances. Not a deal-breaker, but one of those things that has to be designed around or mitigated after the fact. On the other hand, boxes are easy to build.

OK, in theory they're easy to build. Unfortunately, for some of us, competence is a stretch goal. ;)

Yes, I really, truly built this (these... yes there were two of 'em). No, I am not proud. It was a quick & dirty experiment with some cheap fullrange buyout drivers from PartsExpress! ;)
Going forward, I think I'd build 'experimental' boxes out of gypsum board ("drywall"). :)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I will take a look anon at @eddantes link. We're kind of busy getting ready for houseguests coming this weekend for -- that big Amurrican holiday that happens next week. The one where we all eat ourselves into a stupor, then euthanize any remaining functional brain cells by watching the amusingly misnomered pastime called football.

;)

Oh, on topic (?!!!???!) I think the biggest downside to good ol' monkey coffin design are the built-in resonances. Not a deal-breaker, but one of those things that has to be designed around or mitigated after the fact. On the other hand, boxes are easy to build.

OK, in theory they're easy to build. Unfortunately, for some of us, competence is a stretch goal. ;)

Yes, I really, truly built this (these... yes there were two of 'em). No, I am not proud. It was a quick & dirty experiment with some cheap fullrange buyout drivers from PartsExpress! ;)
Going forward, I think I'd build 'experimental' boxes out of gypsum board ("drywall"). :)

Haha - this reminds me of another open baffle speaker project of mine

1700162096206.jpeg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Haha - this reminds me of another open baffle speaker project of mine

View attachment 326708
The binder clip really pulls the whole system together! ;)
On topic: Those look like the same drivers?!
The ones from PE were (if memory serves) made by SEAS (or maybe Scanspeak... but I think SEAS) for automobile use (again, as I recall).
I probably should have put then on open baffles.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Yes, maybe the same. They could also have been from Philips or Valvo. Just for fun, I also installed them in my other, relatively large-volume cabinets, where they sounded surprisingly good.

1700164881408.jpeg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Actually, after I posted, I had sort of a flashback, and I am thinking they might have been Vifa. :)
They did sound "pretty OK" (as an organic chemist colleague of mine from long ago was wont to say).
They'd have sounded even better in cabinets as nice looking as yours, of course! Don't tell anyone at ASR... umm...oops. :cool:

Top Bottom